BMW R1200 GSA Rallye

Chandlers tightened several spokes in my front wheel this morning while I drank their coffee. Fingers crossed that is that...

Chris

Dealer re-torqued my 9 loose spokes but new wheel on back order for me. I'm confident that the wheel building company will triple check the latest batch before delivering them to BMW.

Rode it for just over 100 miles today. Felt good and no loose spokes when I got home!

Bike going in for it's 6k service on 2 August so hope the wheel will be here by then

Mike

Checked my back wheel to see if there was any runoff after 8 spokes were tightened and it is 100% true with no ovality in any direction. Further more after covering 1000 miles the spokes are still tight so it would appear a good tech can tighten up more than 2 spokes and keep the wheel straight or maybe I was lucky?

I will however always keep an eye open moving forward with my daily/weekly checks.

Interesting thread. My March 2018 Rallye TE is currently awaiting a new rear wheel due to 7 loose spokes after the trip to Garmisch. 4500 miles on clock. Dealer has been good; I’m currently using their new 850 GS.

New wheel supplied and fitted by Coopers at Sunderland, loaned me a Nine T Urban for a couple of days. Cracking service from a great bunch of lads.

But why would you want a car in bike riding season, if it was icy cold, OK, but in summer, I would be going bonkers..........correction I am bonkers so it does not count.........:D

Well you can go bonkers sat in an airconditioned free transport box or ...

go bonkers on foot.

Its a free world

Make the best of a bad job....

My bike was returned today having had 3 front spokes tightened and 3 rear tightened. Apparently this not a fault but a service item like having valve clearances checked! Told it was free this time but will be charged next time. 2018 GSA Rallye with 1800 miles on it!

My bike was returned today having had 3 front spokes tightened and 3 rear tightened. Apparently this not a fault but a service item like having valve clearances checked! Told it was free this time but will be charged next time. 2018 GSA Rallye with 1800 miles on it!

Nice touch that .......charging you for their time on an item that shouldn't need tightening

Lovely customer focussed dealer.....Name and shame so others can avoid

Who the hell is your dealer? :eek:

BMW need to be notified about them.

Dealer re-torqued my 9 loose spokes but new wheel on back order for me. I'm confident that the wheel building company will triple check the latest batch before delivering them to BMW.

Rode it for just over 100 miles today. Felt good and no loose spokes when I got home!

Bike going in for it's 6k service on 2 August so hope the wheel will be here by then

Mike

Dealer rang today.

New back wheel being fitted next Thursday when they have the bike for the 6k service...............got an XR for the day!!!!!

Mike

Who the hell is your dealer? :eek:

BMW need to be notified about them.

Well they have two branches and it wasn't the Alton one. They have always been great before, when my 2015 GSA needed a new frame due the usual rust issues they went into bat with BMW to ensure the costs were covered as good will when a warranty cla M was refused.

Well they have two branches and it wasn't the Alton one. They have always been great before, when my 2015 GSA needed a new frame due the usual rust issues they went into bat with BMW to ensure the costs were covered as good will when a warranty cla M was refused.

Pm me the details, and I’m happy to make some calls for you when I get home, as that’s not acceptable

I'm guessing your dealer is not a million miles from Maidenhead. When I complained about 6 spokes on the rear wheel of my 2018 GSA being loose about a week ago, the service advisor told me that they had never come across this problem before and that they never look at forums because they're full of misinformation! They did agree to take my bike in and eventually agreed to change the rear wheel but were unable to provide a loan bike for the 3 weeks whilst the new wheel was being delivered. After I kicked up a fuss, my case was taken up by Terry the service manager who to be fair seems like a competent guy. He offered to take a wheel off another bike to keep me going and he also managed to pull the delivery of the new wheel forward and I should get my bike back next week. Sounds like you need to speak to Terry

Btw I have heard from another GSA owner that the wheel problem is now recognised by BMW as an official alert (PUMA alert I believe they call it)

If dealing with Bahnstormer Maidenhead, speak to Terry as he’s the service manager. Dean Buck is the dealer principal, if Terry can’t help you.

If dealing with Bahnstormer Maidenhead, speak to Terry as he’s the service manager. Dean Buck is the dealer principal, if Terry can’t help you.

Terry has always been brilliant and sorted out the frame replacement on the last GSA. I'm guessing he is being directed by BMW on the tightening of spokes versus replacement. My initial conversation with Terry highlighted that Bahnstormer had seen four similar bikes in July and that BMW were advising that less than six spokes the wheels just needed adjusting. Over six would have been a replacement. The subsequent advice from him was on the serviceable piece. He didn't mention a PUMA notice last week.

Terry has always been brilliant and sorted out the frame replacement on the last GSA. I'm guessing he is being directed by BMW on the tightening of spokes versus replacement. My initial conversation with Terry highlighted that Bahnstormer had seen four similar bikes in July and that BMW were advising that less than six spokes the wheels just needed adjusting. Over six would have been a replacement. The subsequent advice from him was on the serviceable piece. He didn't mention a PUMA notice last week.

Well if he can’t help you, nobody can. What a sorry state of affairs.

And again, and again.

Big thanks to CW Motorcycles who have been fantastic through all this.

Recap.
New GSA end March 2018
New wheels needed at 800 miles (April 2018) because the spokes were wobbling around enough to effect handling in a straight line.
2 weeks ago at 3600 miles had the Spokes checked whiles CW were investigating a ESA error. Several needed adjusting on the rear wheel and the front was deemed OK

I'm a little paranoid about this now so keep finding myself checking the spokes listening for that Ting ting. Yesterday after a 100 mile ride I thought that several on the front wheel were thunking and not tinging any longer so this morning I went to CW and asked them to reassure me that the wheel was ok and I was imagining it. Bike went straight into the workshop where a very pleasant German technician took a look. Rear wheel fine but they gave up checking the front as 9 of the first 11 they checked were unacceptable!

New wheel on overnight delivery from BMW so fortunately whatever backlog they may have had has been sorted. Came home on a R1200RS which is seriously uncomfortable compared to the GSA but nice of them to find a ride for me at such short notice.

New wheel supplied and fitted by Coopers at Sunderland, loaned me a Nine T Urban for a couple of days. Cracking service from a great bunch of lads.

Must be a different bunch of lads to the disagreeable, unhelpful bunch of idiots who handled the purchase of my last bike, resulting in me travelling more than halfway across the UK because they couldn’t pull their finger out to organise delivery - then magically they forgot to transfer ownership for six weeks after I collected it. Totally unable to get hold of them on the phone and they ignored emails for a week on average - apart from when I was buying the bike, of course. It’s a good thing they’re a long way away so I never have to deal with them again!

Back
Top Bottom