Is this bike worth a sniff

bart2181

Reaction score
Hiya guys.been looking for a all year round gsa.this bikes gonna be my workhorse..what's your opinions guys on this bad boyhttps://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R1200GS-ADVENTURE-2006-ABS-21k-miles-1-owner-HPI-clear-/352404205024

Has that got a servo ? If so, get them to remove before buying ! Looks clean though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cosmetic wise isn't an issue guys.im looking for something I can cover in acf50 and lob a bucket of water over once in a while.I'm new to the 1200.s so my mechanical knowledge of them is very limited.

Fair enough wanting a workhorse but theres probably a fair amount of corrosion lurking in an unloved bike like this one. Expect corroded brake pistons, rusty subframe and seized fasteners as a minimum.
I have had to strip everything on my '08 GSA to get it back to a working condition and it was not in this state (but did have twice the miles) and whilst I dont mind replacing stuff, beemer parts are reassuringly expensive - even second hand parts, so your cheap purchase slowly starts getting expensive.
Better to wait for a bike to appear on here where you will get some history and a glimmer of someone owning it who wants to look after it, or take someone along with you who has seen it all before.

Thanks for all replies guys.this bike has my name on it.it reminds me of one of my old 1100.s......I put 60k on it in 3 yrs ownership.....all year roubd riding..it looked like it'd been dragged out the bottom of a canal��...but mechanically wise I'd looked after it and would've happily jumped on that bike for a round the globe tour....corrosion=not an issue.....mechanical failures(engine/gearbox)= Big issues.....

Doesn't look bad to me at all. Mine is a similar model and from what I can see (which isn't that much) there is not much corrosion or rusting.

My experience of Motorworks is positive - they know their stuff and are helpful and decent. I would feel comfortable buying a bike from them

Fair enough wanting a workhorse but theres probably a fair amount of corrosion lurking in an unloved bike like this one. Expect corroded brake pistons, rusty subframe and seized fasteners as a minimum.
I have had to strip everything on my '08 GSA to get it back to a working condition and it was not in this state (but did have twice the miles) and whilst I dont mind replacing stuff, beemer parts are reassuringly expensive - even second hand parts, so your cheap purchase slowly starts getting expensive.
Better to wait for a bike to appear on here where you will get some history and a glimmer of someone owning it who wants to look after it, or take someone along with you who has seen it all before.

If you want a workhorse get an 1150. But its a BMW so expect high ownership costs.

Rear brake can be rebuilt for £20 worth of seals from BMW. Front brakes will cost £60 per caliper for seals and phenolic pistons. The old metal pistons corrode. Discs are about as costly as for any other bike.

Frame parts corrode quite badly where you can't see the damage and often where you can see it. Shot blast, zinc metal spray and paint will be good for ever. Alternatively powder coat with a conductive zinc undercoat. Plain powder coat or paint wont be good enough and rust will return.

Alternator casing expands and cracks.

Engine front cover up top where's its entirely hidden can corrode badly enough to cause oil leaks.

Starter motors are weak so budget at least one new one.

Gearbox rattles = excessive end float. Full rebuild is the only option

Clutch friction plate is not silly money but the whole clutch is outrageously expensive. If the gearbox splines are worn you'll need a new gearbox.

The top LH engine to gearbox mount often seizes. Check how many boxes on eBay are damaged right there.
The trick is to tap the gearbox bolt hole (M12 IIRC but might be M14) and use a suitable bolt to jack the box off the engine. Turn the threads off the bolt for long enough so it bottoms in the bolt hole. Jacking it direct on the engine risks further damage.

Final drive - When the wheel bearing fails you "can" DIY but it's not easy and always better to get it fully rebuilt. £500

Drive shaft UJs fail. especially the back one. Silly money from BMW but Mikeyboy does a rebuild service.

Suspension can be rebuilt for about £150 per shock.

Wheels corrode especially the stainless spokes into aluminium hubs. Rebuild costs are high and you will be unlikely to stop the corrosion. I use GS alloy wheels (powder coated) for winter use as they cope a lot better.

Thanks bendy toy for your very Informative usefull reply...��quite scary really..some expensive bills to consider....Although apart from the gearbox I'd be happy tackling all those problems myself....my mind is 90% made up...I'm having the bike if it's still available...��

If you want a workhorse get an 1150. But its a BMW so expect high ownership costs.

Rear brake can be rebuilt for £20 worth of seals from BMW. Front brakes will cost £60 per caliper for seals and phenolic pistons. The old metal pistons corrode. Discs are about as costly as for any other bike.

Frame parts corrode quite badly where you can't see the damage and often where you can see it. Shot blast, zinc metal spray and paint will be good for ever. Alternatively powder coat with a conductive zinc undercoat. Plain powder coat or paint wont be good enough and rust will return.

Alternator casing expands and cracks.

Engine front cover up top where's its entirely hidden can corrode badly enough to cause oil leaks.

Starter motors are weak so budget at least one new one.

Gearbox rattles = excessive end float. Full rebuild is the only option

Clutch friction plate is not silly money but the whole clutch is outrageously expensive. If the gearbox splines are worn you'll need a new gearbox.

The top LH engine to gearbox mount often seizes. Check how many boxes on eBay are damaged right there.
The trick is to tap the gearbox bolt hole (M12 IIRC but might be M14) and use a suitable bolt to jack the box off the engine. Turn the threads off the bolt for long enough so it bottoms in the bolt hole. Jacking it direct on the engine risks further damage.

Final drive - When the wheel bearing fails you "can" DIY but it's not easy and always better to get it fully rebuilt. £500

Drive shaft UJs fail. especially the back one. Silly money from BMW but Mikeyboy does a rebuild service.

Suspension can be rebuilt for about £150 per shock.

Wheels corrode especially the stainless spokes into aluminium hubs. Rebuild costs are high and you will be unlikely to stop the corrosion. I use GS alloy wheels (powder coated) for winter use as they cope a lot better.
Took your advice.and I'm now the proud owner of a 02 1150gsa.....👍

Back
Top Bottom