Tank Contents Gauge stuck at full.

Appy

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. Fuel Gauge on 2017 1200 GS stuck at full. No problem use the trip meter. Over the last year low level fuel light ( when gauge is working) illuminates at around 160 - 170 miles. Relying on trip which was accurate Bike faltered and stopped due to fuel starvation at 170 miles!! Well below normal tank range. I have not thrashed the engine and filled to full at last refuel. Just wondering if computer does not register low level tank if gauge stuck at full. Really p**sed off as I pride myself on fuel awareness. Shocked that bike needed petrol after 174 miles indicated. After 2 hour faff topped bike up from can and engine ran perfectly so it was definitely lack of petrol. Just back from 2300 mile trip to the Dolomites with gauge stuck at full but always filled up with less than 150 miles on trip. Hence thoughts about computer glitch.

So it turns out "Float Level Head" had broken off. Tank removed and replacement fitted. Do not know if refuelling nozzle can catch said "Head". Still does not explain engine cutting out due to lack of fuel at 173 miles. Unless the Head thingy blocked the feed. Clutching at straws here. Will wait to see mileage low level light illuminated now that gauge is working again.

So it turns out "Float Level Head" had broken off. Tank removed and replacement fitted. Do not know if refuelling nozzle can catch said "Head". Still does not explain engine cutting out due to lack of fuel at 173 miles. Unless the Head thingy blocked the feed. Clutching at straws here. Will wait to see mileage low level light illuminated now that gauge is working again.
Should read Tank removed and repacement float level bar/head replacement fitted.

Brim tank then pump contents out into a container to see if reserve light comes on correctly?

Warranty is useful then.
Absolutely. Admit to being disappointed that this has happened after only a year and 6500 miles. Just hope this is not a common fault. BMW labour charges per hour not cheap. Perhaps extended warranty way to go. Surprises me that this has occurred on a very expensive motorcycle designed for off road long distance travelling in inhospitable areas.

Just a point of interest. Since the new “float” was installed to fix fuel strip problem, low level light now comes on with 6.5 litres in the tank. Thought the first time it was just settling in but it has happened 3 times now.

Just a point of interest. Since the new “float” was installed to fix fuel strip problem, low level light now comes on with 6.5 litres in the tank. Thought the first time it was just settling in but it has happened 3 times now.

Sounds about right, my light comes on with about 50 miles range to empty.
The 170 miles to running out depends what roads you are on, I can get mine down to 110 miles to a full tank if I try..

Happened to me twenty years ago on R1100GS, which I bought in Berlin. Was much cheaper there then. Left Berlin heading for Spain. After many kms thought this fuel injection is marvellously economical. Had only had airheads with carbs up till then. Pulled into filling station obviously just in time as it took lot of fuel. After getting home took tank off and opened up. Not a nice experience. Float and arm intact just needed bending a little so it didn't foul

Sounds about right, my light comes on with about 50 miles range to empty.
The 170 miles to running out depends what roads you are on, I can get mine down to 110 miles to a full tank if I try..

I understand that. But my take on the manual is that the light comes on when you get to the reserve tank i.e. 4 litres. That would equate to 50 miles with my style of riding. Not a problem just got to recalibrate the “worry” factor when a long way between petrol stops on the West Coast of Scotland. Particularly on Sundays!! Surely the distance to empty after the light illuminates is dictated by the previous use of the throttle on that tank of petrol.

Happened to me twenty years ago on R1100GS, which I bought in Berlin. Was much cheaper there then. Left Berlin heading for Spain. After many kms thought this fuel injection is marvellously economical. Had only had airheads with carbs up till then. Pulled into filling station obviously just in time as it took lot of fuel. After getting home took tank off and opened up. Not a nice experience. Float and arm intact just needed bending a little so it didn't foul

Thanks Digger I think that is probably the problem with my float valve.

I understand that. But my take on the manual is that the light comes on when you get to the reserve tank i.e. 4 litres. That would equate to 50 miles with my style of riding. Not a problem just got to recalibrate the “worry” factor when a long way between petrol stops on the West Coast of Scotland. Particularly on Sundays!! Surely the distance to empty after the light illuminates is dictated by the previous use of the throttle on that tank of petrol.

Yes I totally agree, depends on your previous riding style..
Always carry a few litres, worry free

Attachments

• 75032D1B-6E92-41CE-AF8F-F4258AEFBB33.jpg
    75032D1B-6E92-41CE-AF8F-F4258AEFBB33.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 296
Twice whilst hooning around the Highlands recently I ran the fuel range left all the way down to showing 20 miles left in the tank.

On both occasions upon filling up it only took 27 and 28 litres in a 2017 GSA tank so there was at least 5 or 6 litres still available in the tank. 5 or 6 litres to do 20 miles is pretty poor MPG :blast

Twice whilst hooning around the Highlands recently I ran the fuel range left all the way down to showing 20 miles left in the tank.

On both occasions upon filling up it only took 27 and 28 litres in a 2017 GSA tank so there was at least 5 or 6 litres still available in the tank. 5 or 6 litres to do 20 miles is pretty poor MPG :blast

I got caught out in Spain on a Sunday a couple of years ago, I did 30 miles past zero luckily I didn’t run out, but it was close. I’m sure these reserve indications are only approx but they’re a good guide.

Back
Top Bottom