Possible newbie seeking advice

bart2181

Reaction score
Hiya guys I've lurked around this site for a few now on and off and I'm looking at returning to bmw ownership.question is I've been offered a 12 plate ad for decent money.but it has no abs esa etc.is it worth me adding a little bit more for a bike with these extras.any help much appreciated.cheers

None the worse for no ABS and especially no ESA, my 2011 gsa was ordered from new without either and I spent some money on aftermarket shocks .

Lot less hassle in the long term .

Most Basics of that age will have been bought with packages that included led indicators, heated gips, spots and pannier rails etc .

Go off overall condition and service rather than worrying over ABS/ESA especially if it is going to be a keeper

Cheers neil.the bike has 5 owners which seems a bit steep to me but full service history etc and is mint.so I'm tempted

Hi Bart

One of the many good things about these bikes are that there are quite a few of them around. So waiting for the ideal one isn't too much of a burden. Only you can know if your want ABS and ESA or not. The best price test is to search through ebay "Completed listings" and see what similar bikes actually went for.

Good luck whatever you decide ...

I would suggest that the 2012 ABS is worth having, it seems to be pretty reliable and it might just save your ass one day. The 2012 twin cams seem to be a sorted engine, better than getting a first years model of the LC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest that the 2012 ABS is worth having, it seems to be pretty reliable and it might just save your ass one day. The 2012 twin cams seem to be a sorted engine, better than getting a first years model of the LC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the ABS and I like the ESA on my 2008, always changing the setting as conditions change......well between COMFORT and NORMAL, I tend not to use SPORT.

Thanks for all replies guys.I also have my eye on a 08 fully loaded gsa.having owned X2 1100gs.s and a 1150 I look forward to swinging my leg over a 12��

Thanks for all replies guys.I also have my eye on a 08 fully loaded gsa.having owned X2 1100gs.s and a 1150 I look forward to swinging my leg over a 12��

TC models do not have the fuel strip problems and the gearbox is improved

TC models do not have the fuel strip problems and the gearbox is improved

Second that. I love my 2009 GS but would have got a twin cam if I could have. Already had to change the fuel strip so the extra cash up front works out as a saving in the end!

Having had 1200 GSAs for the last 10 years I have never had a problem with the ABSa d would look for a bike with it. My current TC is a peach but as far as ESA goes, I could live without it. Quality after market shocks are much better and easy to adjust if you are riding with luggage or a pillion. Not quite the touch of a button for ESA but frankly, given the choice I would go after market non ESA every time.

I removed the ESA shocks with a plan to having them rebuilt. The GS shocks put in their place are a big drop in all respects. The ride is harder and harsher and the damping is either too floaty or too harsh. There’s no sweet spot.
I would go for ESA but budget for Wilbers shocks. Not cheap (very) but Wilbers non ESA shocks are not much less money. They only replace the actual suspension. The ESA system remains from the bike
I’ve run the bike without ABS when the speedo sensor failed for the second time & really missed it. The linked braking really helps to stabilise the bike and it will stand on its nose with full force braking. Try that without ABS and while locking the rear is fun, I don’t plan on trying to lock the front.

Hiya guys I've lurked around this site for a few now on and off and I'm looking at returning to bmw ownership.question is I've been offered a 12 plate ad for decent money.but it has no abs esa etc.is it worth me adding a little bit more for a bike with these extras.any help much appreciated.cheers

You should try the r1200 gs simulator first.....Its an armchair, that's fixed to a pogo stick, that's bouncing on a biscuit tin full of marbles, all within a vat of custard. :D:D

You should try the r1200 gs simulator first.....Its an armchair, that's fixed to a pogo stick, that's bouncing on a biscuit tin full of marbles, all within a vat of custard. :D:D

You forgot the concrete seat and Kango hammer handlebars.

Back
Top Bottom