1150 to 1200

I never had an 1150 but the 1200 has not been exactly trouble-free. It's only left me stranded twice but there are so many issues I'd not recommend one.

None! ... had the 1150 GSA for 13yrs and loved it but found it was getting too heavy for me (especially when fully-loaded) ...acquired a 2011 TC which I knew well 2yrs ago so had both 1150 and 12 over that period and barely touched the 1150 in that time.

Toured The Alps last year and The Pyrenees this year on the 12 and found it nippier, lighter and an all-round great bike ... did as much, if not more, than the 1150.

Having said that, the 1150 did its time for me and never let me down ... now getting some TLC from Johnny :thumb2

There’s a bike for everyone :D

That's worrying

That's because it's bollox.

The 1200 is a great bike, lighter, faster and despite what you hear and read is reliable as long as you know what you are looking for. There are some well know issues that's for sure but no more than anything else in my opinion.

The twin cam is the best version of the 1200 and you can get those for sensible money.

The 1150 is a still a good bike but in comparison it feels a bit lardy.

Pick the right one and ride with confidence.

Made the switch about a month ago and been very happy so far and not missing the 1150 at all

Honestly hand on heart would not go back to my 1150, had my 1200 gsa a couple of years and touch wood never let me down yet, lovely to drive and so comfy did the vercors in 2 days from scotland last year amonst other trips, no hardship at all :beerjug:

I made the switch last Oct (to a 2011 TC). So far I'm really happy with the change. I loved the 1150, and mine was well sorted. But as per the comments above, the 1200 feels significantly lighter and the motor is a different animal from a performance perspective.

Pros for the 1150 is that they are much more friendly for diy maintenance. The Adventure is a great looking bike.

Cons. They're heavy compared to the 1200 and feel a bit long in the tooth compared to the 1200.

I'm not a speed merchant, but the 1200 has less to haul around and it has a stronger motor, so the consequences are kind of obvious. That translates into more relaxed ride.

My penneth. But ask me again when I get back from Italy in Sept :). That will be my bonding session with this particular bike.

For either bike, they both have issues. Whichever you go for, just make yourself aware of them. That way you can get up to speed on the symptoms and fixes. And they're are fixed for most things.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yeh! I do....

Fortunately, I have kept my 1150, so I get to ride it often which always makes me smile compared to the R1200 Adventure.

The 1200 architecture is similar to the 1150 only more modern, which brings with it DIY maintenance difficulties. I bought my 1200 twin cam (2012) in February at 16000 miles. I'm at 18500 and having to replace the Camshaft Oil seal. :(

The bikes in two pieces at the moment waiting for the parts.

If I had to part with one, At the moment it would be the 1200.

Ian

I had a 1200 first, then moved to an 1150.

1200 modern etc. 1150 seems to have a bit more character. Much prefer the 1150. Hope this helps.

I had a 1200 first, then moved to an 1150.

1200 modern etc. 1150 seems to have a bit more character. Much prefer the 1150. Hope this helps.
Yes all these comments and feedback helps.��I've owned 2 1100s.put 60k miles on one of them.I love the look of the 1200 but I'm steering towards a 1150 purely for the simplicity of them.having changed a gearbox,clutch and final drive bearing on my 1100 I feel like I'd know my way around the 1150 motor.

Like most vehicles there are good ones and bad ones which tends to influence the point of view. I have both an 2001, 1150 & 2012, 1200 and luckly both are great bikes. The 1150 had covered 109,500 miles and apart from routine servicing, which is easy to do at home, all I've done is replace the main bearing & small taper bearing in the final drive. ( did also have an electric short in Garmisch in 2008 which resulted in needing a new loom but don't look at this as a common issue). I still love to ride it, it's more planted on the road than the 1200 but not at comfortable. Only time I've felt the engine lacking is when on very fast open roads in the company of 1000 sports bikes.

The 1200 is an ADV, so big and comfortable to ride, feels softer than the 1150 but still planted on the road. So far covered 29,000 miles without issue apart from its appetite for batteries, suspect it's the Motobatt batteries rather than the bike as I've put the original back in and it's fine, just always felt a bit weak turning the engine over.

Neither bike have suffered from corrosion dispite being ridden in all weathers. So good bikes of either type are out there you just need to decide which one is for you.

I really like how the 1200 Adventure rides and handles. Especially with the fuelling sorted.
It is however fragile but it’s only ever let me down on the road with fuel pump controller issues.

The 2008-2009 bikes seem to be the worst for corrosion. Get one at a good price and have the frame zinc metal sprayed and painted.

I sold my 1150 last year after 8 years and 30k ,after doing every european country and Morocco,and replaced it with a 12TC , today myself and the 12TC bonded.It took a few months but we are now a couple.I miss the 1150 , but the 12 is lighter, more agile,nippier,but slower top end,but im working on that,its a bit of a pita with servicing,im working on that too,but the 12 doesnt give me a neck ache, the ergos are better,and im looking forward to a hilltop tune up.My next project is a faster final drive. Would i go back, no.Ive been there done that, time to move on.
Ive a soft spot for the 1150,but im done.I think if youve never had one ,you need to go there and buy one, its a cracking bike.Buy the std bike, in my opinion its better than the GSA.. ive had both, so feel qualified to offer an opinion.Ive bought a 2012 12TC GSA only because it was super low mileage 7k, but would have been happy with the std TC GS.TBH all this suspension esa nonsense is nonsense.The 1150 wilbered up was better and more planted.When i get a bit more flush ill do a wilberectomy and junk the std 12TC shocks.move along im done here.

I really like how the 1200 Adventure rides and handles. Especially with the fuelling sorted.
It is however fragile but it’s only ever let me down on the road with fuel pump controller issues.

The 2008-2009 bikes seem to be the worst for corrosion. Get one at a good price and have the frame zinc metal sprayed and painted.
Fragile.....In what way?

Back
Top Bottom