Completely dead Nav 6 ...

Bobbin-Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've had it in the bike mount for a couple of hours of riding, had it connected to external power, had the battery out and back in, but it still won't come to life. It had in recent months seemed to be an intermittent problem but now it's completely dead.

Anyone experienced the same?

If it’s under warranty, return to BMW.

If it’s not, contact Garmin, who are usually very helpful

How, if he cannot turn the unit on?

Perform Master Reset on a BMW Motorrad Navigator V/VI

Note: A master reset may erase all favorites1 and will restore your device to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up your favorites to your computer, see related content below:

To perform a master reset on a BMW Motorrad Navigator V/VI device:

Start with the device off and unplugged from power
To verify the device is powered off and not in standby mode, touch and hold down the power button until prompted to turn off the device
Touch and hold the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen
Power on the device
"System" will appear on the screen for approximately 30 seconds
Remove your finger when the screen displays Loading...
The device will automatically reset. Follow the on screen prompts to set your locale and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

1Although the master reset may erase all saved favorites, any loaded custom points of interest will remain intact on the device.

but it still won't come to life.

I read that as he cannot get the screen to light up at all. Either the screen is dead or there is no power. Either will render any attempt to do a hard or soft reset impossible, as they both require either power to be available within the device itself or the touchscreen to function.

Plug it in to your PC/laptop and boot up basecamp.

let it synchronize and then unplug it. See if it powers up.

That might get it going, but I suspect you should return it to BMW anyway.

Al

Has it been off the bike a while before you used it? If so, the battery maybe flat. Had the same issue with a Nav V, even putting it in the mount for a ride, didn't revive it. In the end I charged it with a usb charger for a few hours and it started to work. The thing with the Nav V and probably the Vi as well, when you stop and the thing switches off, its not actually off, its in standby so keeps draining the battery. The only way to switch it off is, cancel when the option comes up, take it out the mount, cancel again and then switch it off via the power button. But as others have said, take it back to the mothership.

Nav VI doesn't turn off in the cradle like the V does when you switch the bike off so will run the battery flat in a few days.
PITA having to take it out of the cradle every time so I don't bother if I know its going to get used again soon.
Otherwise I pull it out and take the opportunity to update the cameras, etc.
Shit programming by BMW - hamstringing Garmin to not allow numerous features that are available on the equivalent Garmin unit.

Nav VI doesn't turn off in the cradle like the V does when you switch the bike off so will run the battery flat in a few days.
PITA having to take it out of the cradle every time so I don't bother if I know its going to get used again soon.
Otherwise I pull it out and take the opportunity to update the cameras, etc.
Shit programming by BMW - hamstringing Garmin to not allow numerous features that are available on the equivalent Garmin unit.

Like I said the Nav V also doesn't turn off in the cradle, it goes to standby, well it does on an RT anyway, it says switching off when the power goes off, but its not actually switching off.

There is a post on the 1200rt.com forum who had the same issue, it was swapped, apparently Garmin know about this issue.

Has it been off the bike a while before you used it? If so, the battery maybe flat. Had the same issue with a Nav V, even putting it in the mount for a ride, didn't revive it. In the end I charged it with a usb charger for a few hours and it started to work. The thing with the Nav V and probably the Vi as well, when you stop and the thing switches off, its not actually off, its in standby so keeps draining the battery. The only way to switch it off is, cancel when the option comes up, take it out the mount, cancel again and then switch it off via the power button. But as others have said, take it back to the mothership.

It works! Not sure whether I've scared it into submission by posting on here or whether leaving it plugged into a slightly more powerful iPad USB charger for 6 hours has had the most effect, but it's finally come to life. I don't normally remove it from the bike, even if I do I don't do a full shut down so I think the battery may have become fully discharged if that's possible, I'm not very techie with those sort of things. So is the best advice to remove it and turn it off completely (10 second hold of the power button) after each ride? It seems a little daft that it can't be powered down without removing it from the cradle. It also makes having keyless ride pretty pointless if I need to unlock the cradle every time!

It works! Not sure whether I've scared it into submission by posting on here or whether leaving it plugged into a slightly more powerful iPad USB charger for 6 hours has had the most effect, but it's finally come to life. I don't normally remove it from the bike, even if I do I don't do a full shut down so I think the battery may have become fully discharged if that's possible, I'm not very techie with those sort of things. So is the best advice to remove it and turn it off completely (10 second hold of the power button) after each ride? It seems a little daft that it can't be powered down without removing it from the cradle. It also makes having keyless ride pretty pointless if I need to unlock the cradle every time!

I can only speak for the Nav V, but I switch off, press cancel when the thing says switching off, take it out the cradle, press cancel again and then switch it off by using the power off button. Like I said the Nav V only goes into standby if you leave it on the bike. So I would assume the VI is the same. You can tell, because if its in standby, it comes straight to life, if its actually off, you get the garmin startup screen. If you use it a lot it should be ok in standby for a week. I had exactly the same as you, and it wouldn't start again until I charged it from a usb charger for a few hours. Garmin told me about the standby thing. Glad its working again

I assume the "off" mode you use is hold the button for a few seconds until it shows on the screen "Turn off the device? Cancel/Off"?
If I do this it goes through a full startup when I turn it back on.

I assume the "off" mode you use is hold the button for a few seconds until it shows on the screen "Turn off the device? Cancel/Off"?
If I do this it goes through a full startup when I turn it back on.

yes, full startup means its off

Back
Top Bottom