Basecamp Q&A for those that have figured it out.

G&T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Plotted a route and it almost immediately went to shit when on the bike. The reason I think was probably my fault for not taking enough care and attention when plotting, however it did throw up some questions.

Question 1: Here is a round trip through our lovely Cotswolds and by mistake left a couple of alert shaping points. No real problem.
F0FF3DAD-E57E-4DE5-B0DD-6ED6DD9ACCCC.jpg

However when I click Go on the Satnav it prompts me to click one of the alert shaping points. Should I click the first shaping point ‘Home’ which is the start of the route or the one the sat Nav prompts?
EE3CC21D-E64B-411D-872B-F4AB7CD68270.jpg

Question 2: I do have a memory card in the Nav 5. However it looks as though I have the latest map on the Nav and the card? Or maybe not. I can’t tell where it’s reading from and not inclined to delete anything.
35412342-ACAA-4614-ACD3-E3DC24FD4EA0.jpg

Question 3. The Satnav is set to copy over the original route which strips out shaping points and is setup to take the Garmin copy (1)which has the shaping points.. Which one is the best one to use on the go? I understand the Satnav will pick you up when back on route if you do ‘not’ recalculate so I wonder if this extra version just adds more stuff in the folder needlessly.

Thx for any responses
Glenn

Can't help, gave up with Basecamp. Try My Route App, it is dead easy and routes transfer directly to the Nav V. They work as well, which is a bonus and its a supported app so you can get loads of help. I did a route today for a trip around Wales, took about 15 mins to it being viewable on my Nav. Bye Bye Basecamp

Q1. I generally plan a waypoint called “First” or something similar, close to the start. In your example, the GPS will take you to Birch bank using the devices navigation preferences, not the route you planned.

Q2. The map on the device will be Europe NORTH and that on the SD card will be Europe SOUTH. Depending on your device, the latest map set is 2019.1

Q3. In Basecamp, make sure that you have in-checked the box in preferences for transfer that says “Strip shaping points on transfer“. If you ride a GS with a smart-wheel and can easily zoom in and out of the map then turn auto-recalculate off. Just zoom out and Nav back onto the route manually.

Q1. I generally plan a waypoint called “First” or something similar, close to the start. In your example, the GPS will take you to Birch bank using the devices navigation preferences, not the route you planned.

Q2. The map on the device will be Europe NORTH and that on the SD card will be Europe SOUTH. Depending on your device, the latest map set is 2019.1

Q3. In Basecamp, make sure that you have in-checked the box in preferences for transfer that says “Strip shaping points on transfer“. If you ride a GS with a smart-wheel and can easily zoom in and out of the map then turn auto-recalculate off. Just zoom out and Nav back onto the route manually.

Thanks Shakey, re Q1 I knew it!!!! I just couldn’t understand why after having spent an hour or so creating a route it took me on a different one as soon as I was at the end of the road. Therefore the Satnav ignores the route and takes one to the alert shaping point in my case the fastest way possible. What’s the bloody point of that :blast. Thanks for the tip.

Q2 aha. Thanks for the explanation.

Q3, I have mine set to strip out + another version of original. I wondered which one was best to use? The simplest probably :D

I tried Basecamp for my Garmin 346.
Soooooo awkward to plot a route.
Got the MyRouteApp but the Gold trial has ran out, and there lies the difficulty trying to get it to work once it's on the bike. It keeps trying to send me to the finish line straight away, even after setting the options as directed.
Now I'm using http://www.tyretotravel.com/
Looks just as awkward as Basecamp, but just double click on the points you want to follow, send it to the Garmin, and so far it's worked

I tried Basecamp for my Garmin 346.
Soooooo awkward to plot a route.
Got the MyRouteApp but the Gold trial has ran out, and there lies the difficulty trying to get it to work once it's on the bike. It keeps trying to send me to the finish line straight away, even after setting the options as directed.
Now I'm using http://www.tyretotravel.com/
Looks just as awkward as Basecamp, but just double click on the points you want to follow, send it to the Garmin, and so far it's worked

Thats odd, I have transferred routes from My Route App to my Nav V and they work as I would expect. I just pick the next waypoint as my next destination and away it goes.

Thanks Shakey, re Q1 I knew it!!!! I just couldn’t understand why after having spent an hour or so creating a route it took me on a different one as soon as I was at the end of the road. Therefore the Satnav ignores the route and takes one to the alert shaping point in my case the fastest way possible. What’s the bloody point of that :blast. Thanks for the tip.

In particular.....

Therefore the Satnav ignores the route and takes one to the alert shaping point in my case the fastest way possible. What’s the bloody point of that :blast.

The ability to be taken straight to a pre-set waypoint (an ‘alert shaping point’, in your description) has several useful functions. By way of a simple single example, let’s say you had planned yourself a day’s riding, down every twisty road you could find, passing through say five waypoints. For whatever reasons, you get up late and have to cut your day short. Instead of riding all the early morning twisty bits, you decide to cut your losses and go straight to waypoint three and pick your pre-planned twisty route up from there. The device will do that for you, taking you to the third waypoint (from wherever you are) creating a route just for you, predicated on your settings. From that point, it will then automatically pick up your pre-planned twisty route.

Another easy way to follow your planned route is to start close enough to your planned route that the GPS doesn't have the choice of a motorway or a twisty road. For example: you want to ride the Susten or Grimsel and head for Andermatt in Switzerland and on to Livigno, Italy so ensure you start the day from fairly nearby at Interlaken, Innerkirchen or similar and not so far away (e.g. Zurich) that an alternative motorway is available as an option.

