How do I get multi-media from the Nav 6 to two headsets?

Bobbin-Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Following from my previous post of a couple of days ago (which hasn't had any replies probably because the post confused everyone else as much as it's confused me) I've spent time reconfiguring our headsets and the Nav 6 to get the best of the capability of the units before I invest in anything better. Although my headset's a Sena 10U my pillion's is a basic Sena 3S, not exactly feature packed so I'm aware there could be limitations.

Both headsets support A2DP/HFP profiles for multi-media, and both will support an additional hands free profile for a mobile phone etc. The A2DP is what we need so I've configured both headsets to function with the Nav 6 using the A2DP for music, my own headset (10U) will receive the nav instructions using the HFP. But as much as I've tried I can't connect the second headset to the Nav 6 without it requesting that I disconnect the first headset, yet with my old Zumo 590 this was perfectly possible.

I've now gone back to both the Nav 6 and Zumo 590 manuals and discovered that this is a pretty major difference - the Nav 6 can only have one headset active at a time, the Zumo can have two. For a device that's designed to be fitted to a flagship touring bike that would commonly be used two-up, it seems hard to believe that the Nav 6 would be "downgraded" from the Zumo on which it is based in such a major way ... so there has to be a work-around for this that enables media from the Nav 6 to be received in two headsets simultaneously? Is this something that the BMW System helmets/comms allows for that can't be achieved with other brand BT devices?

I'm loathed to remove the Nav 6 and fit my Zumo but I'm somewhat disappointed that it doesn't have the full functionality of the Zumo, plus more. Any thoughts?

You can’t do it that way.
You need a second 10U and then “music share” using the Sena app.
Simple and fast.

You’re confusing what the base device can do and what BMW tell Garmin they are ALLOWED to do....

So that's why it's fine with the Zumo and not with the Nav 6! I guess BMW must have their reasons ....

You can’t do it that way.
You need a second 10U and then “music share” using the Sena app.
Simple and fast.

You’re confusing what the base device can do and what BMW tell Garmin they are ALLOWED to do....

I'm not sure that the share music function on the Senas will also share the navigation instructions as I think music and instructions may use different media channels within the Bluetooth connection from the Nav. I'm pretty sure that didn't work on mine, but I had the Sena SMH5 model headsets which are maybe less capable than other models in the range.

Back
Top Bottom