Wind buffeting

GreyHairedWombat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dear Tossers,

I would appreciate your advice

Just had 4 days away with the Mrs touring the Welsh borders covering some 700 miles on my R1200GS 2017. This was a dry run before trying a longer run abroad. If needing to cover some distance we will probably need to use some motorways.

We thoroughly enjoyed the A and B roads in Wales and the borders plus to and from Shropshire trying to avoid motorways/dual carriageways. Partly because the A & B roads provide far more pleasure but also as wife hates the wind buffeting at high speeds we encounter on motorways/dual carriageways.

We are both tall'ish (6'2" and 6') and even with screen set to max no real difference. I had a 2003 1150GS until Jan this year I can't say I really noticed as much wind buffeting. Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone found an improvement with an alternative screen? Is it just something prevalent on adventure bikes where the narrowness of the screen and the distance from the riders causes the wind to come round and cause this?

Thanks,

Richard

Set the screen to minimum works way better no buffeting on the helmet, if that is what you are talking about, I am also 6ft 2, the bigger the barn door you put on the bike the more wind going to bash the bike around at higher speeds.

I have a Puig screen on mine and the wife says its much better for buffeting... but as said (not yet experianced).. it may be a bit worst in crosswinds?

There seems to be three different approaches to this problem:

1. Use a very small screen to allow unrestricted "clean" air flow, but your passenger might get turbulence. You will also get the full force of Bugs when sunny and fog / rain when not.
2. Use a Barn Door like a Puig / Givi or such like. I prefer these as the screen gets the bugs and Fog etc leaving your visor clean, but you have little air flow and can overheat on very hot days. Also there is the sail effect of these huge bits of plastic. Your passenger might get some strange negative air pressure issues with this type of screen (can pull your passenger into your back for instance). You will NEED a screen brace for this type. Givi do one for £25 that is good enough.
3. Use a MRA or such like, that disturbs / slows the air before it hits you giving the benefit of pretty good protection for a smaller device. Have a look at The Missenden Flyer's video on this, to see the difference.

It is trial and error to see which you prefer, or ask to ride a bike with different screens fitted if there are owners in your area.

Screens - the perennial nightmare. What works for one rider, probably won't work for others; it's the law of sod. My garage loft bears witness to many a failed screen change.

Can't speak for your GS, but all my Super10 needed were winglets, which stopped the air rising up from ahead/ below the screen, which was creating the turbulance. Sometimes it's mirrors, sometimes it's the passenger leaning back, sometimes it's just hot turbulant air from other vehicles tumbling over/around the screen. It can even be your own clothing aggravating the situation - say loose jacket sleeves. Tight leathers always seem best IMHO, but are far from the flexible approach a rally/adv. suit provides. Personally I detest barn door screens - I don't want to sit an a bubble of still air with a massive back draught, but each to their own. Good ear protection remains essential too.

A bit of analysis will help. Can you identify the source of the issue by moving hands/body/mirror angle/screen height? Possibly winglets & a top lip deflector will sort it. Have a look at NN's offerings..... https://www.nippynormans.com/screen...lets/deflectors-and-winglets?p=3&ps=15&s=6&f=

Many thanks to all for the invaluable advice

Yes, the buffeting was around the helmet for me and around the back of my wife's helmet. I'm sure the wind buffeting was much less with the screen down when I was so hot I needed more airflow. I will try that again. The wind deflectors look interesting and maybe worth a try

Thanks again,

Richard

Down is the key, enough to take the pressure off your chest and arms ridind, then let the helmets, do what the are designed for, a few bugs is part of riding, except the stinky bugs.

I have just bought the MRA vario screen which for me is a lot better ( quieter & no buffeting) than the standard or Puig touring that came with the bike. the best position I found for all the screens was just wound slightly off the highest position. I do have Cymarc screen braces fitted.

Dear Tossers,

I would appreciate your advice

Just had 4 days away with the Mrs touring the Welsh borders covering some 700 miles on my R1200GS 2017. This was a dry run before trying a longer run abroad. If needing to cover some distance we will probably need to use some motorways.

We thoroughly enjoyed the A and B roads in Wales and the borders plus to and from Shropshire trying to avoid motorways/dual carriageways. Partly because the A & B roads provide far more pleasure but also as wife hates the wind buffeting at high speeds we encounter on motorways/dual carriageways.

We are both tall'ish (6'2" and 6') and even with screen set to max no real difference. I had a 2003 1150GS until Jan this year I can't say I really noticed as much wind buffeting. Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone found an improvement with an alternative screen? Is it just something prevalent on adventure bikes where the narrowness of the screen and the distance from the riders causes the wind to come round and cause this?

Thanks,

Richard

I have an MRA Vario for sale - not posted it up on here yet was going to do it and a few other bits this weekend:

https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/BM...RA_Adjustable_Motorcycle_Touring_Screens.html

You can have it for £50 including postage (UK Mainland only).

The obvious solution is --------dont go to Wales :blast

If you must go. Try the Givi screen Part number 5108DT.

After a weekend riding with the MRA, I'm still looking for something better. I'm going to splash out on a new Givi 5108DT screen unless someone has one they want to swap for a Puig touring.

I'm 6ft4" and bought this which came recommended

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071CSB2TX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was cheap at 30 quit and I only bought it as an experiment thinking I'd buy something better if I liked it. It works a treat on my 09 GSA and it's well made with height and angle adjustment, stainless fittings etc. The only comment I would have is that it's quite narrow...but for 30 quit you can't get it all I suppose.

The obvious solution is --------dont go to Wales :blast

If you must go. Try the Givi screen Part number 5108DT.

Is it the same screen for the GS & GSA?
Ta

As has been said, it's going to be trial and error - even helmet type can come into the mix. For what it's worth, I found that there a sweetish-spot for me with the std GS screen, which is about 3/4 way up, which takes the worse of the head buffeting off without then deflecting it onto the arms and chest.

I have the wunderlich deflectors and was a bit a disappointed with how they worked for me - didn't seem to make much difference. However in fairness I'd probably have to doing a bit of testing with them on and off to come to a proper conclusion. Can't be doing with large screen though: I prefer me tractor to look at least a little bit sporty. The other thing to note about the deflectors is that they seem to scratch quite easily (I put 3M film on mine).

So far on the GSA.
Standard was awful I only rode @ a mile and took it off.
The PUIG was OK just off fully raised and with my visor up strangely enough.
The MRA Vario slightly better than the PUIG again best position for me is fully raised.
Just bit the bullet & bought the Givi, not many to try after that.

At 6’ 1” on an lc GSA with a standard screen set at high position I get a buffeting. Set at low I get a buffeting. I can’t be bothered so just get on with it. The only issue is the noise.

At 6’ 1” on an lc GSA with a standard screen set at high position I get a buffeting. Set at low I get a buffeting. I can’t be bothered so just get on with it. The only issue is the noise.

Its the noise I have to try & deal with. I suffer with Tinnitus and riding a bike makes it worse.

Back
Top Bottom