F650GS - to buy or not??

emf#53

Looking to change current bike and seen 2003 F 650GS with 25,000 miles on the clock for £2500 ish - it has ABS, heated grips, pannier rails and engine bars.
It would appear to be in good condition.
Is £2,500 a good deal or about average - anything I should look for in particular?
Would it be up to a week in Europe two up?

Lots of questions I know - any response welcome.

Cheers

I bought my R1150GS because, in my opinion, my Aprilia Pegaso 650 (same bike as early F650GS) wasn't up to the job of my frequent long trips. I found the gearing too short for anything more than 100 miles of high speed touring. The high revs and constant vibration became quite jarring. The R1150GS in comparison with its 6 gears and lower revving engine at speed completely changed my opinion of distance riding. Plus the seat was a lot more comfortable. I really wouldn't want to do a huge distance two-up on that seat and with that engine.

I have since ridden a newer F650GS and a CS and they have done nothing to change my opinion - although they are now a little smoother than my Pegaso was.

Someone like Tiff however may beg to differ having been to Timboctou on a 650. However, she didn't do it two-up.

Mike

Used bike values now available here...
http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_bike/

£2500 seems a good price but it is high mileage.

Check head bearings, a common fault, and all the usual that you'd check on any used bike. Tyres, brake pads, chain and sprocket etc.

Check seat heat. Standard is the low seat. High seat was an optional extra. If you're tall you will find the low seat cramped.

Touring Europe 2 up?
Well yes it'd do it but it's certainly not the best bike if that's your main use. I think it's comfortable enough but it's lack of power is highlighted when loaded with luggage and pillion.

Depends upon your expectations.
I think my 650 Dakar is great when riding solo and it'll cope with a weekend trip with the missus. I wouldn't be afraid to try a longer tour but I haven't yet so can't comment further.

650GS on Long Trips

If you want to find some info on trips with an F650GS look no further than this site:- http://www.trishmsresearch.org.au/we_ride_4_ms.htm
I was amazed they ever made it so I rented one in OZ recently and was most impressed (one up with luggage though). I found it a bit thumpy after my 1150GS but far easier to ride on dirt roads but maybe that's because I'm a bit of a novice. I don't have any long term ownership experience though, I would however have liked a bit higher cruising speed but life's a compromise isn't it? At least it's easy to pick up when you drop it!

Hi EMF
My thoughts about the 650GS are as follows:
My son is on his 2nd Dakar GS and it is a really good bike, seems to run 2 up at 80mph with-out fuss, I have ridden on the pillion loads of times , it is cramped for long journeys but for a slim lady it would be OK, I do however have to say the obvious, it is not as good as the 1100/1150GS. So you might want to reconsider if your main use for this bike will be continental touring?

I have an XT600 Yamaha which I bought and kept in Arizona for 7 years, I used it for holidays, doing 3 trips of over over 3000 miles, with Mrs. on the back plus luggage for 3 weeks, so it can be done and the 650GS is a much better bike than the xt600.
You might well get a good 1100GS for that price? So there you have it.

Good luck, Barrie.

Back
Top Bottom