Real world difference between GORE-TEX “PERFORMANCE” and “PRO”?

They’re both laminate construction. The “z-liner” is the drop liner

No they're not. A jacket labelled Performance Shell has a drop/z-liner and the goretex is NOT laminated to the outer layer. It will wet-out sooner than laminate and then you get cold. It will also take much longer to dry, once saturated.

No they're not. A jacket labelled Performance Shell has a drop/z-liner and the goretex is NOT laminated to the outer layer. It will wet-out sooner than laminate and then you get cold. It will also take much longer to dry, once saturated.

It would appear I'm talking bollocks. Klim seem to call their 3-layer laminate Pro and their 2-layer laminate Performance.

You learn something new everyday...

This video about the Klim Latitude says it’s laminate construction and then says it’s Gore Performance shell
https://youtu.be/lFyZoo-BblM

It would appear I'm talking bollocks. Klim seem to call their 3-layer laminate Pro and their 2-layer laminate Performance.

You learn something new everyday...

We got there at the same time :)

So yeah that’s what I’m trying to figure out. Trying to figure out exactly what the pros and cons are. I’m particularly interested in breathability as I get so damn hot.

But the Kodiak is the 3-layer pro but also has more vents.

If it’s just as cool or cooler, I’ll probably go for the Kodiak as I want the better armour.

Wasn't Gore-Tex Performance Shell re-named Gore-Tex Pro a couple of years back?

If you want to avoid baking in your gear, loads of venting is a far more effective solution than the breathability of your waterproof membrane, no matter how much you've spent on your jacket.

Maybe I should have bought the reassuringly expensive €80 rear brake pads from official BMW dealer and not the suspiciously cheap €18 set from the general bike shop...

I love Gore tex ( it doesn't necessarily love me back)

The great con with Gore tex is the waterproof and breathable

It is indeed both but not at the same time IMO
Yep, it doesn't feel like my goretex latitude breathes much (although I don't get the same clammy feeling as when you wear a waterproof liner so I suppose it must be breathing!). Either way, I have the chest vents open more or less all the time. Got caught in a bit of a downpour in France a couple of months back and it kept me bone dry despite me not realising half of the vents were open!

Always hated swapping liners so the Klim is nigh on perfect for me. One jacket that will handle almost any weather we get in the UK. Only gets out of its comfort zone at 30C upwards, maybe a cooling vest would help me with that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have the most basic jacket Klim make, the Traverse. Used it when trail riding with body armour underneath as it was well vented, waterproof and light. Use it now with the addition of D30 armour instead of the suit underneath and it's a brilliant jacket for the road. Biggest difference between this and the top end Klim stuff is weight and abration resistance, as this one isn't covered in armadillo shell or whatever it is they use on the Badlands etc.

No drop liner and stays fully waterproof and dries quickly. Only downside is I bought a smaller size than ideally needed for winter as I can't get a heated jacket underneath or else it'd be a 4 season jacket.

And they're less than 300 quid new......

No it isn't you spent the 80's riding around in the rain in leathers with a silver Rukka plastic space suit over the top of them or even worse in a waxed cotton jacket , Goretex is wonderful

:beerjug:

I love Gore tex ( it doesn't necessarily love me back)

The great con with Gore tex is the waterproof and breathable

It is indeed both but not at the same time IMO

:beerjug:

I have the most basic jacket Klim make, the Traverse. Used it when trail riding with body armour underneath as it was well vented, waterproof and light. Use it now with the addition of D30 armour instead of the suit underneath and it's a brilliant jacket for the road. Biggest difference between this and the top end Klim stuff is weight and abration resistance, as this one isn't covered in armadillo shell or whatever it is they use on the Badlands etc.

No drop liner and stays fully waterproof and dries quickly. Only downside is I bought a smaller size than ideally needed for winter as I can't get a heated jacket underneath or else it'd be a 4 season jacket.

And they're less than 300 quid new......

I also have a Traverse. Top bit of kit but not sure I'd trust it in a road tumble, not least because it doesn't zip to the troos...

There are 3 different types of Gore-Tex generally used in motorcycle jackets & Trousers. (slightly different for gloves & boots etc)

You have Z Liner gore-tex which is quite simple, it's a zip in gore-tex layer which is removable so you can put it in your jacket and take out when needed - great for those who don't want much bulk and know if they'll be riding in rain or not. Gore-Tex liner is small enough to carry whereever you go too just in case you get caught out.

Second option is performance shell. Which is a gore-tex lining built into the jacket. It can't be removed, and it's protecting and bonded onto cordura layers generally. it's 100% waterproof like all gore-tex is, but the downside to it is that your clothing will still soak the water up, so you'll ride out in the rain, get home and you'll be completely dry but your clothing will have soaked up quite a bit of liquid. Takes a while to dry so not perfect for those that ride every day, but for the slightly more "casual" riders, it's brilliant.

Pro shell is the more expensive option, but as you'd expect by far the best. The gore-tex lining is bonded to the outer layer of the jacket, creating a completely seal - meaning the water can't even get through the first layer of the clothing. This means you can go out in pouring down rain, get home and shake your jacket and trousers off, they'll dry very quickly and shouldn't be an issue to use the next day :)

There is a lot more in depth to go with Gore-Tex, but above is a quick overview. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Klim "performance shell" Goretex products are 2 layer laminate and the "Pro" are a 3 layer laminate.

Sent from a U11

Rev'it do a cheaper option of Laminate using their Hydratex membrane (Horizon 2).... I have been using the trousers for a couple of years and will buy the jacket for this winter.

Alpinestars do a Laminate suit using their own Drystar membrane I think it's called the "Yokohama"

If you want the advantage of laminate membrane but can't (or won't) stretch to Goretex Pro clothing.........these are 2 good options.

Sent from a U11

I have both the Badlands pro and the Latitude, they are both laminates and they are both excellent, as stated earlier, the pro shell 3 layer laminate feels heavier and stiffer and very tough, the Latitude 2 layer is lighter and ‘easier’ and because of this more comfortable. I love them both. Both totally waterproof and neither of them wet out like my old Heine Gerricke performance shell.

Hope this helps, your original suggestion that the Latitude is a performance shell is not quite correct as it doesn’t have the gortex liner as a slip liner behind the outer shell, the Latitude has it is incorporated in the 2 layer bonded laminate as one piece of material.

I have both the Badlands pro and the Latitude, they are both laminates and they are both excellent, as stated earlier, the pro shell 3 layer laminate feels heavier and stiffer and very tough, the Latitude 2 layer is lighter and ‘easier’ and because of this more comfortable. I love them both. Both totally waterproof and neither of them wet out like my old Heine Gerricke performance shell.

Hope this helps, your original suggestion that the Latitude is a performance shell is not quite correct as it doesn’t have the gortex liner as a slip liner behind the outer shell, the Latitude has it is incorporated in the 2 layer bonded laminate as one piece of material.

Thanks for the advice. Klim calls the 2-layer laminate “Gore-Tex Performance” and the 3-layer “Gore-Tex Pro”.

Still not exactly sure why 3-layer is better. If it’s just as waterproof and just as breathable, I don’t see what’s to gain from another layer other than a bit more toughness when hanging it over pub chairs or whatever.

Even so, I went with the Kodiak in the end, as it fit me so well. Latitude would have been fine for my needs and I like the lightness, but it was a bit floppy and shapeless in my frame, whereas the Kodiak almost looks tailored for me. That, plus the extra vents and beefier armour, allowed me to justify the cost to myself.

There are 3 different types of Gore-Tex generally used in motorcycle jackets & Trousers. (slightly different for gloves & boots etc)

You have Z Liner gore-tex which is quite simple, it's a zip in gore-tex layer which is removable so you can put it in your jacket and take out when needed - great for those who don't want much bulk and know if they'll be riding in rain or not. Gore-Tex liner is small enough to carry whereever you go too just in case you get caught out.

Second option is performance shell. Which is a gore-tex lining built into the jacket. It can't be removed, and it's protecting and bonded onto cordura layers generally. it's 100% waterproof like all gore-tex is, but the downside to it is that your clothing will still soak the water up, so you'll ride out in the rain, get home and you'll be completely dry but your clothing will have soaked up quite a bit of liquid. Takes a while to dry so not perfect for those that ride every day, but for the slightly more "casual" riders, it's brilliant.

Pro shell is the more expensive option, but as you'd expect by far the best. The gore-tex lining is bonded to the outer layer of the jacket, creating a completely seal - meaning the water can't even get through the first layer of the clothing. This means you can go out in pouring down rain, get home and shake your jacket and trousers off, they'll dry very quickly and shouldn't be an issue to use the next day :)

There is a lot more in depth to go with Gore-Tex, but above is a quick overview. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Careful there dude - not sure your info is accurate?

https://www.gore-tex.com/technology/gore-tex-laminate

Because sweat and rain are forms of liquid cooling?

I wouldn't wear anything else for walking and motorcycle use. Fabulous stuff, but what does seem to matter most is what it's used with.

True.

Never found it much good for accordion playing.

Back
Top Bottom