Clutch issue, screeching and grabbing

austen_gs

Reaction score
So just picked up a 16plate 1200, if you pull away very gingerly, IE llow revs and feed clutch in slowly (proper miss daisy), it pulls away fine, but if you give it a few revs and release clutch quickly (not dumping just to pull out of a junction/away from lights sharpish, it makes a load screech (like finger nails on a blackboard), lurches forward and stalls, all very violently. If I dip the clutch while riding , give it a few revs and then engage clutch again it makes same screeching noise. Clutch biting point is very near top and also almost on/off

Picked bike up on Friday from a bike dealer and rode it to Belgium and back, only noticing the issue when I was miles from home, so just used clutch gently and everything was fine for the 1000miles I covered.

Dealer did an oil change service before I picked bike up. I would describe it as if it had no oil on clutch plates, but oil level is fine.

Any ideas?? At least clutch is easy to get to on these LC versions :)

Not that it makes any difference but it's an r1200 not gs

Is the clutch slipping under high load? Was the dealer a pukka BMW outlet? If so, you should have got a warranty with it.

That crossed my mind too. Dealer: "Them BMW boxers have dry clutches, don't they. I'll fill it with this nice cheap car oil full of friction modifiers. Work a treat".

No Mr Dealer, the LCs have a conventional (for a motorcycle) multiplate wet clutch. These need motorcycle oil as the friction modifiers in car oil affect their operation. Doesn't apply to the dry clutch because, well the name says it - they are dry.

Spoke to dealer today. I'm.taking it to BMW for a diagnosis.

The clutch doesn't slip at all, I always thought wrong oil caused slip rather than grabbing and screeching

Back
Top Bottom