1290 SAS Traction control - explain it to me!

xantamisch

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
couple of questions - mainly if the MTC cuts in does the light flash? i've seen the light when back wheel has spun, but not wheelying.

Basically, I pull little wheelies (I'm crap at them) but not sure if MTC is cutting in or if it's just me stopping the front come up more. Or do you need to disable MTC to get the full 'sh@t meself' treatment?

thanks

It will not wheelie with the TC active, in street mode it will try and stop it lifting at all and if you manage to force the wheel off the floor the electronics will have it back down in no time.

Sport mode allows it to skim and skip a little, but again it will stop a proper wheelie from happening.

Turn of TC off and try not to flip yourself into a hospital bed :thumb2

It will not wheelie with the TC active, in street mode it will try and stop it lifting at all and if you manage to force the wheel off the floor the electronics will have it back down in no time.

Sport mode allows it to skim and skip a little, but again it will stop a proper wheelie from happening.

Turn of TC off and try not to flip yourself into a hospital bed :thumb2

On the 1290?

Only tested a 1290, but it seemed like the 1190 in that Street mode really held it back, but sport mode let it pull a lot harder and would let the wheel momentarily skip off the floor without instantly slamming the throttle shut on your behalf.

Only tested a 1290, but it seemed like the 1190 in that Street mode really held it back, but sport mode let it pull a lot harder and would let the wheel momentarily skip off the floor without instantly slamming the throttle shut on your behalf.

Ah, gotcha. On the 1290, you just disable MTC and it’ll lift the front wheel as high as you’re brave to go. I put a video in here earlier from the TT, and one of the first things the guy does is turn it off and do a massive wheelie.

Ah, gotcha. On the 1290, you just disable MTC and it’ll lift the front wheel as high as you’re brave to go. I put a video in here earlier from the TT, and one of the first things the guy does is turn it off and do a massive wheelie.

Same as 1190, the point I was making is that with any TC enabled mode you will not be able to wheelie, and although obvious to some, others may not appreciate once they turn it off their previously unsuccessful attempts to wheelie by giving it a fistful and dumping the clutch may result in an instant back flip.

The thing that annoys me is it cannot be changed on the move I would love to be able to quickly disable it as I see a nice crest in the road, and then turn it back on again after floating a little wheelie over the crest.

strange - I manage mini wheelies over crests with TC enabled, suspect TC brings it down pretty fast but not sure as light doesn't flash

Is the system customisable on the KTM as it is on my hypermotard ?

I have 3 modes rain ( never bother as its too intrusive) sport and race

I have the factory settings on sport which lets the front lift a little and I have turned it on just a little bit in race mode so that it comes up high enough to scare me a bit then gets controlled nicely avoiding the loop to the tarmac

strange - I manage mini wheelies over crests with TC enabled, suspect TC brings it down pretty fast but not sure as light doesn't flash

Likewise but that's more to do with forward momentum and the road disappearing from under the front wheel, there's very little TC can do about that.

Andres

Likewise but that's more to do with forward momentum and the road disappearing from under the front wheel, there's very little TC can do about that.

Andres

Exactly, I would like to be able to get a nice long float over a crest rather than one of these short lived "Mini Wheelies" xantamisch seems content with :D

It was worse when I first had a TC machine as I would get myself all setup for a bit of a wheelie, wind on the throttle and then almost get thrown over the bars when the extra thrust I anticipated was downgraded to a sudden loss of power by the "Safety Feature".

Same as 1190, the point I was making is that with any TC enabled mode you will not be able to wheelie, and although obvious to some, others may not appreciate once they turn it off their previously unsuccessful attempts to wheelie by giving it a fistful and dumping the clutch may result in an instant back flip.

The thing that annoys me is it cannot be changed on the move I would love to be able to quickly disable it as I see a nice crest in the road, and then turn it back on again after floating a little wheelie over the crest.

You can change it on the move on the 1290. Just program one of the favourite buttons and it’s a quick press of the button to turn it on or off :thumb

, wind on the throttle and then ....

Shut your gas reasonably aggressively and compress your forks. Time that, so that they rebound just on the peak of your crest, and then wind on the gas .... :thumb

Shut your gas reasonably aggressively and compress your forks. Time that, so that they rebound just on the peak of your crest, and then wind on the gas .... :thumb

Great advice, thanks Officer :thumb2

Can I quote you in court :nenau

Great advice, thanks Officer :thumb2

Can I quote you in court :nenau

Bread and butter stuff for clearing obstacles on an off road bike..!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom