Moorespeed Airbox upgrade feedback

Wrigsby1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone any feedback as to how one of the above airbox tops + K&N's acted in the real world... I'm now having a quiet obsession with my back to the road R100R/RT and tinkering is what its all about...:D It's a road bike and going pretty well but a bit more on an Airhead is always welcomed... Had a good little run around Scotland for a couple of days last week which was fun apart from the bumpy bits showing the rear shock was a bit past it...:D

Also how useable is the set up in rain etc with the exposed K&N...?

Charz

As per Dr Farkoff,

And - Fekking noisy. Fitted one, took it off a few days later. If you are heavy handed at lower speeds and open the throttle widish/wide, it sounds like there is some kind of drift competition going on and peeps start looking round in alarm......And also it messes a bit with the fuelling and (at least on my G/S) made it somewhat lean with a bit of a more pronounced flat spot at 3-4k ish, right where you dont want it for real world riding. YMMV or course...

The existing airbox with its different sized snorkels actually does a decent enough job, and would you really notice the extra 2 bhp Richard claims? (I dont doubt his claims BTW, just saying) presumably its at higher revs, where a standard road going airhead is not at its most "mechanically comfortable"......If you are racing your bike and in conjunction with other suitable mods, go for it, otherwise........

BTW if you must have an airbox/filter mod, you can just get a K&N that fits in the standard box, and IIRC K&N make similar claims about extra power, with the bonus that you never have to buy another airfilter again. I have one and its fine, cant say the extra claimed power was noticeable (no surprise there) but I dont have to throw filters away anymore, just occasionally clean and relube and its stock OEM looking.

Thanks for the replies guys... I suppose with an inch of thought on my part I could have guessed the noise with its alloy top etc... I never believe the hype but it's good to know what works in the real world and what doesn't... Cheers
:thumb

Jim Cray cuts 4 1 inch holes in the top of the standard air box and trims 50% off the horns, fitting a K&N at the same time, there is a bit of extra intake noise, was always going to do a back to back with the standard top but never got round to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The results are on my site under technical. i used a box stock R100R with about 7000 miles on the clock, did a base run all stock, result is the green line. then i took the pistons out and fitted a set of my long skirts result is the pink line. then i took off the air filter and plastic top and fitted one of my tops with a K and N and the result is the blue line, if you look at 4500 rpm it is almost 4 bhp up. but what do i know.

I’ve had one fitted for c10 years now...it does make a difference, I never noticed any extra noise and maintenance is very simple. As for rain never been a problem and mines seen a lot worse than water from the heavens

Attachments

• 53128A05-C56C-4A9A-A364-006A9C253735.jpeg
    53128A05-C56C-4A9A-A364-006A9C253735.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 326
The results are on my site under technical. i used a box stock R100R with about 7000 miles on the clock, did a base run all stock, result is the green line. then i took the pistons out and fitted a set of my long skirts result is the pink line. then i took off the air filter and plastic top and fitted one of my tops with a K and N and the result is the blue line, if you look at 4500 rpm it is almost 4 bhp up. but what do i know.

Again... Thanks fer info... You should know...:thumb I'll be changing a thing or two at some point and I'm ending up back at airheads for my fun modding bikes...

I think Mr Farmer fitted some sort of gauge to one of his bikes and found out that the stock flat paper filter set up just didn't flow enough for a warm 1000 cc bike.
Initially he reverted to the earlier clam shell / round filter set up with R90S holes in the back which was a bit better, then he refitted a modified flat filter which seemed to work well enough for his purposes.
He hasn't been around much lastly, maybe someone could wake him up and get him to tell us his soloution.
FWIW Moteren Israel do a high flow filter too, and it is unlikely that the top two airhead tuners have both got wrong!
Having said that few airheads perform to their potential, so if you have a poorly tuned bike or a mismatched set of components and the bike just splutters along and no more then as Dr Farkoff and Solidstate have confirmed adding a decent filter wont change much - but when you have the right bits set up correctly the flow through the stock set up is just not up to the job and you will notice a difference!

Back
Top Bottom