F850GS

karlp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So far done 130 miles on my F850GS

A much better bike than the F800GS
Smooth ride with no vibration up to 4500rpm ( that is the max so far).
Fuel is reading 76.8 mpg with 150 miles left in the tank - so range is acceptable
Seat height same as my 1200GS
Front brake as good as the GS, rear brake seems not as good.
Gear change smooth
6th gear gives 65mph at 4000 rpm so good for quick motorway riding.
Auto shift is good up and down the box

So far very pleased with it

So far done 130 miles on my F850GS

A much better bike than the F800GS
Fuel is reading 76.8 mpg with 150 miles left in the tank - so range is acceptable
Seat height same as my 1200GS
Front brake as good as the GS, rear brake seems not as good.
Gear change smooth
6th gear gives 65mph at 4000 rpm so good for quick motorway riding.
Auto shift is good up and down the box

So far very pleased with it

I thought the bikes had been withdrawn from sale due to a major design flaw ?

Had a test ride myself today and yes I agree with most of what you have stated. Engine is really strong, pulls well in road and more so in dynamic, especially from 4-6k.

I found the font end a little too softly sprung, however a little bit of back break helped reduce the dive when cornering. I managed 60 plus mpg and I was not particularly trying. So I am guessing high 60s, low 70s on a tour. I would say around 180 miles to a tank is possible. All in all very impressed. Yes the looks are a little strange but it feels much lighter than its published weight. Exhaust sounds nice also. I did notice that it does not lean much when set to one up when on the side stand, but ok when you select one up with luggage.

Its a watch this space.....but I am tempted. Just a little worried about first model issues and being a BMW test rider.

i contacted my dealer to use one of the demos yesterday ,The 850, when mine was in for service. They told me their had been taken of the road till further notice !

i contacted my dealer to use one of the demos yesterday ,The 850, when mine was in for service. They told me their had been taken of the road till further notice !

Don't be negative or grump karlp will have a go at you !!! I merely stated the same above and look at his reply....

4000 rpm in top gear at 65mph? very similar to an A Twin, and that is in dire need of a taller gear for any motorway riding. Can't imagine it being as efficient should it get to 70mph plus..The AT surely isn't. My consumption goes from 53mpg at 65 to about 40mpg anywhere near 75..

4000 rpm in top gear at 65mph? very similar to an A Twin, and that is in dire need of a taller gear for any motorway riding. Can't imagine it being as efficient should it get to 70mph plus..The AT surely isn't. My consumption goes from 53mpg at 65 to about 40mpg anywhere near 75..

Did about 480 miles in a weekend down to Devon/Cornwall on my ATAS 3 weeks ago, had a very strong headwind all the way down, sat at 75 most the way with oem panniers fitted and got 53mpg. On the way back, with a lighter tail wind, got 64mpg. That’s on a dct ATAS, set on touring, sport mode one, auto.

If the 850 can do 75mpg, that’s pretty good going, but panniers will knock probably 10mpg off that figure. I’m guessing most who buy the 850 will also put a bigger screen on. What do you think of the standard one, it’s very small, does bm do bigger optional ones?

My info is that the early bikes had an issue and these were the demo bikes sent to dealers. They had a restriction on them of 1500 miles. So maybe your dealers bike had done the 1500 miles.

My bike had the upgrade before it left the factory.

They were on short supply even before the launch date scheduled for March with only two going to my local dealer - one in June and one in September.

I had the one in June

My info is that the early bikes had an issue and these were the demo bikes sent to dealers. They had a restriction on them of 1500 miles. So maybe your dealers bike had done the 1500 miles.

My bike had the upgrade before it left the factory.

They were on short supply even before the launch date scheduled for March with only two going to my local dealer - one in June and one in September.

I had the one in June

Karl, I went to view last Saturday to Alton. The 850 was out on Dem but the 750 was not to be ridden (but I could still start it.....). Mike wouldn't comment on the actually issue - is it an engine problem?

Karl, I went to view last Saturday to Alton. The 850 was out on Dem but the 750 was not to be ridden (but I could still start it.....). Mike wouldn't comment on the actually issue - is it an engine problem?

There is a forum for the 850.com

My understanding is that there are/ were two issues

1. Oil breather (possibly hole not drilled correctly)
2. Engine bearing

I thought the bikes had been withdrawn from sale due to a major design flaw ?

H/Q have decided to let the first batch go to the dealers and take what consequences come their way and let the (admittedly good) warranty deal with the problems.

Thanks Davy.

Shame the OP couldn’t have replied without getting all uppity.

not getting uppity but every reply you get involved in is a knock at BMW.

maybe this time you had a genuine question but likewise it could have been like the rest of your posts

I dislike KTM for valid reasons - bikes breaking down, shite fueling,shite warranty but I do not keep on about it.

The first sign of it falling apart I will post it on here and you can remind me of this thread:beerjug:

not getting uppity but every reply you get involved in is a knock at BMW.

maybe this time you had a genuine question but likewise it could have been like the rest of your posts

I dislike KTM for valid reasons - bikes breaking down, shite fueling,shite warranty but I do not keep on about it.

The first sign of it falling apart I will post it on here and you can remind me of this thread:beerjug:

Yes, very valid reasons !!

I’m sure the KTM warranty is shite but I’ve rarely had to find out in the last 15 years .

Enjoy your bike .

I’m sure the KTM warranty is shite but I’ve rarely had to find out in the last 15 years .

Off topic slightly, but the KTM warranty and my dealer couldn’t have been better. Everything sorted out every time in a timely way. Maybe it’s down to each individual dealer which colours some peoples judgement and in reality, each dealer should offer the same service. But we all know that certain dealers let the side down no matter what brand is involved.

You’re not following the manufacturer’s running-in instructions, surely? The correct way to run-in any engine is to give it a healthy thrashing up to the rev limit. Be sure to use plenty of engine braking too as this helps the rings bed in.

At least, that’s what I read on a website... :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was told by a dealer that the prototype bikes apparently suffered from no issues, these were the bikes built in Germany from selected components, issues have arisen since the production bikes with engines not built in German factories and using components many of which have been sourced locally to the country of origin of said motors .

Shows that perhaps BMW should comprehensively test pre production models and then re test production bikes if they are using a number of major outsourced components

Back
Top Bottom