Breaking down on a Short trip (Ireland)

Jordash

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, my wife and I are currently on a one week tour of Ireland, I'm on R1200GS and she's on a F650gs (twin).

We planned to ride up from Dublin to Belfast, do the Causeway Coastal Route and then move onto the Wild Atlantic Way. No problems for the first 5 days, but yesterday I had a fault I couldn't fix on the road side; my throttle cable snapped!

At this point we realised that we have European Insurance cover, but not Breakdown cover!

Thankfully it happened at 4pm on a Thursday, so places are still open. Thanks to the wonders of Google I find a motorbike service place 30 miles away and give them a call, 'sorry I only do Jap stuff, try xxx'. So I give the next guy a call, 'I've got a cable for an RT, but I don't think it's right for your bike, let me check online and get back to you'. I still need to get recovered so the guy recommends a recovery company. I give them a call and fine that they are only a mile or two away. So a slow ride on tick over gets us to the garage.

We spent the next couple of hours tinkering and thankfully manage to get a bodge in place.

During this time the second guy calls back to say that he can't get the part until Monday, but if we got recovered to him he could have a go at a temp fix.

Sadly this means we need to start heading home a day early, as we don't want to push our luck, but have been really impressed with how helpful people were. In the end it only cost us €40, but I don't fancy the cost of a recovery to Dublin. Once on the boat I don't mind as I can get it off in Liverpool and use the UK breakdown cover I do have.

All in all its been a useful learning experience, if we were spending a few weeks then we could have just waited until Monday, but with such a short trip the sensible option is to start heading back. IT doesn't make sense to push our look and risk being stranded again by carrying on.
76151be7cd4fea839aabbff64b23af09.jpg
795c0bbc5e478055c1f966c37af7b6fd.jpg

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Glad you found a temporary fix rather than hot stranded..

Hi guys, I am on the WAW (South Galway) and have loads of GS bits including a throttle cable.
If you get stuck PM me, I check in here most evenings before bedding down.

Back
Top Bottom