Garmin Zumo Power connection?

T12

Reaction score
In the process of removing the Garmin wiring for the Zumo 550 the powered mount went in to this plug near the headlight.

826ec223f4d2eb068a9a21a3a93e2e7f.jpg

2a0713d3d0572c31e4d94adcd29818f4.jpg

Could someone confirm what it is? The replacement I have has the usual fused power connectors for the battery.

I’ve got to remove the rest of the Autocom and Autocom Bluetooth wiring that descends in to a snakes wedding beneath the fuel tank, but a simple power solution using that plug would be very useful and get the new powered mount up and running (different Zumo so different power plug, thanks Garmin!)

Is it a Canbus plug if so is it better to put the Satnav power through this and what’s the best way to get the 2 wires that would go to the battery in to the plug. The current plug has very narrow wires?

It’s a 2009 GS.

Thanks in advance.

Went for it as a canbus plug and cut it of the old Zumo plug and have fitted to the new Zumo. The Zumo powers up nicely when the bike's ignition is switched on but doesn't then switch off when the ignition switches off...ie. the plug seems to stay live?

When you remove the Zumo from the mount you get the warning about losing power and will switch off. Does anyone have any bright ideas?

The zumo uses a 3 wire canbus lead,

But you only need to use 2 of the wires -Ve & +Ve the 3rd wire is a speed pulse about 10v i recall,

The connector is by the headstock , it stays live for about 30 seconds after you turn off.

You know its working because the zumo asks if you want to revert to battery power

i'd check your using the correct +V wire first

waht model zumo are you trying to fit?

Thanks Santa, I only had 2 wires so no issues there. It powers up fine but doesn’t power off when the ignition is turned off. That only happens when removed from the dock, which infers the Canbus plug is still providing power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Santa, I only had 2 wires so no issues there. It powers up fine but doesn’t power off when the ignition is turned off. That only happens when removed from the dock, which infers the Canbus plug is still providing power?

How long did you leave it? my 550 takes 30 seconds to go to sleep

Leave it for a couple of minutes and it should power down when the canbus switches it off?

Santa, Gazza,

Thanks to both - 1hr20 min ride in to work this morning and it now seems to be sorted. I had been leaving it for up to 2 mins yesterday after fitting but no joy. Now all works and it powers down after c.40secs.

Regards,

Tom.

So interestingly it’s now having issues. The GPS is losing power randomly. It then powers down before switching straight back on. In the process I get the warning that it has to be in the bike mount for the fuel countdown to work. i.e. multiple warnings, a pain!

Before I go about stripping and checking all connections, has anyone else had the same issue when using a 396 in to the Canbus? A quick google once in work seemed to suggest that it could be to do with being designed to be wired direct to the battery as opposed to what I’ve done (Canbus plug?)

Cheers.

I do not know how much similarity there is, but I have a Zumo 345 wired into the Canbus and I find that provided both sat nav and bike are off when the sat nav is mounted in the cradle everything works as expected.
Anything else and it can be a bit hit and miss (I assume due to the Canbus trying to do clever stuff).

The problem of the 550 powering down or not switching off properly is caused by connection faults in the mounting bracket. You can prove this with an ordinary USB adaptor and power lead.

Thanks to both for replies. Still having the issue despite different star up efforts. I think it might be the pins so I'm removing there mount and trying again. Garminwere relatively helpful and are sending another power cable to try and fault find.

Power cable replaced and now all seems good although I’m yet to get out on a test ride.

Back
Top Bottom