My Route App

casbar

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just tried the My Route App, planned a route through Wales, transferred to my Nav V. All looks good, dead easy to export the route. If this is successful, Bye Bye Basecamp. Using a Mac.

Cannot seem to register on the site

Ditched basecamp for my route app ages ago on my mac, I find my route much better.

Can I ask anyone with a Garmin Zumo, If you use the free version of MRA and transfer to the Garmin is successful and the route works as planned, what settings is your Garmin set to?

I ask because a lot of the time, a planned route shows up as straight lines initially, but I "convert to trip" and it then shows the turns on the preview map. The problem comes when I start riding. It tries to send me to the end point by saving me "x" amount of miles.
The recalculate route option is set to "OFF"

Can I ask anyone with a Garmin Zumo, If you use the free version of MRA and transfer to the Garmin is successful and the route works as planned, what settings is your Garmin set to?

I ask because a lot of the time, a planned route shows up as straight lines initially, but I "convert to trip" and it then shows the turns on the preview map. The problem comes when I start riding. It tries to send me to the end point by saving me "x" amount of miles.
The recalculate route option is set to "OFF"

Try using GPX 1.0 not 1.1 that may help with the straight lines, failing that just recalculate the route as shortest then back tp fastest. It's a bit of a faff but I've got used to doing it now. ref your last point, if you select the destination waypoint instead of the starting waypoint it will indeed route you by the quickest route which may not be the one you planned. I now set my first waypoint a short distance from my actual starting point, Zumo will guide you to the first waypoint, you should then have no problems with sumo routing you a different way.

Try using GPX 1.0 not 1.1 that may help with the straight lines, failing that just recalculate the route as shortest then back tp fastest. It's a bit of a faff but I've got used to doing it now. ref your last point, if you select the destination waypoint instead of the starting waypoint it will indeed route you by the quickest route which may not be the one you planned. I now set my first waypoint a short distance from my actual starting point, Zumo will guide you to the first waypoint, you should then have no problems with sumo routing you a different way.

Cor blimey, that was quick.
Brilliant, I'll give that a go. I did wonder what the 1.0 and 1.1 differences were. I think I read that the newer Garmins used 1.1 files hence automatically using that one.
I even read what the difference between tracks, trips and routes was.
Still none the wiser!!! :)

Thanks

Just tried the My Route App, planned a route through Wales, transferred to my Nav V. All looks good, dead easy to export the route. If this is successful, Bye Bye Basecamp. Using a Mac.

I've just jumped ship to TomTom from Garmin and Basecamp was one of the big reasons why............

Anyway, having got used to the TomTom I've now started using MyRoute and my god, what a revelation. So simple to use, so simple to export to my 550 and the routes just work :thumb2

Andres

I too have started using MyRoute app. Initially I wasn’t sure I liked it, but I quick visit back to basecamp and I was convinced.

TBH I think MRA and it’s associated Navigation app still needs a fair bit of work, but it’s what I’ll be using from now on.

I too have started using MyRoute app. Initially I wasn’t sure I liked it, but I quick visit back to basecamp and I was convinced.

TBH I think MRA and it’s associated Navigation app still needs a fair bit of work, but it’s what I’ll be using from now on.

Once I got my head around which format to export with GPX 1.0 or 1.1 I'm happy with how to use both now, including shaping points.

Once I got my head around which format to export with GPX 1.0 or 1.1 I'm happy with how to use both now, including shaping points.

I have found that exporting to my 396 in GPX 1.0 format produces waypoints that need to be skipped if missed. GPX 1.1 only has waypoints at start and finish with shaping points in between.

I have found that exporting to my 396 in GPX 1.0 format produces waypoints that need to be skipped if missed. GPX 1.1 only has waypoints at start and finish with shaping points in between.

yes, but 1.1 gives straight lines unless you follow the guidance given in their help section on loading a specific way (that is what happens with a Nav V or VI) I've found the best way is use GPX 1.0, then on the Nav itself convert the waypoints to shaping points if you don't need them as waypoints

if you follow their instructions, it loads and works fine on the 396, but you lose any recalculation option. If you go off route, you'll need to manually bushwhack back to it.

had a quick peep, didn't get as far as registering, do you have to pay? how much is it?

had a quick peep, didn't get as far as registering, do you have to pay? how much is it?

Think the basic version is free and the full version is free for a month. I have paid for the route planning bit only, being able to export a route in different formats for my mates and being able to review routes next to each other in Garmin, Google and Tom Tom, so you can see if the route would vary on different devices is something I use. Plus the support is pretty good if you have the subscription.

if you follow their instructions, it loads and works fine on the 396, but you lose any recalculation option. If you go off route, you'll need to manually bushwhack back to it.

Yes, if you follow the instructions it will work on the Nav, but its not as simple as just exporting the GPX 1.0 into the Nav, you have to go through more steps with the GPX 1.1 to get shaping points. I like the idea of starting off with all waypoints, then just changing the ones I want to shaping points, which is dead easy in the Nav route planner.

I assume you still get the button on the main screen to skip to the next waypoint?

I assume you still get the button on the main screen to skip to the next waypoint?

IIRC doing it the way MRA suggest, you do in 1.0, but in 1.1 you don't even know they are there and there's no button. I'd have to check that, but i think that was what i found.

Yes, if you follow the instructions it will work on the Nav, but its not as simple as just exporting the GPX 1.0 into the Nav, you have to go through more steps with the GPX 1.1 to get shaping points. I like the idea of starting off with all waypoints, then just changing the ones I want to shaping points, which is dead easy in the Nav route planner.

I've done that too.

Back
Top Bottom