MSR elixir 3 vrs Vaude terraquattro 3P

Bungy

Reaction score
I have been researching for a new tent and narrowed it down to either of the above as they are of the same price, 3 person size (good for one with kit) and aluminium poles.
The MSR is geodesic but inner pitch first but has the benefit of being free standing it is possible to pitch inner only or outer only. The fabric is rips top and it includes a footprint.

The Vaude is a pitch in one design and the entire tent suspends from the aluminium frame.

Both tents have two entrances and their weight and size are negligible when compared. I really struggled to choose between the 2 but ended up opting for the MSR. Time will tell if I chose correctly.

Watching someone pitch a Vaude “inner first” in the pouring rain yesterday, I’d say go for the other one.
The inner ground sheets had puddles on before the outer was in place

The Vaude pitching system is probably the best out there....very quick and easy. Peg the tent corners, unfold the pole(s), clip it all in and you've got a tent. I'm a recent convert with a used Mark II light, which is probably more than 10 years old, and everything still works perfectly.

I can't imagine putting up an inner first tent, like the MSR in the rain though.....I've put up many tents in the rain, so it's all in one for me all day, every day.

Despite this, MSR have a fine reputation, and it's probably a more robust design, but that nagging feeling that the inner will get wet if pitching in the rain bothers me....

D.

Interesting to hear other views and it was a real dilemma when choosing which is why I put this post up in case anyone else was considering the same. The single pitch of the Vaude was tempting and I still might change, you can return for exchange up to 3 weeks as long as it is in perfect condition. I was advised to pitch indoors to try it out in case I wanted to change.

Incidentally it is worth mentioning that the forum discount of 15% was active but at the moment they are offering £50 off when £200 spent which was better by £5.

So today I went back and exchanged the MSR for a Vaude, took it home and tried pitching it in the garden. So much easier and benefitting from all in one pitching. I appreciate the comments given earlier.

Rain aside, you can't beat an inner pitch tent for strength and space.
I have 2 inner pitch tents and they just don't flap in the wind like the up in one jobbies.
That said, I generally tend to use the Hillebergs now … flappy bastards that they are!

Rain aside, you can't beat an inner pitch tent for strength and space.
I have 2 inner pitch tents and they just don't flap in the wind like the up in one jobbies.
That said, I generally tend to use the Hillebergs now … flappy bastards that they are!

I just couldn't stretch the finances to a Hilleberg.

I just couldn't stretch the finances to a Hilleberg.

You don't need to if you have a Vaude!

Which one did you buy? I think somewhere down the line, when finances allow I'll get a Mark L 3p. Can be had for about £280 if you shop around....although there's nothing wrong with the old Mark 2 Light I have, although I've never used it in wet weather. If I replace it, it will be with another Vaude.

Here's the old, second hand Vaude doing its thing...(you might be able to spot a lesser seen Den in the camper van).

IMG_20180608_155029 by deksawyer, on Flickr

I have a Vango Mistral 200. My list came down to it or the MSR Elixir 2. Ultimately decision was based primarily on cost. Vango was under 2/3 the cost of Mistral, and has essentially the same design & features.

There is also a Mistral 300:

You don't need to if you have a Vaude!

Which one did you buy? I think somewhere down the line, when finances allow I'll get a Mark L 3p. Can be had for about £280 if you shop around....although there's nothing wrong with the old Mark 2 Light I have, although I've never used it in wet weather. If I replace it, it will be with another Vaude.

Here's the old, second hand Vaude doing its thing...(you might be able to spot a lesser seen Den in the camper van).

IMG_20180608_155029 by deksawyer, on Flickr

I ended up with the Vaude Terra Quattro 3P.
my only disappointment was the 6 pegs that come with it when it needs 12.

I ended up with the Vaude Terra Quattro 3P.
my only disappointment was the 6 pegs that come with it when it needs 12.

I very much doubt your tent should only be supplied with 6 pegs?

Mind you, what Terra Nova supply with their light tents to manipulate the weight claims can only be described as kebab skewers at best.

When Hilleberg designed the Enan, they could have kept it under a kilo, but refused to compromise the pegs or leave out the spare pole section.

But whatever the tent, I always carry 4 of these now …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2915879568...1007201&device=c&campaignid=1058615745&crdt=0

… as they will not let you down no matter how soft the ground or wild the wind.

Back
Top Bottom