help with Norway

Do not break the speed limit.
The fines are eye watering.......
Just relax and enjoy the scenery.
If you want to hoon around, go to a different country.

Went with a group of mates about 10yrs ago. We didn't ride daft but some of the roads were smooth, fast and deserted and it was brill whizzing along with blue skies over head , cliffs on one side and the fjord on the other. . I like to stop a lot and take pictures, in Norway the views are stunning and only beaten by the view around the next corner and the next. So, I spent a lot of the trip hooning after the group at silly speeds trying to catch up . I only discovered their strict attitude to speeding a year or so later :eek However, we only saw one cop car out of the towns :thumb

Have a great trip :thumb

Norway is a sodding big country, with a population of 27. You’d be unlucky to get done in the wilds, just be ready with the cash if you do.

If you’ve got the time it’s still cheaper to just get the ferry and ride there. You can easily be in Denmark the same day you get off the ferry at either the Hoek or Amsterdam if you don’t waste time having long meal breaks as you transit cloggy land and Germany and if you want to push on until 8pm you’re in Sweden. Job done, road trip underway :D

Been over a couple of times when the ferry ran from UK... route was into Kristiansand, west coast to Stavanger and Bergen then east over the Hardangervidda Plateau where we accidentally came across the WW2 Hard Water plant at Vemork (just outside Rjukan, Tinn) ... Hero's of Telemark fame/film. We also came across the port the boat sailed from.

The road down from there on our route towards Oslo was most memorable ... bloody river going as fast as we were riding!

Pretty sure you would enjoy the ride west from Oslo in whichever way you route.

One tip though (besides those already given) ... if you're using the small car ferrys to make your way north/south when over on the west make sure you have a timetable as you may get caught out if you don't co-ordinate properly.

Oh to have time off and go with you ... it's a beautiful country with very nice people!

Good luck and plenty on the ride report:thumb2

Oh yes ... nearly forgot ... it does rain every now and then so have the best wet gear you can take:augie

thanks for all advice lads.
4 going, 2 1200gs, 1 990smr & some type of honda.
flying out thursday morning and collecting our bikes in the afternoon then e6 road as far up as we can to loften island, then south again along fjords and back to oslo for 12th august. Really looking forward to it and as said by someone earlier we have no real plan we will just ride day by day.
we plan on huts, hotels and have tents too, if weather good.

From memory 20 yrs ago, I enjoyed these

Head West to Lysebotn (Walk up Kerag) ferry down Fjord to Preikestolen (walk to that)

North to Bergen, Geirangerfjord (Eagles Nest), Trollsigen, Trondheim, Mo I Rana(Arctic Circle Center), Lofotens, North Cape.

South through Sweden to Oslo, call off a Lillehammer(never seen ski jump before)

Simon

Great write-up and thanks for taking the time to share it ... makes me want to go back for more:thumb2

thanks for all advice lads.
4 going, 2 1200gs, 1 990smr & some type of honda.
flying out thursday morning and collecting our bikes in the afternoon then e6 road as far up as we can to loften island, then south again along fjords and back to oslo for 12th august. Really looking forward to it and as said by someone earlier we have no real plan we will just ride day by day.
we plan on huts, hotels and have tents too, if weather good.

With all due respect. E6 south of Trondheim is booooring. Asuming you pick up your bikes in Oslo, I think this routing is far more entertaining.
https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Oslo/63.4793024,10.8996198/@62.2914034,10.3727982,8.38z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m10!1m1!1s0x46416e61f267f039:0x7e92605fd3231e9a!2m2!1d10.7522454!2d59.9138688!3m4!1m2!1d11.315369!2d63.113037!3s0x466cfe315966136b:0x326d6a3c559e0849!1m0!3e0

Back
Top Bottom