Tool tubes

pitrat101

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, anyone fitted tool tubes to the vario panniers? if so how did you mount them? or is the a better way or place to put them. Just started camping on bike so new to this game! uploaded a pic of bike as I load it to show what space I have.

Attachments

• IMG-20180617-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20180617-WA0000.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 1,112
I bought a tool tube for my 2007gs and tried all manner of ways to fit it to the bike, all without success, and ended up selling it on. There just isn't the room available for it.
If you do come up with a solution I'd be very interested as I'd still like a tool tube for it.

Hi, anyone fitted tool tubes to the vario panniers? if so how did you mount them? or is the a better way or place to put them. Just started camping on bike so new to this game! uploaded a pic of bike as I load it to show what space I have.

Why not put a small number of the most useful tools (which you’ll probably rarely ever use) into one of the no less than five boxes / bags you have attached to your bike? Nice ratchet straps, by the way.

attachment.php

PS If and when you ever fit a tool tube to your awsome, don’t forget to thread any sockets (and smaller tools) onto a wire. Why? Becuause, if you don’t, the chances are they’ll slide down to the bottom of the tube and you’ll not be able to get them out easily, or you’ll be forced to remove the tube to tip them out onto the ground. Either of the latter options will not go down well when it’s dark, pissing down on the side of a motorway. Nor will it enhance your rugged bikermate image, whilst you struggle with a twig - like some sort of demented chimp - to fish them out with or start crying as your 10mm socket (carried, unused until that point, for the last 10,000 miles) rolls into Tesco’s car park drain.

PPS Several of the replies in this thread should rid you of the silly notion that any of your cunning plan is a good idea:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...g-Tool-Tubes-finally-Fitted-to-Mark-3-1200-GS

PPPS This cool dude came up with an easy solution, probably by using his imagination:

237441624-L.jpg

It’s very shiny, which some might think will attract magpies and / or thieving scrotes. So, wrap it in tech tactical cammo wrap, Blue Peter style

Why not put a small number of the most useful tools (which you’ll probably rarely ever use) into one of the no less than five boxes / bags you have attached to your bike? Nice ratchet straps, by the way.

attachment.php

PS If and when you ever fit a tool tube to your awsome, don’t forget to thread any sockets (and smaller tools) onto a wire. Why? Becuause, if you don’t, the chances are they’ll slide down to the bottom of the tube and you’ll not be able to get them out easily, or you’ll be forced to remove the tube to tip them out onto the ground. Either of the latter options will not go down well when it’s dark, pissing down on the side of a motorway. Nor will it enhance your rugged bikermate image, whilst you struggle with a twig - like some sort of demented chimp - to fish them out with or start crying as your 10mm socket (carried, unused until that point, for the last 10,000 miles) rolls into Tesco’s car park drain.

PPS Several of the replies in this thread should rid you of the silly notion that any of your cunning plan is a good idea:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...g-Tool-Tubes-finally-Fitted-to-Mark-3-1200-GS

PPPS This cool dude came up with an easy solution, probably by using his imagination:

237441624-L.jpg

It’s very shiny, which some might think will attract magpies and / or thieving scrotes. So, wrap it in tech tactical cammo wrap, Blue Peter style

Or you could just ignore the man who knows everything and can type a search with his eyes closed,
I use my tool tube for my electric pump, stop and go kit and tyre pressure gauge, I put them all into a large sock, slip them into the tube and put the lid on,
If needed I can just pull on the sock to remove easily, no need for threading it all into a piece of wire, I can even use said socks to wipe my hands on afterwards.

The sock serves the same purpose as the wire, yes. Either way, the bod will now know how to avoid the bits ‘n bobs rattling around down the tube, out of reach. It’s hints like this that make this site so great, don’t you think?

Now, how does he fix his tool tube to his 1200 GS with its Vario panniers? Got any ideas, mate?

PS Do you think he brings the block of wood to support the bike on its centre stand, with him? Or does he fashion it, Adventure Bike Rider style, using only a spoon? If he brings it with him, he can ditch it and use the space saved to carry a few tools, perhaps?

He'll struggle to get his boots on, if his socks are stuffed with an electric pump, stop and go kit, tyre pressure gauge and a wire with assorted nuts threaded onto it. :augie

Good advice there from Tarka.

OP If you plan on ditching the tool tube idea * you can buy a pretty neat little bag thing that goes under the top box mounting plate. It will certainly do to carry all the very basic tools you’ll ever need, I promise.

Even if you go the whole hog and insist on carrying enough tools to carry out a full service on the road, the lot will fit in a reasonably small roll, that will certainly go into one of your five carrying bags / boxes.

https://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html

* See how many come up for sale on this site, often with the word ‘unused’ in the sales pitch.

HAHA! Tool tube purely to carry a fuel bottle on the outside, the last time I put it luggage but it leaked so just wanted it outside. Don't carry tools that's what recovery is for! And I'm sure over time I will lose a box or bag! Anyway that's a bonus for me as stops the Mrs gegging in on a lads weekend away!

HAHA! Tool tube purely to carry a fuel bottle on the outside, the last time I put it luggage but it leaked so just wanted it outside. Don't carry tools...

The devil is all in the detail. What actually want to know is:

How, using Vario panniers, can I carry a small (it must be small, to fit in a tool tube) fuel container, preferably without it spilling

That’s a whole different can of worms you’ve just opened.

Hang it in a sock, perhaps? gazza12adv can advise on style, no doubt.

PS The answer is out there:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-419393.html

First post and last. Ignore the ones inbetween as they refer to the hard panniers. Andy79 got it worked out (sussed, to use the bikermate vernacular) in the closing post. No pictures though, which is sad, like no potato.

Or try:

https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/15-accessories/4368-water-gas-can-mount-stock-panniers.html

Fuel pump idea well shelved! Just got some screen wash pipe under seat. Just looking for a good way to carry the fuel bottle. On reflection the pump was a bad idea!

Fuel pump idea well shelved! Just got some screen wash pipe under seat. Just looking for a good way to carry the fuel bottle. On reflection the pump was a bad idea!

You are the same guy as asked about the remote fuel pump, prompted by your mate running out of fuel?

:jes

Yeah! Just new to this adventure bike stuff and camping. But just from this tread i already got an ideai would have never thought of doing. Funny enough came from the banter side of things which I do find most amusing! Got start somewhere I suppose and the bottom is a good place! Haha

Good man.

The best tip, for anyone new to carting stuff on a motorcycle, is that less is more.

Pack once. Unpack. Halve your stuff. Re-pack. Unpack, halve again. Repeat as necessary. The more space you’ve got, the more stuff you’ll take, trust me.

When you return, look at what you actually used. Did you really need the other stuff you carried along at all? Do this a few times and you’ll soon get the hang of it. You can start by ditching the block of wood.

A breakdown service plastic card takes up very little space. In-tyre goo takes up no space "on" the bike and no need for tyre pump, stop n go kit, etc.

Back
Top Bottom