Setting Bing float levels ?

batman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve got my R80 Bings nice and clean but I want to check/possibly reset the float levels if required.
Is there an article on here anyway that might give me some info?
Do they sit parallel with the body gasket face when correct or is there a fuel measurement from the top edge of the float bowl etc.
I have done a quick search but have not found quite what I’m looking for.

Cheers guys.

PS. Also had a quick look for a tube clip but couldn’t find what I wanted.

I would hold the carb with the float pivot pin at the top and the float hanging downwards with the float bowl abutment face vertical. If I recall the float should be parallel to the float bowl abutment face.

As Smug says above, but with the carb tilted slightly until the float just touches the float valve.....at which point the float should be parallel with the carb as described......don't be tempted to do it with the carb upside down or the weight of the float will cause errors.

Mick.

Cheers guys got that.
:thumb

I’m beginning to see how these old airheads get under your skin, I took the throttle twist grip lid off last night to fit some fresh cables, wow what nice engineering compared to the equivalent British bikes of that day. A lovely little gear driven chain designed to give a straight pull on the two cables.
I’ve only ridden GSLCs which is what you do, put fuel in and ride them, it’s nice to get my hands dirty and appreciate some of the build of the older airhead.

I don’t like the side stand though, is there a better one that can go over-centre and lock out, I know it creates a risk when driving off and forgetting about retracting it but the standard kit is an awkward thing.

There are aftermarket stands you can get like the Migsel ones.

I quite like the way it flips up and you need to develop a knack to put it down with confidence.

I don’t like the side stand though, is there a better one that can go over-centre and lock out, I know it creates a risk when driving off and forgetting about retracting it but the standard kit is an awkward thing.

Migstand is what you want. That said, the way to deal with the OEM sidestand is to get off the bike and then put it down, rather than trying to dislocate your left leg to get at it seated on the bike. Simples.

And having said that.......I fitted a Migstand. Great bit of kit. You can configure it to automatically flip up like OEM, or stay down.

Thanks Solid, my leg is no where near long enough to get it down while seated as suggested by tufty.

I definitely have to dismount at the moment as you say.

I'll check out the migsel device.

Solidstates suggestion of getting off first then putting the side stand down brings back a memory ... I had camping gear strapped across the back years ago, called in for petrol and couldn’t even get off :D:D:D some young lad had to put the stand down for me!
Migsel stand is the only known cure:thumb2

Solidstates suggestion of getting off first then putting the side stand down brings back a memory ... I had camping gear strapped across the back years ago, called in for petrol and couldn’t even get off :D:D:D some young lad had to put the stand down for me!
Migsel stand is the only known cure:thumb2

This.

Or you can actually weld a convoluted bit of steel bar to the stock stand so you can reach it from the saddle. Very difficult to get the shape right and looks shit though.

It seems like a surefoot is the way to go, the migsel is nice but pricey.

Anyone have either one of the above lurking in the corner of the bike shed/garage?

Thank you

BMW Club South-West Section published some v good pamphlets on airheads, including Bings, years ago. Written by Mike Fishwick, who was really clued up on airheads. The one I have on Bings is dated 1998. Don't know if these are still available but they contain lots useful info

I could be wrong but.........the surefoot is as difficult to operate from the saddle as the OEM one - its attached at the same location, and IIRC the only real difference is that it does not autoflip back up.

The Migstand is completely relocated towards the rear of the bike and easy to reach.

BMW Club South-West Section published some v good pamphlets on airheads, including Bings, years ago. Written by Mike Fishwick, who was really clued up on airheads. The one I have on Bings is dated 1998. Don't know if these are still available but they contain lots useful info
Hi Digger,
Many thanks for your helpful reply, she's back together now running very sweetly however I can hear an intermittent clank from somewhere in the transmission, it’s a sound like you would hear if the centre stand had a weak spring and was clanking on the underside of the bike. However the sound is coming from the transmission somewhere.....probably not from the gear box, it sounds more drive shaft or final drive...it's a clank without a rhythm ...kind of irregular, if this explains it, and metalic!

Any ideas anyone?

Hi Digger,
Many thanks for your helpful reply, she's back together now running very sweetly however I can hear an intermittent clank from somewhere in the transmission, it’s a sound like you would hear if the centre stand had a weak spring and was clanking on the underside of the bike. However the sound is coming from the transmission somewhere.....probably not from the gear box, it sounds more drive shaft or final drive...it's a clank without a rhythm ...kind of irregular, if this explains it, and metalic!

Any ideas anyone?

More details needed - bike being ridden?, in gear/out of gear?, when clutch operated? in gear on centre stand (not recommended)? on overrun? under load? (etc etc etc

More details needed - bike being ridden?, in gear/out of gear?, when clutch operated? in gear on centre stand (not recommended)? on overrun? under load? (etc etc etc

Okay got that...

It's when the bike is being ridden on tarmac smooth road surface. in gear under normal light drive load, clutch is out, any gear seems to be the same, it is a 'random' clank...not rythmic or regular.

I'll get it out later today and drive it with a more accute listening ear and come back with something more precise this evening.

Cheers

Hi Digger,

Any ideas anyone?

Weak spring in/or busted transmission cush drive maybe? There's two. One in the box and one in the shaft.

I could be wrong but.........the surefoot is as difficult to operate from the saddle as the OEM one - its attached at the same location, and IIRC the only real difference is that it does not autoflip back up.

The Migstand is completely relocated towards the rear of the bike and easy to reach.

Surefoot mounts in the same place as a Migsel

Thanks lads....huge difference in price though

Surefoot around £89.00

Miguel around £250.00 ?

Back
Top Bottom