R100gs Caliper torque loads

barny

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I challenge the font of all knowledge to come up with the torque load for the two bolts which assemble the 2 halves of the Brembo P9 caliper on the R100gs (1994) . I have just overhauled the caliper with new pistons, seals, thoroughly cleaned and resprayed. I also fitted new a hose and pads to give me a base line of performance so I will at least know how bad the brakes are before fitting an HE disk conversion in the near future.

I have tried most sources to find the torque figure, Haynes, Google, here, Motor-works (where the parts came from).

Regards :thumby:

Barny (Ian)

The only printed reference I have ever found for caliper halves relates to the Brembo P8 calipers as fitted to the later twin shock airheads; I never found a value published by BMW (or Moto Guzzi, or any of the seal kit suppliers) and it wasn't for want of looking......but my Norton rotary is fitted with the same calipers and the workshop manual for that quotes 30/33 lb ft.

I appreciate it's not the same caliper, and you could probably find a generic value for the size of bolt, but if you find nothing else it's probably not far removed.........Mick.

That just what I have been finding no specific values. But thanks for the info so far, I did not realise the Norton had the same caliper. I have asked Motor-works who rebuild and sell reconditioned units but I am still waiting for a reply.

Thanks

Barny

Well I have the definitive answer from M/W

“Can’t find any listing so I would quote BMW in the R26 manual and say tighten sensibly”

That seems rather open ended, but without any better information I have used Kettle738's information and allowing for using a small amount of "copperslip" I have gone with 25lbs Ft which allowing for about 5-8Lbs Ft for being lubricated. So far under pressure all last night with an clamp around the bar and lever and no leaks.

Barny

Sorry, forgot to add that I had taken that from factory manual for R80GS-R100R, they do also show a breakdown and reassembly for the GS but no values are given in that description.

I have read somewhere that the best torque is nil - that is just leave them alone as splitting them is rarely successful!

I have read that too. Can't remember where.

I have however split several such Brembo calipers with no issues at all.

I have read somewhere that the best torque is nil - that is just leave them alone as splitting them is rarely successful!
What complete rubbish,:blast
I have split hundreds of calipers for service or cosmetic refurb,brembo tokico etc with no issues ,I’ve never had one leak
Just ensure cleanliness when rebuilding.

A standard steel m8 bolt 8.8 tensile 18 to 25 nm
A standard steel m10 bolt 8.8 tensile 37 to 50 nm
So 20 for an m8 40 for m10
If the bolt is high tensile m8 30 nm
M10 is 60 nm
Tensile rating may be stamped,maybe not
If unsure of tensile rating try gently putting a file across one ,if it cuts ,its low tensile if it skids it’s high

I didn't express any opinion, just said I had read it somewhere.
If you google - Splitting Brembo calipers - you will find a variety of opinions, just like you will with most things.
Most, including Brembo themselves, advise against it.
FWIW Brembo also advise against most forms of cosmetic refurbishment.
But what would they know?
Some even consider that the bolts are single use stretch bolts, which might be the reason that there are no torque figures around, so perhaps the first line of your ill mannered post ACTUALLY APPLIES EQUALLY WELL TO YOUR COMPLETE POST.
We all owe each other a moral , and legal, duty of care, particularly where safety items like brakes are concerned, and it might be prudent if youwere to check your facts before you abuse other posters and spout out inaccurate and possibly dangerous rubbish!

I remember from the past that I was told that BMW "recommend" that you do not spit the calipers and that if you need to do this, (because you cannot get the pistons out), then you should replace the calipers - this information came from a BMW guy I met years ago who was very knowledgeable and he said that BMW always would err on the side of complete safety - (don't split them just for the sake of it, if you need to clean or paint them etc., or even replace the pistons, keep them together)
why - because if you separate the two halves you may get distortions when tightening the new bolts which may cause the calipers to leak especially under pressure
BUT
my view has always been that you should only split the halves when it is absolutely necessary, (i.e. if it is the only way to get the pistons out) - which is the qualified advice that Snowbum has always given - if you do you should always replace the O rings etc., that should come with the kit and always inspect the surfaces to ensure that there is no damage

Saying all this, I have split (Brembo) calipers, cleaned them thoroughly, fitted new parts, reassembled them and not had any problems
- torque settings - I tightened them until they feel "right" as I have never been able to find an advised torque settings in any manual or BMW literature.
It goes without saying that you should always use new bolts

Obviously if you do this it is only sensible to keep an extra eye on them

(new calipers set are really expensive so if you are buying used just be careful and inspect them carefully - another reason which will cause most to rebuild rather than replace)

For what it's worth, this is Norton Motors Rotary workshop manual section on overhauling the Brembo calipers; these are the same calipers as used on the post 1981 airheads.

The torque values are shown on the second page, it's the only place I have ever found them published.

Mick.

Attachments

• Brembo Overhaul_2 (888x1280).jpg
    Brembo Overhaul_2 (888x1280).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 469
  • Brembo Overhaul_1 (883x1280).jpg
    Brembo Overhaul_1 (883x1280).jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 569
Cookie, bolts which have to be replaced every time are usually are bolts.
And the Norton book warns, dont bother to split if you are trying to fix a seized piston as it wont work.
The official Brembo site also warns against cosmetic enhancements, so there are few reasons to split them anyway, particularly as the seals are not in the rebuild kit and at best will have to be replaced with Ebay items of unknown provenance.
Dont know if Brembo even supply the correct bolts------------.

I still don't believe they are stretch bolts.

They don't look like stretch bolts, they look like common or garden cap head, shouldered bolts. I suspect it's liability arse covering.

I still don't believe they are stretch bolts.

They don't look like stretch bolts, they look like common or garden cap head, shouldered bolts. I suspect it's liability arse covering.

I tend to agree. As always, there are some exceptions from an engineering perspective/application, but it would be a little unusual to use a stretch bolt to clamp 2 halves together where there are high load hydraulic opposing forces - which would have a tendency to stretch the fastening..........

Back
Top Bottom