Sounds like the end of the road for my GS ownership

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well seems like the Lemon has had a final attempt to end my GS ownership.

First full week back on the bike - A nice run to work today, and this is what i get on arriving home :(

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/etIQ7A46UYQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure what.. sounds like big ends, but lessens on throttle, and seems to be located in the RH side of the engine

Not sure what to do at this stage-

Call it a day and go and buy somthing else

Get a SH engine and swap it

Or get some one to look (although i cant see it being a cheap fix)

:(

do they not have a tiny push rod in about an inch long thats prone to failing

Well seems like the Lemon has had a final attempt to end my GS

Never the end of the road ...... There are talented businesses on this site which will soon sort out ... Any problem.
I appreciate the distances involved, but well worth the effort 👍🏻

Just had the RH cover off,

All looks ok inside, no obvious bits falpping around

all valves clearances were loose at tdc and tight (not checked ) when on open and close

just going to torque it up and have another look when its running

Sounds even more like a tractor now!:D

I hope you sort it :thumb

Are you 100% that you were on compression stroke (with all valves rocking), and not exhaust stroke when checking clearances ?

Leaking head gasket, barrel base gasket or blowing exhaust gasket, loose secondary sparkplug ?, youtube video clip has terrible audio so hard to tell normal clatter from unwanted noise.

Did this noise just start suddenly ? Any oil warning light ? How hot is the engine ?

I’m genuinely sorry to hear this, despite the previous banter we’ve had.

In all seriousness, talk to Mikeyboy. He really does perform miracles on engines as you already know. It’s worth getting a quote at least.

Are you 100% that you were on compression stroke (with all valves rocking), and not exhaust stroke when checking clearances ?

Leaking head gasket, barrel base gasket or blowing exhaust gasket, loose secondary sparkplug ?, youtube video clip has terrible audio so hard to tell normal clatter from unwanted noise.

Did this noise just start suddenly ? Any oil warning light ? How hot is the engine ?

Tappets loose was best guess, it was at tdc follwing inlet valves closing - HG not leaking nor ex gasket leaking pretty sure its not loose lower plug - ( i will check later)

If you play the clip through headphones you'll hear it lol engine was at normal temp 5 bars ??

its like a clacking / clanging noise everytime intime with an inlet /exhaust stroke.

Lots of YT vids with the same type noise . but not have a defined solution

IF thats waht those bloody pushrods sound like when they fail!!! jesus

do you know if they can be done in situ or is it head off / timing redone ??

I’m genuinely sorry to hear this, despite the previous banter we’ve had.

In all seriousness, talk to Mikeyboy. He really does perform miracles on engines as you already know. It’s worth getting a quote at least.

Cheers, :)

I know where your comming from .. no worries ;)

Mikeys about 300 miles from me so its a big old journey to get up there...

ive also got to factor in the cost of a repair against market value of the bike ..

not sure what to do at the mo .....

Cheers, :)

I know where your comming from .. no worries ;)

Mikeys about 300 miles from me so its a big old journey to get up there...

ive also got to factor in the cost of a repair against market value of the bike ..

not sure what to do at the mo .....
I’m only at Melton Mowbray not Aberdeen:D
Prob cost around £150 to get a courier to bring it up

From the vid clip it sounds like both sides though

interesting- when you near the bike , it sounds like mainly the right, and its more pronounced RHS its no tappet or injector tick thats for sure-

its like a fullblown clanging noise but almost like a big end but not big end if that makes sense?

I’m only at Melton Mowbray not Aberdeen:D
Prob cost around £150 to get a courier to bring it up

200 miles ;)

can you do the pushrods with the heads in situ?

or do you lose the timing when you take the rocker assys off

I'm wondering if your cam timing has somehow altered, allowing piston to valve contact.

How does it start, is it laboured ??

If it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all mate !

I'm wondering if your cam timing has somehow altered, allowing piston to valve contact.

How does it start, is it laboured ??

60 seconds ago - hear the difference when its cold !

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0pkRBC5jeNQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom