Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Alaska 2018....out of adversity..!!!

Dream Maker
    We took our bikes back to the rental company with no problems and that was that. Just a quick note about Alaska Motorcycle Adventures to say how accomodating they were and they sorted us bikes out at the last minute. Nancy and Keith know their stuff and will go out of their way to make sure you have a great trip. We had a couple of issues but I guess that's normal for any rental and it's definitely something I'll be considering doing again in the future.

We'd travelled about 4300 miles in 15 days and seen just about everything Alaska has to offer. We were blessed with great weather for the most part and had no mechanical issues whatsoever.

I'd put this trip together at the very last minute after the insurance debacle and I was delighted how it turned out. I think Keith and Shakey enjoyed every mile and although it wasn't the trip we had planned it turned out to be a perfect alternative and in many ways, they'd seen more that they would have done.

Just a word on the F800GSA I used. I've been considering one of these for a few years and have to say I was very impressed. It was comfy, handled well, screen protection was better than expected and the fuel consumption was excellent at around 60mpg. It had Shinko Trailfinder tyres which were really good and similar to a TKC70. The slight vibes at 65-70 can be sorted so I think it's a very under rated bike and a lot of people who plump for the 1200GSA might be better off with an 800GSA.

On the original trip, we were heading down to Santa Rosa California but as we couldn't take the rentals down there that part of the trip also changed so I'll do another small and seperate report on that.

Thanks for reading and look out for me possibly putting this on as a trip in the not too distant future.
    www.unchainedtours.com

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope.
    With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.
    If you have hope, you have everything."

http://www.unchainedtours.com

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Brilliant yet again.
    Thanks for the excellent write up too!
    I’m definitely going to join you on one trip soon.

Beaky Farkler Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    For me this was a trip of many "firsts".
    First Time in the USA / Canada
    First Time trying to figure out how to pack all my bike gear within my free luggage allowance
    First Time riding on surfaces other than tarmac (apart from the west coast of Scotland). etc. etc.

Naturally I was disappointed that the original trip didn't happen as planned but under the circumstances Chris did an excellent job of applying his local knowledge and contacts to give us an excellent experience that I would happily do all over again even if I have to sell a kidney to do it!

OK so we missed out Washington and Oregon this time so they have to go back on the bucket list for next time and we couldn't go to Yosemite because it was closed and on fire but all in all I had the kind of trip that broadens your horizons and stretches your comfort zones whilst at the same time destroying my TV driven preconceptions about the American people (well, the ones we met anyway).

Chris' ride report is excellent but it doesn't cover anything like the totality of our ride experience and as he often says, "you can take the photos but it just doesn't convey the reality". You just can't beat being there!

To use an oft heard phrase - AWESOME.

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Udders View Post
    Brilliant yet again.
    Thanks for the excellent write up too!

+1

As I've said b4 Ash only gets to go on these trips when you boys post them up.
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

Fantastic pics. Chris.

It was throwing it down when we got to the Tangle River Inn in 2016 so it was a welcome relief to get
    inside and get a coffee or three and food while we waited for the storm to go through.
    The stay at The Alpine Creek Lodge was definitely one of the highlights of the trip, the hospitality was brilliant and the
    views unbeatable. You are, literally in the middle of nowhere though.
    The bonus of doing the Denali East to West was, as we neared the Cantwell end of the Denali we got clear views of Mt. Denali which were quite stunning.

Beaky Farkler Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Mt McKinley?

Tangle River and Alpine Creek are superb aren’t they?

Another great ride report, with plenty of pics.....well done chaps, a cracking read

I wonder if my 'ride report' to Devon @ the end of the month will be as interesting.....
    Bounce

KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    KTM 400 EXC

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    Another great ride report, with plenty of pics.....well done chaps, a cracking read

I wonder if my 'ride report' to Devon @ the end of the month will be as interesting.....
    If you sabotage Nutty's sat nav it will certainly be an amusing report

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyBMW View Post
    Mt McKinley?

Tangle River and Alpine Creek are superb aren’t they?
    There's always been a dispute over the name but In 2015 the U.S. Department of the Interior officially renamed the mountain Denali.

When we got to the Alpine Creek Lodge the rain had washed the track up to it out a bit which necessitated some "up on the pegs" trials type action

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post

I'll take you on a rideout Kieth, what, with you me and Nutty what could possibly go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by UturnTony View Post
    I'll take you on a rideout Kieth, what, with you me and Nutty what could possibly go wrong
    Could be fun Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bounce

KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    KTM 400 EXC

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by UturnTony View Post
    I shall look forward to that, Tony

I know a cracking pub in North Devon (Iddesleigh), so if we could do a route that includes that, we could get a spot of lunch there on the Saturday.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345