Ride guide to Spain and Portugal, free with September 2018 edition in the shops July

Wapping

Reaction score
6e35bde3e7b7955eaca242d8a3ad0baa.png

It’ll be in the issue with September 2018 on the cover.

It looks pretty good.

Screen shots of the cover, along with the areas covered.

78321579cd8b54898cc4abba2b1f9144.png

9f8c353f640d79f0ebabdaa7c8261f1f.png

31842de4202b184aa063692db3ebed91.png

Along with just a sample from the section on the ever popular Pyrenees:

ec13a01aac9fcc801703230dacc641d0.png

7924c8bda01199e8c520fd0142e6448e.png

Are all the routes perfect? No, of course not. Not least as the magazine is limited for space and has to cater for all sorts of skill levels, confidences, time available, riding preferences and machines ridden. Are they good enough for a holiday, requiring nothing more than a download to a gps device and (hopefully) a bit of imagination? Most definitely, yes.

Have they maybe missed that cracking road between A and B and on to C? Quite possibly; you’ll maybe find it (or another one) when you go. Be sure to let the magazine and UKGSer know when you trip over it, finding it so good you just had to ride it twice.

Will it answer the not infrequent, “Me and me 7 mates is off to Spain Tuesday for six days we want great twisties noes mototorways” type appeals, usually posted at midnight on Monday? Indeed it should. Will the bod and his seven mates trouble themselves long enough to look at it? Time will tell how arsed they can be.

For a couple of quid spent in WHSmith, is it worth it? Again, definitely yes. Hats off to RiDE for at least trying to offer up a nicely presented article, making it reasonably easy for anyone to hit some decent enough roads in a very large country.

Here’s the link to the website and those all important gps downloads / route previews in Google maps:

https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-1/ride-guide-to-spain-and-portugal

Not least, before anyone moans....

db1ab1611b737128264f4b89119e2742.png

:agree totally with your comments Wapping.
It’s a very useful addition to anyone planning a trip to either Spain or Portugal as there are some real handy snippets of info, for example when riding in Spain if you wear specs you are legally required to carry a spare pair. :Motomartin

If anyone uses the RiDE routes, let the magazine know via these pages. Pictures, suggestions, hotels, things to see and do (and what not to do) anything will do

I’ve booked a campsite on the RIDE recommended Sort loop in La Pobla De Segur - Camping Collegats. It’s normally used by Simon_100 for his HISS events and is cheap, clean, has cold beer and as said is right on some of the best routes

Should be fun :beerjug:

Wapping, missed this issue. Do you have a PDF + how to get a hold of the GPX files? Will be on the road down there for 6 weeks or so Sep/Oct and I can thread a route round them :thumby:

Thx
Glenn

The route downloads are on the RiDE website; see opening post.

Copies of the full article will be available from RiDE’s back issues department or via the Readly app.

The route downloads are on the RiDE website; see opening post.

Copies of the full article will be available from RiDE’s back issues department or via the Readly app.

Perfect.. got what I need.
Ta
Glenn

Someone bought me the PDF today. Plenty of interesting stuff :thumb
I'd know some of the roads but looking to try a few more in Oct

A quick note on back issues/ordering it online: the initial stock held by this team sold out within a few days (ahem, I told them to stock more, but did they listen, etc) and nowadays there’s no publisher’s reserve to top up. This means anyone trying to get a paper copy from back issues in August was like to have been frustrated (not as frustrated as me, etc). However, they will be restocked: magazines go out to the trade on a sale-or-return basis, so once the returns from retail are collected, the back issues team will be resupplied - hopefully with the number of copies I suggested in the first place!

In other words, if you wanted it but couldn’t get it, you should be able to order a back issue from early/mid September onwards

Good to know digital will have it. I'll wait till late Sept and get digital if no paper one shows up. At end of the day I'd just want the picos and western pyrenees part but some nice articles in the main mag too.

The version on Readly does, for sure.

Dowloaded the pages I wanted from Readly yesterday. They were doing a free 2 day trial with the app, no preloading credit card details, automatic cancellation etc, seemed like a no brainer. Its all there, although I much prefer the feel of a magazine in my hand as opposed to constant shuttling back and forth with me saving files in pdf format to google drive to print out on a PC. I'll shut up not lest I be diluting this excellent thread and its links.

This Guide has a 'pillion-friendly' tour called 'Historic Cities Tour'. I'm thinking of following this route which will be the first time touring with my wife. Just wondered if anyone has done it and if you would recommend it (or any bits that you would miss out)? My first choice on the bike when solo would be Pyrenees or Picos so this will be a bit different.

RiDE magazine, by its own admission, has to cater for a wide readership of unknown abilities on a bike. They will, by-and-large, do their best to please everyone, which leads to some compromises. The suggested tour is an easy one (their words) so it will be just that and ‘pillion friendly’ as well.

Can it be done better? Of course someone will say, yes.

Look at the GPS routes, as I am not sure the map links still work. Look at your own maps. Do the suggestions look OK to you? Yes? Job done.

Makes me laugh a bit, terms like "Easy" and "Pillion Friendly" - FFS we are talking about roads in Western Europe, not travelling across war torn Syria!

I remember people telling me that I should not attempt the Splugen Pass on a sportsbike - I did it two up on a ZZR1400, before taking on the Umbrail pass when some of it was still unpaved.

To me "Pillion Friendly" really should just mean not too bumpy - what else do they have to worry about on the back?

If I used the term "Easy" it would only be in relation to the length of the days, that is the only thing I consider limiting for some folk, if they cannot safely ride their own motorcycle on a paved road then they should not be allowed to ride it!

As stated though, I have not seen anything in RIde magazine that I would consider anything other than fairly easy due to them having to cater for Sportsbikes, Harleys, Gold Wings, Tourers and Adventure bikes...

...And our bikes tend to make most kinds of road easier than the other classes of motorcycle,

Back
Top Bottom