Incipient rust on GS ADV frame....

My centre stand was replaced under warranty however when the replacement started rusting in under a year and less than 2000 miles BMW refused to change it again.

BMW say it's normal my dealer says the bike is not retail quality, guess who loses out?

Check out your consumer rights. In Ireland, your contract is with the seller of the goods and as such it is up to them, and not BMW, to replace/repair the inferior product. "Goods purchased should be of acceptable quality, as described, fit for purpose and corresponding to sample."

I don't know if those words are worth the paper they're printed on. I've just sent an email to the dealer principal of the garage I bought my new Rallye in(The rear shock is corroding). He looks after the cars and was most helpful when I was buying the bike and the salesman wanted €1.5k more than the OTR price on their website (which wasn't their fault either as BMW set the prices on the website, not them:blast)

It will be interesting to see what happens next. Apparently, when you buy a BMW car they send a survey to you asking you to rate your buying experience and if you don't score the full 5 * they really want to know why and chase the sales team. They expect a 5 * service.

As I said in my earlier post the car buyers wouldn't put up with it.

Bikers are not valued as highly it would appear.

It sounds like we were in a similar position.

BMW refuse the claim on my 2015 GS TE saying it's to be expected, VINES then use this as a stick to beat me with.

I'm glad you were able to do a deal and hope that things have improved.

I was concerned that after paying another lump of cash to upgrade my bike I could be facing the same thing in a couple of years time.

I think it's disgraceful and I don't think that BMW car buyers would stand for it.

So did you change your 2015 bike for a new one?

My centre stand was replaced under warranty however when the replacement started rusting in under a year and less than 2000 miles BMW refused to change it again.

BMW say it's normal my dealer says the bike is not retail quality, guess who loses out?

As has been mentioned, it's not rust, it's gravel damage. Some dealers will put on a protective film when replacing under warranty, but I simply don't get why BMW wouldn't do this in the first place.

Good. Only a fool would trade a bike with known issues for another one.

Part of me was prepared to give them another chance, had I been unlucky? Was it a bad batch? Had the bikes improved?

Also my circumstances are changing and I won't be commuting as I'm going to work from home so the GS would never be used in the winter. Mostly I used my scooter but would use the GS in any weather if the scooter went wrong.

The salesman at Vines saw my bike was booked in for a service and MOT and he phoned and said he could offer me a "cracking deal" I thought it was more like a crappy deal.

I think these round the world bikes should be able to cope with a 15 miles across town commute without too many problems.

I must just be unlucky with Coopers they never answer the phone. Then when you get someone (normally from car department) and leave a message they don't ring back.
I am currently busy chasing them about something must have rang 6 or 7 times "we will definitely ring you Friday". And ...............

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you have a corrosion issue that main dealers clearly state affects a batch and get fobbed off, why not contact Watchdog or Rogue Traders and see if Anne Robinson/Matt Allwright fancies doing a feature on TV to publically shame the mothership into action ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would think the various bike publications would have got wind of this by now, or do BMW spend too much advertising with them?

Very true saying that you never bite the hand that feeds.

I must just be unlucky with Coopers they never answer the phone. Then when you get someone (normally from car department) and leave a message they don't ring back.
I am currently busy chasing them about something must have rang 6 or 7 times "we will definitely ring you Friday". And

I think that that is the norm for most car and bike dealers, nothing is too much trouble UNTIL they have got your money then everything changes and worst of all we keep standing for it.

Just got talking to an old boy riding a 20 year old BMW that had less rust than my 3 year old bike.

I don't know if anyone from BMW is reading this but if you are I hope you feel proud.

I sold a 2002 1150 RS and the paint was immaculate.
e4f69dd2d0b8ac5de310120594d9c392.jpg

You would think the various bike publications would have got wind of this by now, or do BMW spend too much advertising with them?

Very true saying that you never bite the hand that feeds.

I sent a link to Ride magazine a year ago about the corrosion and reliability issues. No response.

When they reviewed the GS a couple of months later the magazine noted some suffered from corrosion and to check.

A proper magazine for its reader base would invite BMW to be interviewed... Not like oh to happen as magazine s will not be invited to exclusive all expenses paid press launches

I sent a link to Ride magazine a year ago about the corrosion and reliability issues. No response.

When they reviewed the GS a couple of months later the magazine noted some suffered from corrosion and to check.

A proper magazine for its reader base would invite BMW to be interviewed... Not like oh to happen as magazine s will not be invited to exclusive all expenses paid press launches

It’s why many people, me included, don’t buy those magazines. They’re 95% adverts, with a sprinkling of useful information occasionally. The best one is ABR magazine, as there’s more content than advertising, but even that has a lot more adverts in it now, than it used to.

i was mentioning the exact same thing in the MCN ride 5000 group when they were posting about owner opinions as a few know I had utter nightmares with my water cooled guess what happened the post got deleted including them asking for opinions may have been cause they had there answers but who knows I said with all the brilliant reviews how about a mention of the issues. Hope you guys manage to get sorted

If you have a corrosion issue that main dealers clearly state affects a batch and get fobbed off, why not contact Watchdog or Rogue Traders and see if Anne Robinson/Matt Allwright fancies doing a feature on TV to publically shame the mothership into action ?

If the bike press won't help us because they don't want to lose one of their major advertisers perhaps a BBC consumer programme could be the way forward.

Anyone got any ideas how to get started?

I would happily tell let them see my bike and give them an interview.

Don't think BMW would welcome the publicity.

Back
Top Bottom