NAV 5 with Autocom

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm after peoples experiences when using the Nav 5 with the Autocom SPA.

I will be picking up a bike later this week which has a Nav 5 fitted, so my only option with that if I wire in the Autocom will be to use the Autocom BT02 module. I have read various reports that the Bluetooth can be a bit hit & miss when playing Music or for directions. So is it worth buying the module or not?

My Plan B is to remove the Nav5 and hard wire in my Garmin 595 which I know will work well.

Cheers for reading

Baz

Cheers Andy, that's proably what Ill do, just thought I would ask first.

I have the exact setup you mention for my wife and I. It works ok, the volume doesn’t really go as loud as I would like and the Bluetooth drops out sometimes although reconnects with 10-30 seconds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like the hard wired option then. More difficult to install, but at least it will work properly.
Cheers

Baz

When I got my bike, I had a zumo 550, which fits in the NavV mounting, but the wheel does not work. The Zumo 550 has a jack output for sound, but it's position is covered by the NavV mounting. I made a hole through the NavV mount so that I could plug the 3.5 jack plug into the Zumo550. Worked fine with the Autocom.

I'm after peoples experiences when using the Nav 5 with the Autocom SPA.

I will be picking up a bike later this week which has a Nav 5 fitted, so my only option with that if I wire in the Autocom will be to use the Autocom BT02 module. I have read various reports that the Bluetooth can be a bit hit & miss when playing Music or for directions. So is it worth buying the module or not?

My Plan B is to remove the Nav5 and hard wire in my Garmin 595 which I know will work well.

Cheers for reading

Baz

The Nav V has an audio output which you could plug into the Autocom. Depending on which bike you have, the wiring loom for the Nav V has a power plug which connects to the bike, plus a spare connector that on most bikes, apart from the RT when it has an audio system fitted, is left unconnected. I have tapped into this and fitted a 3.5 mm audio socket and proved that you can get an audio feed from it, though only when you turn off BlueTooth on the Nav V.

Just out of interest I have seen a BT03 module advertised on eBay which is stated to be compatible with the TFT, which apparently the BT02 is not.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUETOOT...MW-1200-GS-TFT-/232817859885?oid=232780617644

Fred

The autocom BTo2 moduloe is fragile and prone to failure and signal drop

I dont ever recall seeing a audio out jack on the Nav 5

There isn't an audio jack on the actual satnav, but the mount connector takes an audio output from the satnav and takes it down the standard BMW cable which goes into the right hand side of the fairing (on the GS) At the end of this cable are two connectors. One of them connects to the bike's wiring loom and provides power and presumably also a connection to the data bus. The other connector is normally not connected to anything and just has a dummy mating connector on it. This is the one that carries the audio, and on an RT equipped with audio system this plugs into the bike and allows the satnav instructions to go through the bike's audio system.

Using the Autocom SPA unit with the Bluetooth module connected to a TomTom Rider 400 for at least a couple of years. Yes, the BT does disconnect occasionally but it's not difficult to reconnect. Think I have done this 3 times in the last two years. I have just completed 1400 miles around Spain/Portugal as well as 500 mile trip around Snowdonia. Performance was pretty much faultless and no problems with TT SatNav comms. From memory, the Autocom BT2 module only supports one channel. So, as mentioned on another thread, connection to a smartphone goes from phone to TT, then from TT to Autocom control unit, and then to headset via hardwire. Hope that makes sense.

I have hard wired my Garmin 590 to the autocom SPA today. Nav 5 will be up for sale shortly.

Back
Top Bottom