Importing Bike VAT?

EyeCake

Reaction score
I have found a 15 month old bike in UK with only 5000 km and VRT rules say 6000km or pay VAT
Does the invoice mileage matter or will they just look at odometer when i bring to be tested.
I will easily have done over 600 in 2 weeks after I drive it back
Thanks

You could nicely ask them to put your estimated mileage on arrival in Ireland on the invoice, if buying from a nice dealer, as that will be the real mileage when you arrive at the Irish border.

Surely if VAT has been paid in the UK when the bike was new, it does not have to be paid again if it stays within the EU?

The NCT fella thoroughly checked the last bike I brought in, including the mileage. He even had a torch with him when checking that the vin numbers match the documentation etc.
Way more thorough than when the vehicle reg people were doing it. They also scanned copies of all the docs (keeping some so make copies for yourself) including proof of when it came in to the country (a delivery docket in my case).
My invoice didn't say mileage but it had 40k on it anyway so well over the limit.

Mileage is only checked at time of inspection at your local NCT centre, they will have no interest in the mileage at time of purchase. Take the long, twisty way home and rack up the mileage as you go - happy days! :thumb2

You have 30 days to register (not present) the bike from the date of importation and the mileage they use is the mileage on the bike on the day you present it.

Back
Top Bottom