FM radio / Bluetooth query

Aidan1150

Nice but unfortunate husband.
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Occasionally I like to listen to the radio whilst on the bike. I achieve this by using an RTE or BBC radio app on my phone which then transmits the sound via Bluetooth to my Sena unit. All good so far.

My problem occurs when I am in poor mobile coverage which happens quite frequently in rural Ireland so I am wondering if it is possible to get an FM radio that will transmit the sound directly to the Sena?

Ideally, if available, it would run off the bikes 12V which would save faffing about with batteries. I'm not bothered if it would need an antenna as I could fit one quite easily.

Any ideas or suggestions please chaps?

Caution - the lead from said portable radio to ear buds is normally the aerial. Just make sure the Bluetooth adapter can act as an aerial. I haven't found one that does yet but I’m dying to find a Bluetooth solution for the same reason as yoU!!

Caution - the lead from said portable radio to ear buds is normally the aerial. Just make sure the Bluetooth adapter can act as an aerial. I haven't found one that does yet but I’m dying to find a Bluetooth solution for the same reason as yoU!!
Good point.

Just to ask the daft question, your Sena doesnt have an FM radio built in ? (I thought most bluetooth units had FM radio's in).

RBW.

It's a Sena SMH5-FM so it does actually but the quality of the reception is not very good which is why I was using the phone which although generally better still suffers when the data signal is poor.

Ahh, yes I see. For what its worth I had a major problem with reception for the FM radio on my Cardo SRC collar for a Schuberth C4 Pro, and was using custom moulded plugs with speakers so didnt need to install the helmet earpieces. When I had a problem with my earpieces I went back to installing the helmet speakers, and suddenly the FM radio was fine. The reason was that the cable for them is the aerial to the FM radio (which in hindsight makes perfect sense).

The point I guess is that it might be worth messing around with the leads for the helmet speakers before calling time on the internal unit, unless you have already tried moving the cables. Making sure one of the cables goes over the top of the helmet rather than around the back of your neck made a big difference.

RBW.

What about one of these......... here which looks like it can take an external antenna and might even be used with one of those bluetooth adaptors that AA suggested at the top of the thread.

It doesn’t answer your question, but I find that I tend to ride with the radio when I am on my own so no need for BT. If I am out with mates I don’t use the radio.

So, custom earbuds to the radio if solo and BT through the helmet if with friends. This wouldn’t work for you would it?

It doesn’t answer your question, but I find that I tend to ride with the radio when I am on my own so no need for BT. If I am out with mates I don’t use the radio.

So, custom earbuds to the radio if solo and BT through the helmet if with friends. This wouldn’t work for you would it?

Afraid not Andy as I feckin hate ear buds. Can't use them at all. :blush

It's a Sena SMH5-FM so it does actually but the quality of the reception is not very good which is why I was using the phone which although generally better still suffers when the data signal is poor.

Hi Aidan
Seems the Sena uses the right speaker wire as an antenna. What have you done with the excess wire? Is it coiled up?
In this thread, Send advises not coiling it up, but rather running the right speaker wire over the top of the inside of the helmet to maximise reception.https://support.sena.com/hc/en-us/c...tions-on-maximizing-FM-reception-with-SMH5-FM

Back
Top Bottom