Anyone have influence at a training school in Berks / Surrey?

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A friend of mine is really keen to do her direct access training and test.

She's based on the Surrey / Hampshire / Berks border and needs to do the course at weekends rather than midweek.

All the local schools seem to be booked up until September - is anyone involved with a school in this area, and able to ask a favour?

Seems a shame for her to miss the summer.

Cheers,

Paul G

Many thanks, I've passed that recommendation on. The Ewell centre's not too far away.

Any more ideas?

Paul

Phoenix are a franchise operation. I'm sure all Phoenix operations are good, but some are possibly more effective than others.

How she progress's depends on a number of things

A) How proficient is she? riding for some time, or rookie to rider

She needs CBT & Theory tests passed before she can do Mod 1 or 2

B) How flexible is she, Can she drop things and go to a training session tommorow or other date at the drop of the hat

C) How deep is her wallet? you pay through the nose at weekends -- Instructors do like to have some time at home ;)

D) This is the critical one.. What dates are available for tests ? DVLA will only let you book 2 test dates as a civvie, (mod 1 & 2)
- Instructors can book 4 dates, (as they often have 2 pupils at any one time)

When i was looking to do my Mod 2 looking in July, the earliest dates local to me were October then nothing until Jan the following year!

Weekdays the test was about £80 if i recall - Weekends it went to £150

If she has a healthy bank balance and willing to travel BMW Rookiee to Rider may be an option.

I'd been riding for some time , so after the last CBT i did a days training - then Mod1 Then another days training then Mod2

also you friend has to bear in mind if she does an accelerated test - if she fails Mod1, she has to phone/ cancel 24hrs before the mod 2

otherwise she will loose the fee.

It eases up after the summer season, so more test slots appear - but still busy

Thanks Santa.

I'm from the 'bloke on the pavement with a clipboard' generation when it comes to tests - so that's useful info. :thumb

From memory - it was almost 2 years ago

CBT was within 2 weeks of looking - (March) Saturday £120

Theory 4 week lead time - (Jun /July) Weds (earliest date/ location) £23

Mod One training 1 day July Sunday £150

Mod One Test August Monday £15.50 + £150 (bike hire / instructor)

Mod 2 training 1 day October Sunday £150

Mod 2 Test October Monday £75 + £150 (bike hire / instructor)

The big gap was Aug-Oct due to the training centre having no instructors available - despite having a booked mod 2 test

It took almost a month of ringing round and booking a test blind, hoping the training centre could get an instructor (they did ;) )

Mod 2 tests are £88.50 at weekends as well

Mod 1 training days are reccomended, as you should get an hour or so at a MOD 1 test centre to practice the test

I did training Sunday, and test Monday so everything was fresh from the day before

HTH

Back
Top Bottom