1100gs petroll tank lining

donkeydoo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Here goes again, this bike now known as the moneypit, but I love it.

Think I have sorted the spongy front brakes, looks like weeping bleed nipples may have been causing this.

When I replaced the fuel filter a few weeks ago I found that the tank lining had gone, large sheets of it floating around at the bottom, resulted in a load of bad language, calmed down removed most of it and put it back on.

I couldn't see any rust, I think the previous owner had left it with very little fuel in over past winters.

My question is I have read that I should redo the tank lining so have planned to do this in the winter, want to ride it a little more first, but does it really need to be done if I keep it full and use it on a regular basis?

I am sure that in the 80s my old bikes never had linings and we just used to swish a little oil in the tank if leaving over the winter.

Cheers so much again

Mark

Mark

I had my 1100's tank redone by Jeep at ATG Racing as the original stuff was peeling off - Jeep used to be the importer. Didn't take long and cost a couple of hundred iirc. Decided to get it professionally as the tank is so big and unwieldy.

My 1150GS tank had a few floaters from repair work on the tank in the past.
I thought about POR15 but a bad experience a few years back on my Triumph Mk1 2.5PI Estate put me off.
Instead I removed the large bits of inner tank paint and sanded/scoured the inside of the tank abck to solid paint/metal where the paint was loose.
To get into the sides of the tank I cable tied an 80 grit scourer onto a piece of plastic conduit I bent into the right shape and worked it on the sides of the tank
Keep it full when not riding and you shouldnt have any problems.,
There is a product called Redkote that looks interesting but I have no idea about it.

Adrian

cheers guys,

May leave it keep riding her and topped up and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom