XT 660 Z

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any good as an off roader? :nenau
I've never ridden one as of yet. I'm trying to find a bike to use for a trip to Iceland / TAT sort of thing. Are the engines reliable? Gearboxes etc...
What's the tank range like on a standard bike and can you getter bigger tanks for them? Seats comfy for a 6' lardass? :D
Ta.

I did The Vince on my old Husky TE630 and a mate came along on one of the Yams.

We rode there and back and it was a great road bike, more than capable of covering the miles and in relative comfort. Mind you my Husky was just as capable just not quite as comfy (plank seat).

We swapped bikes loads, both on road and on the trails. It's probably not fair to compare it to the Husky but..... I found it ok on road but very heavy and slow steering compared to the Husky and you sit 'in' it (which I didn't like) rather than 'on' it (which I do like).

On the trails..............I absolutely hated it and found it a right heavy handful, mind you it crashes well :D

I must add that my mate is a much better rider than me off road and he loves it and whilst he'd agree with all of the above he's fine with that.

Reliability? Well if his is anything to go by they are bullet proof as his is well used and abused and he's had no issues.

Andres

Have a look on www.xt660.com, lots of info, covers all the xt range with sub sections for each model, I have a 2005 xtx model super moto, fuel injection not great, jerky at constant throttle settings but can be sorted for £150, not sure if the issues apply to all models.
Looking at some of the ride reports people do serious miles on the Z.

Al.

A mate and I did a day's trail riding in Wales on our 450 EXC's accompanied by a couple with shiny new XT660's they were going to take off around the world. After the first hour they'd decided to swap them for something lighter.

Just not long sold mine after 4 blissful years, absolutely loved it. For off road it's capable but if the pace picks up the suspension cannot cope, it's also tall and heavy.

Sold it to fund my new AFAS but if I was able to afford to keep it I wouldve...

XT660Z is a good motorcycle but only after it's had some money spent on it.

It come with rubbish suspension and a strangled engine. A few Air box mods and a Power -Commander or Kev mods (well known Aussie tuner) release additional gee-gees though it is never going to be a fast bike.

Wilbers rear damper and ohlins front springs make it a decent ride.

Large standard tank is 23 lt, I think, and 300 miles to tank is often quoted.

I love it in a different way to the GS. The only snag is the spoked wheels in the event of punctures.

I would not take mine off-road but then I would not take anything else either.

I´ve been running around the last 7 years (Aus/NZ/S America) on my XT660R, a little different from the Z but I would say a pretty good all rounder. The engine which is bullet proof just needs the assistance of the Kev mod to put right. (This is also required on the Z as it´s the same engine). Lot´s of people plod around the world on this engine with no problems. If you are an off road riding God then maybe a thoroughbred off roader will suit your needs otherwise the XT will get you from A to B quite merrily on any gravel/fire or bit of dirt.

Back
Top Bottom