Knock with Clutch In

Happyhenry

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello collective wisdom,
2001 1150GS 62,0000miles has developed a knock with the clutch pulled in (in or out of gear) silent with clutch out.
Worse when hot.
Any suggestions?
HH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better earplugs :augie

Thank you oblertone. Of course I could always adopt my usual approach of ignoring it until it stops working...works well with most of my bikes.

'Tis the way forward; you could always wimp out and schlep down to Steptoe (SW), Motoscot (NW) or Beemerbikes (E) all of whom would cast an ear at it for you.

I have had three bikes like this come to me and I said to all 3 its just a quirk and there's no "bad" sound and nothing in the Oil so I would leave "as is" but monitor and listen for any development

One of the guys wan't satisfied with that and spent £1000 on a gearbox pull, strip down, new mainshaft, new bearings and clutch and rebuilt only for it to appear as soon as he went out and it got hot!

The other two reported that it got no worse each time they came back for servicing for a couple of years and then they bought 1200s

Not meaning to teach yer granny to suck eggs "BUT" do you hold the clutch in at lights or do you put the bike in neutral and release the clutch?

Not meaning to teach yer granny to suck eggs "BUT" do you hold the clutch in at lights or do you put the bike in neutral and release the clutch?

The latter - I put it in neutral and release the clutch.
I noticed the knock today at the end of a commute from Bristol to the City. Long motorway run followed by lots of filtering and very heavy traffic, so stop start and time in gear with the clutch in/out.
I can’t say that I’ve noticed it much before, but I don’t normally use this bike in London traffic.
No other symptoms - gear changes are easy and neutral very easy to find. No clutch slip or drag.
All oils changed 1000miles ago and no nasty bits found.

My R1100RT has knocked since owning it (8 years) its always there when hot on idle, a gentle blip of the throttle up to about 2500 rpm pronounces it on the overrun, another R1100RT I owned previously also did it, so did a couple of mates bikes I listened to over the years

Confident its a characteristic of these engines, the timing chain tensioner has been upgraded on both bikes, the oil and filter is changed regularly (20-50 mineral) and never anything to worry about in the waste oil.

It's probably worth having a quick look at your clutch slave cylinder, and checking the bearing that sits on the end of the pushrod. I had a knock when I first got the bike, only came when the clutch was in, couple of hundred miles later it started making a chirping noise and by that point it was too late and it'd pissed brake fluid out of the slave.

I know you get bikes that have this knock for other reasons but it's a quick check, cheap to replace if it is the problem and will save you destroying your clutch like I did. :blast

I have a carbtune and a twinmax. They seem to both work as well as each other. If i get it right with one then check with the other, they seem to both tell me the same thing. Lately I have just been using the twinmax since one of the rods in the carbtune started sticking.

I did try and get a harmonizer but they are like hens teeth.

?????

It's probably worth having a quick look at your clutch slave cylinder, and checking the bearing that sits on the end of the pushrod. I had a knock when I first got the bike, only came when the clutch was in, couple of hundred miles later it started making a chirping noise and by that point it was too late and it'd pissed brake fluid out of the slave.

I know you get bikes that have this knock for other reasons but it's a quick check, cheap to replace if it is the problem and will save you destroying your clutch like I did. :blast

Thanks. I’ll have a look at that. No chirping at the moment. Just a knocking with the clutch pulled in.

Going home news: OK, so I left work and emerged in my jacket and helmet from 9 hours of air conditioned bliss into the 30C plus heat of the City of London, where the bike had been roasting all day. And lo! There was no knock-knock with the clutch pulled in.
By the time I got to Archway the bike was stinking hot (and so was I) and the knock emerged again.
So I’m not going to worry about it. If it only happens in this heat and in 20mph stop start crawling London traffic, its called character in my book.
I may have a poke about in the clutch slave cylinder at some point, but it can wait until winter.
Thanks for all the advice. The noise was so surprising this morning that I thought that I should seek help.
I’ll let you know if anything develops.
H

Back
Top Bottom