Incipient rust on GS ADV frame....

Firefly1955

Reaction score
I have had my 2016 GS ADV TE since new, (coming up to 6k miles) it has always been stored inside and washed and cosseted apart from on camping trips, and never even green laned or taken off road at all.
Yesterday I was washing it and noticed that the black tubular sub frame is showing signs of what looks like rust starting. It's odd looking because it's not bubbling up from beneath more like surface roughness and it's on both sides of the bike on the front most lengths of tubing.
Has anyone else had any experience of the reaction of dealers to this? .....just before I take it in tomorrow for them to look at.

I think Crotchrocket has had the same issue if I remember correctly.

It’s because they don’t prep the metal properly, don’t use undercoat and only apply enough paint to see it off the showroom floor.

They don't 'oxidize' as swiftly as the spokes on a Tenere 660.!
Hopefully I won't get a similar response from BMW dealer as the Yamaha, that bike was a year old.
My cries of 'safety issue' were dismissed. They looked like they were phosphor bronze.:nenau

The shame is that I love riding the bike, it does everything I want better than any bike I have owned.

Due to the "Oxidation" my part exchange offer was derisory so I might as well run the bike until it falls to bits and how long that will be is anyone's guess.

The Sales guy said my bike was part of a bad batch which is somehow my fault when it comes to trading it in.

In 3 years I had lost twice as much as I lost on my Hayabusa which I owned for 6 years and was still free from "Oxidation"

I have had my 2016 GS ADV TE since new, (coming up to 6k miles) it has always been stored inside and washed and cosseted apart from on camping trips, and never even green laned or taken off road at all.
Yesterday I was washing it and noticed that the black tubular sub frame is showing signs of what looks like rust starting. It's odd looking because it's not bubbling up from beneath more like surface roughness and it's on both sides of the bike on the front most lengths of tubing.
Has anyone else had any experience of the reaction of dealers to this? .....just before I take it in tomorrow for them to look at.

I had exactly the same problem with mine from new. Before the first service I noticed paint just falling off.
Asked them to sort it at first service but didn’t want to know, 2 years of fighting it and no joy. So, I ended up stripping it my self and repainted at home.
The paint technique they use is

They use a positive charge on the part and lightly spray with no undercoat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had exactly the same problem with mine from new. Before the first service I noticed paint just falling off.
Asked them to sort it at first service but didn’t want to know, 2 years of fighting it and no joy. So, I ended up stripping it my self and repainted at home.
The paint technique they use is

They use a positive charge on the part and lightly spray with no undercoat

39c1fb615e9721499be7cf9c1326d202.jpg
ccd7f16bb1858ca1af3915a4ddb01889.jpg
4b7de8db70772bae6f029030e9c61256.jpg
e4de5bf781587a2f226e551b1e7226f1.jpg
82b3d9f77926cffd42b782ed3c8d2ade.jpg
42c2edca38fcfb773c22c270357fa29d.jpg
4c5b24d14895c56423a592d7087b1bdb.jpg

You could have a job for life, lol.
Nice job, prep is the key.

Cheers Dave.

Lol thanks
When I took it to the dealer for a service, they asked who did it as there was a job in their body shop. I said they couldn’t afford me

Lol thanks
When I took it to the dealer for a service, they asked who did it as there was a job in their body shop. I said they couldn’t afford me

Nice one....:thumb2:thumb2
Now waiting for reply from dealer, having been inspected and photographed.

New Triple Black standing there..... oh no...here we go again..!!

I have rust appearing on a jan 16 GSA frame but now out of warranty so no hope of getting BMW to fix it. Strange how its always just a bad batch rather than poor manufacturing processes

Mine is May 16 but dealer is trying them for a fix....
It's got patches on all tubes of both rear subframes aaannnnd the rear of transmission casing which I hadn't noticed.
Fingers very crossed.

I had a 2015 GSA TE and my "out of warranty" claim for the frame rust and engine paint bubbling to be rectified was turned down. Bought a TB GSA recently so lets hope things have improved....

I had a 2015 GSA TE and my "out of warranty" claim for the frame rust and engine paint bubbling to be rectified was turned down. Bought a TB GSA recently so lets hope things have improved....

It sounds like we were in a similar position.

BMW refuse the claim on my 2015 GS TE saying it's to be expected, VINES then use this as a stick to beat me with.

I'm glad you were able to do a deal and hope that things have improved.

I was concerned that after paying another lump of cash to upgrade my bike I could be facing the same thing in a couple of years time.

I think it's disgraceful and I don't think that BMW car buyers would stand for it.

Is a rusting centre stand cross brace a viable claim? Obviously caused by stone damage but potentially that's foreseeable on any bike that's left the showroom and ought to have a level of protection added.

Back
Top Bottom