Fuel filters unlucky or just crap design?

New filter set up fitted today...
tank neck filter....hope it doesnt' slow filling up too much
fuel pump "tea bag" filter replaced with Guglatech version see foto off adv rider
tiny little fuel pump filter replaced with externally mounted fuel filter, effectively undo 2 clamps and replace in a bout 1 minute if needed...

looks fairly neat and unobtrusive

time will tell if this works better than the KTM piss poor design

Attachments

• My new guglatech godzilla set up1.jpg
    My new guglatech godzilla set up1.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 231
  • KTM Filter Install 038 filter install 2.jpg
    KTM Filter Install 038 filter install 2.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 212
I am surprised nobody has just come up with a filter and O-Ring kit for £40 as a direct replacement for the rip-off KTM parts.

At 15k I am probably pushing my luck if I don't do the filters, which I am guessing with labour is going to clock on for £150, plus the tappet service @ £600, this bike is starting to get expensive to keep, at times like this I miss my Yamaha!

I am surprised nobody has just come up with a filter and O-Ring kit for £40 as a direct replacement for the rip-off KTM parts.

At 15k I am probably pushing my luck if I don't do the filters, which I am guessing with labour is going to clock on for £150, plus the tappet service @ £600, this bike is starting to get expensive to keep, at times like this I miss my Yamaha!

yes the valve check service is expensive, I had this kit fitted at the same time as its annual service including valve clearances, so quite pleased it all came in under £500!!!
spark plugs and oil seem ridiculously expensive, but the tech who does the work is worth every penny for his labour!
the filters lasted around 18k before they blocked, (1st time) and then the new lot blocked again at about 23k...the aftermarket kit starts to make sense in that context. The biggest problem for me is that despite this I really like the bike!!

I changed mine last week.

If I ever do it again, I will not buy the KTM filter kit for £49, but a Guglatech or other knock off. The O ring kit I mentioned in earlier post is £29+VAT, but you only need one of them. Thanks KTM :blast

As to the job itself...it's a bit fiddly, but not too demanding. Worst bit is trying to get the new tea bag filter onto the pump. It's really tight. I've read the aftermarket ones aren't, and are much easier to fit.

The problem with the Guglatech is you have to fit a strainer in the neck which then restricts filling the bike up, and it looks like it replaces the in pump filter with an external one - although a good idea for anyone who rides where the fuel might be crappy I do not want to make those changes, I just want a direct replacement for the KTM kit at a fair price...

….and seeing as they fuck up so often if KTM were not so short sighted they would lower the cost and add it to the 18k service, at £30 they would still be in profit, punters could probably except that, the dealers get another 30 minutes labour on the service and the horror stories of people being stranded in deserts / having their holiday ruined would drop right off - and the remaining ones could mostly be put down to the owner not servicing the bike properly rather than a KTM design flaw.

The problem with the Guglatech is you have to fit a strainer in the neck which then restricts filling the bike up, and it looks like it replaces the in pump filter with an external one - although a good idea for anyone who rides where the fuel might be crappy I do not want to make those changes, I just want a direct replacement for the KTM kit at a fair price...

….and seeing as they fuck up so often if KTM were not so short sighted they would lower the cost and add it to the 18k service, at £30 they would still be in profit, punters could probably except that, the dealers get another 30 minutes labour on the service and the horror stories of people being stranded in deserts / having their holiday ruined would drop right off - and the remaining ones could mostly be put down to the owner not servicing the bike properly rather than a KTM design flaw.

Re filling up, apparently the latest design of neck filter flows much better, many of the comments on advrider seem to be by people who had fitted the neck filter in the wrong orientation, there always was a bit of a knack to filling the 1290 anyway, I will report back when I fill up on how it went!
re external filter, I take your point but feel its worth it even for "local" trips! fully agree with your second para.

I changed mine last week.

If I ever do it again, I will not buy the KTM filter kit for £49, but a Guglatech or other knock off. The O ring kit I mentioned in earlier post is £29+VAT, but you only need one of them. Thanks KTM :blast

As to the job itself...it's a bit fiddly, but not too demanding. Worst bit is trying to get the new tea bag filter onto the pump. It's really tight. I've read the aftermarket ones aren't, and are much easier to fit.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/fuel-filters-for-ktm-990-injection.874262/

well, first fill with the new tank neck filter was not as good as I had hoped, however, back home I spent a bit of time prodding the filter into what I hope is a better layout and will see how next fill goes.
Filters made absolutley no difference to how the engine performed, which is fine, the point is the engine did not go into "limp" all good!

tank fill is slower, filler had to be pointed in a certain way anyway before to avoid blow back or stopping, now its just slower.
However, advrider has a new twist on it, where a petrol proof cable tie is used to ensure the neck filler is fully opened out inside tank, which is supposed to help speed of fill....time will tell!

I don't believe the Guglatech filler screen is needed in most of Europe. I'd just leave that bit out.

The larger "tea bag" and external in line filter would make for easier servicing though.

tank fill is slower, filler had to be pointed in a certain way anyway before to avoid blow back or stopping, now its just slower.
However, advrider has a new twist on it, where a petrol proof cable tie is used to ensure the neck filler is fully opened out inside tank, which is supposed to help speed of fill....time will tell!
Hi John
That’s the mod I tried to point you to on the Guglatech website -originally suggested by Green Boy (or something like that!).
Just in the middle of fitting mine @ the mo - waiting for the SAS removal kit from Powercell to arrive.
Pump reinstalled, pipe work removed -maybe fit external filter today?

I sometimes hate the internet ~ I've been blissfully unaware of any potential fuel filter issues thus far.

Another thing to add to my next service :rolleyes:

Andres

I don't believe the Guglatech filler screen is needed in most of Europe. I'd just leave that bit out.

The larger "tea bag" and external in line filter would make for easier servicing though.

Yes, it does seem over the top, however, having being stranded once on a trip to Pyrenees, for peace of mind I installed the full monty. The difference in fueling convienience is minor anyway

Got the GEFR set to go in my 1190 on the next service, about 17k on it so now is probably a good time as a precaution.

Yes, it does seem over the top, however, having being stranded once on a trip to Pyrenees, for peace of mind I installed the full monty. The difference in fueling convienience is minor anyway

Worth fitting then.

interesting my mate has a big ktm and he is doing his filters soon before our big trip, told him i just changed mine on a 2002 1150gs and the date stamp was 2002 17 years old and 51,000 miles still working fine and still passing clean fuel, (by the way an official bmw dealer charged a previous owner to change it, they didnt or they used a filter from 2002)

I don't think changing the filter is on the KTM service sheet. There is a fuel pressure test though. I guess if that is low, they change the filter?

Back
Top Bottom