Khulu makes an interesting observation. It’s good advice but ‘Start your day from on your route’ is not always possible.

Very often bods, particularly those that wing it (never knowing where they are going to stop, so have no idea where they’ll start from the next day) but have created a route for the next day anyway, a route with a definite start point (which is now several miles away) then get into all sorts of problems. Made worse when they have religiously ticked ‘Avoid motorways, avoid tolls’ and then moan that the bloody device has insisted on routing them down a bloody goat track, instead of taking them the 15 miles straight down the motorway in 12 minutes so that they can start their day’s hooning.

In particular.....

The ability to be taken straight to a pre-set waypoint (an ‘alert shaping point’, in your description) has several useful functions. By way of a simple single example, let’s say you had planned yourself a day’s riding, down every twisty road you could find, passing through say five waypoints. For whatever reasons, you get up late and have to cut your day short. Instead of riding all the early morning twisty bits, you decide to cut your losses and go straight to waypoint three and pick your pre-planned twisty route up from there. The device will do that for you, taking you to the third waypoint (from wherever you are) creating a route just for you, predicated on your settings. From that point, it will then automatically pick up your pre-planned twisty route.

Then for the sake of logic, simplicity and user friendliness should I click home as the first alert shaping point? Why, because that is where I’’m starting from and that is the first selection box on the list the satnav presents me with before I can start.

Cheers
Glenn

If you plot a route and want to stay on it either lock your Nav to "auto recalculate - off" it will stay on the desired route exactly. Or drop more shaping points (best just after junctions to "pull you through" the junction in the direction you want to go.

I tend to use both the above - if just slinging together a quick route i will set the nav to no recalculate - when i am planning more advanced routes abroad when on holiday i then use the full features of the system and drop more shaping points or waypoints and use the timers for set off and stop times and also this is useful when you want to build in scheduled breaks it gives you a fair idea what time you will be arriving at the hotel etc....

The only thing i dont use Basecamp for is for location search - i pull locations (waypoints) in from Bing maps as a long/ lat coordinate because the are very accurate and because when researching them on bing it gives you plenty of blurb about the location so you know Parking / Costs / Cafe / etc etc in advance. Think you can do the same with Google.

Admittedly Basecamp not for everyone but I never had a problem (I have to use it because I have a MAC) you just have to find the logic you are comfortable with and go with it. Its Easy once you have got the hang of it. I have a bit of a guide that I put together for a mate of mine if you want a copy PM me and I will send it via mail.
Rik

Because there is a distance of 26 miles between Home and Birch Bank select Home, otherwise your first 26 miles of carefully planned routing between will be ignored if you opt for Birch Bank.

Probably wiser to put a first Waypoint closer to Home (perhaps just on the outskirts of your home town on the road you want to be on for your route)

As for stripping shaping points, i don't, when you have base camp open click Ctrl & o together to open the options window in device transfer make sure you have "Always match route to the map of my device when transferring" selected.

Then for the sake of logic, simplicity and user friendliness should I click home as the first alert shaping point? Why, because that is where I’’m starting from and that is the first selection box on the list the satnav presents me with before I can start.

Cheers
Glenn

If you are sitting on your bike at ‘Home’ (the start point of your self-created route) and the bike cursor is shown sitting on (or very close to) the magenta line of your route, the chances are you can select the end point and all will be well.

If you are ever unsure:

1. Your self-created route will always have some very basic details that are always displayed before you select it. These are:

A map of the route along with little blue dots (shaping points) or flags (waypoints)

An estimate of the time taken to ride it

The distance of the route, start to finish

These are cast in stone.

When you run the route on your device, have a quick look that the shape of it, the time and the distance look near enough the same. If they do, the chances are you are good to go. If they are significantly different, then something has gone wrong. Sort out what it is.

Following on from post #15, if you create routes with no intermediate waypoints ie. only A to B with no points inbetween or with only shaping points between the two, you’ll never be offered intermediate points to chose from.

just put your start point 50 or so meters from where you are in the direction you are planing to go, start the route and it should ask you to navigate to the begining of the route and then start the route, someone will correct this if it is wrong.

Because there is a distance of 26 miles between Home and Birch Bank select Home, otherwise your first 26 miles of carefully planned routing between will be ignored if you opt for Birch Bank.

Probably wiser to put a first Waypoint closer to Home (perhaps just on the outskirts of your home town on the road you want to be on for your route)

As for stripping shaping points, i don't, when you have base camp open click Ctrl & o together to open the options window in device transfer make sure you have "Always match route to the map of my device when transferring" selected.

Thanks Jersey. From all the input I know that even though I have shaping points in the first 26 miles the Satnav will prompt me to select a shaping point alert when I first open up the map and select go. This will take me on the fastest route, not my created route.

Therefore I need to select Home, which is the start of my route and the first Satnav prompt to tick when the map opens up. One only confusion is that I can also tick the end point too. However what I have learned above...This will take me on the fastest route, not my created route?

As ever folks thanks for the input. I know others have been confused by this prompt.

Following on from post #15, if you create routes with no intermediate waypoints ie. only A to B with no points inbetween or with only shaping points between the two, you’ll never be offered intermediate points to chose from.

Thx Wapping, but my orange flags are alert shaping points, not way points right?

Back
Top Bottom