"New" R100gs Bumblebee

barny

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

I have been lurking and learning about airheads for sometime and I have finally for better or otherwise taken a leap into the airhead fold with a cosmetically challenged 1994 R100gs with 47K on the clock. Initially needs a good clean, new exhaust headers (more of that to follow), new tyres current ones 10 year old front and 9 year old rear, good service and an MOT.

A problem that I have with the exhaust headers is, I managed to get the head fined nut off the left side by the usual oil/vinegar mix and a good knock and off it came, right hand side same treatment more time , heat and could just detect it moving with a good knock so decided to cut the nut off. So cut through and few more knocks and off it came but it looks like someone has removed the nut previously to repair the link pipe and damaged the threads and to solve the problem of refitting nut by hammering on until some of the threads picked up and knocked the nut around until the fins bent. So I now have a good RH head apart from the exhaust stub threads. My options seem to be as follows.

1 - Replacement head from the Yorkshire base supplier.
2 - Mikey has suggested Motoren-Israel GmbH for repair but its getting near German annual holiday and I would like to ride the GS this summer
3 - See if anyone on here has a decent RH head they want to sell.
4 - Any other Suggestions.

I've order new header from Boxxer spares st/st with balance pipe (should please Mr Farmer)

So any thoughts would be gratefully considered.

Regards
Barny (Ian)

Attachments

• DSC_0382.1.jpg
    DSC_0382.1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 377
  • DSC_0383.1.jpg
    DSC_0383.1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 356
I would imagine that option 2 has a cost somewhat equivalent or greater than option 1, so on that basis i would go with option 1 or 3.

OR option 4 might be find a more local decent tig welder/metal fabricator and have them repair the stub

Seen a few clamp on things, look naff but might do till winter and you have a bit more time for a proper repair.

Back
Top Bottom