1190 adventure r seat height

gebrauchtwagen83

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was wondering how the 1190 ad R compares to the 1200gsa in seat height. I’ve been eyeing one up but don’t want to drive 75 miles just to sit on it.
It shows 890mm which on paper is the same as my gsa. I find that too tall and use a lower seat with which it feels fine. The options for a low seat for the ktm are few and far between.
Any advice much appreciated

I was wondering how the 1190 ad R compares to the 1200gsa in seat height. I’ve been eyeing one up but don’t want to drive 75 miles just to sit on it.
It shows 890mm which on paper is the same as my gsa. I find that too tall and use a lower seat with which it feels fine. The options for a low seat for the ktm are few and far between.
Any advice much appreciated

I run an 1190R and prior to that had an '05 GS and found little difference TBH. The R felt a bit higher but the seat is narrower so actually felt easier to support at a standstill as your legs aren't spread out so much. It's also a much lighter bike than a GSA so I imagine that'll makes a difference to how it feels. Don't forget also the two piece (GS like) seat form the S will fit, you may find that different again to the one piece R seat.

As with most things like this though I think you should hunt out an R and try it for size. Bare figures do not tell the whole story.

Lower seats are available. Seat Concepts for one do different profiles/heights and there are plenty of custom seat makers out there that will make a one off to your spec.

Andres

You could always replace the one piece 1190R seat with the standard two piece 1190S version

Not sure if that helps, you can put it in the "Low" position whereas the one piece only has one position, but it is a wider seat.

The Mrs tried the two piece of my 1190 on her 1090 and reckoned it made no difference....

….But as Andres has already pointed out the 500kg weight reduction and 75% narrower bike with no cylinders in the way of your feet will be more than enough to make up for any slight seat height differential.

I’m just trying to gauge whether it’s worth going to see it. How does it ride?

I’m just trying to gauge whether it’s worth going to see it. How does it ride?

Grab a handful and wit for the needle to hit 6k...................It'll blow the GSA out of the water :D Handling, once the high quality suspension is properly set up is pretty spot on, you shouldn't be disapointed.

There's shed loads of info in here, filter out the waffling and if you read it all you'll know as much as anybody CLICK ME

I've had mine new since '14 and still love it. It still makes me smile every time I ride it. Absolutely no plans to get shot yet...........

Andres

Rode the latest WC GS and it felt quite good up to about 2500 rpm, but by 3k the 1190 is noticeably stronger, and the performance gap just grows larger from that point.

The GS is also a tad smoother, but apart from that the 1190 is superior in every other area (IMHO of course) except the lack of CC.

I’d be going to it from a 2009 gsa . I’m still a little worried about the height and don’t know if I want to drive 70 miles just to find out it’s too tall. Certainly the gsa with stock seat is too tall for me and the 660 tenere is too tall for me despite it being slimmer.

I’d be going to it from a 2009 gsa . I’m still a little worried about the height and don’t know if I want to drive 70 miles just to find out it’s too tall. Certainly the gsa with stock seat is too tall for me and the 660 tenere is too tall for me despite it being slimmer.

I too went from a 09 GSA to a 1190 but the s model all my gsa did was break down i never looked back...

You'll never say 'Gimme More Power Captain' aboard the 1190 thats for sure .. till you lust after the 1290 of course..:green gri

If you like the idea of the KTM you can get a spring from Hyperpro that gives more sag. I've put one on my 1190 and although it looks the same height when it's on the sidestand, once you've swung a leg over it settles down and I can flat foot it. Only drawback is that it's best to remove the centrestand in case it scrapes when cornering hard. I've gone to the edge of the tyres and still not touched the pegs down, so no worries there

I too went from a 09 GSA to a 1190 but the s model all my gsa did was break down i never looked back...

You'll never say 'Gimme More Power Captain' aboard the 1190 thats for sure .. till you lust after the 1290 of course..:green gri

There'll be a nice one for sale in 2 weeks......

My 1190R is definitely higher than my Twin Cam GSA, but it has got the PP seat (on low) fitted. It's fecking tall. Borderline doable for me @ 5'10". Standard seat is lower, but a plank.

Just done 260 odd miles on mine today, inc. the length of Wales, much of which was little more than tarmac'd goat track. Epicly enjoyable. Cracking bike.

But, if you can't be arsed to drive 70 miles to try it, then you can't want one much :nenau

Just look for an S Model as they are a bit lower, why insist you want a really tall bike when you don't like really tall bikes?

I would imagine the S is a lot more manageable than the GSA, lighter, narrower, lower.

Back
Top Bottom