R80 Carb settings

lewisjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m looking for base data for 32mm Bings on my R80.at the moment I’m on 135 main jets,2.68 pilot jets, needle on middle clip, mixture screw 1 1/4 turns out,
The bike starts fine ,ticks over, but bogs down easily and the plugs are full of soot,am I missing something ?
I’m using standard airbox and filter, it has a 2-1 y piece and a GS high level silencer which has no baffle.

Drop the needle down a clip

#1 on that.
You might want to check the airflow through the two passages which run parallel to the intake - if you spray carb cleaner down them one should exir freely round the needle jet, the other from on of the pin pricks further down.
Not certain how your slide needles are held, but on my R75/7 the "star washer" which holds the wire circlip had lost its tension and the needle was moving around a bit.
Intermittently, which made it hard to find!

As mr Boff has said,
Have the carbs been properly stripped and cleaned?
The air bleed passages can get gummed up with residue from breather gases,remove the main jet and holder,the air bleed jet and the uppermost seat to clean properly.

Thanks for the advice guys, I ultrasonically cleaned the carbs again ,double checked the jet sizes etc,still no change.
As a long shot,I checked the ignition timing, eureka moment,adjusted the bean can position and there it was. Nice tick over, crisp throttle, no smoke, job done.

Back
Top Bottom