Breva Dilemma

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well here's the thing, I'm looking for an 1100 Breva. There are two, both within 50mls of me that meet my criteria, but I'm torn.

Bike number 1...55plate 2900mls yes 2900.Almost as new condition some nice extras.(mistral exhaust,tank cover and bag,full luggage) first service at 600mls in 2006, not touched since. Price £3.500

Bike number 2... 05 plate 21000mls very nice condition few minor age related marks but no corrosion.Full luggage. Dealer serviced till 10k then serviced by current owner annually. £2900.

Both are 2 owner bikes. Oh, decisions, decisions. I'm leaning toward the 05 bike.

What’s putting you off bike no1?
That’s the one I’d buy:p

Not sure,just the thought of a bike that's been stood for most of it's life.

Anyway been to see bike number 2. My God, it is minter than a mint thing and looks like a bike that's done less than 1k miles. Rode absolutely lovely. One very very fastidious owner. Needless to say it's now mine. Two bike purchases in one day, that's rare, even for me.

Being a Guzzi i'd kinda be inclined toward the higher mileage one too.
But that's down to seeing other peoples experience of older Guzzis, some of which had glitches when new that only got ironed out by previous owners sorting the issues out and putting up the mileage.
They take the depreciation that way too.
... bit like certain modern BM's. :augie

~~~
:duck:

Funny enough,

I'm keeping the options open just in case the GS 1k oilchange is the wrong colour ;)

I dont want to go the jap boredom route, so have identified 2 potential candidates

Ducati S3/4 or MG Norge or Stelvio

Mind you the one Magwa had on here a while back was a stunner

Funny enough,

I'm keeping the options open just in case the GS 1k oilchange is the wrong colour ;)

I dont want to go the jap boredom route, so have identified 2 potential candidates

Ducati S3/4 or MG Norge or Stelvio

Mind you the one Magwa had on here a while back was a stunner

The 1200 sport that Magwa had was a bike that I had renovated in the winter a couple of years ago. Don't discount the 1100 Breva in your search. I ridden 3 of them now and they've all been much nicer than the 1200 to ride. So much nicer in fact that I've sold my 16plate Stelvio and gone to an 05 plate Breva. Having said that I've also just bought a new Tiger 1200.

The 1200 sport that Magwa had was a bike that I had renovated in the winter a couple of years ago. Don't discount the 1100 Breva in your search. I ridden 3 of them now and they've all been much nicer than the 1200 to ride. So much nicer in fact that I've sold my 16plate Stelvio and gone to an 05 plate Breva. Having said that I've also just bought a new Tiger 1200.

I tried the Tiger in the low varient

The engine & final drive were like butter, very nice.

The bars and low suspension funny enough didnt work for me , the bars were to flat / low / forward and it had an odd countersteer on corners -

(although i think this was due to the suspension setup)

Havnt tried a Guzzi yet .. ;)

First opportunity today to go for a little bimble on my new to me 05 1100 Breva. The guy I purchased it from was a very fastidious guy and the bike really is in remarkable condition. I did notice on the test ride that the suspension felt very firm, so before heading out this morning I checked the settings. For some strange reason the settings where all over the place which surprised me as the guy was a motor engineer.

Anyhow set them all back to just slightly firmer than factory. Low and behold it's like a different bike.

This may be Guzzi's most overlooked bike. With the suspension set up properly it's an absolute dream to ride, and although I'm loath to say it, a much nicer ride than my 16 plate Stelvio. The 2 valve 1100 engine is an absolute peach and whilst it doesn't wrench your arms out the acceleration is buttery smooth, with just a very minor flat spot around 4200 rpm.

With just a very little clunk as engaging first gear then every change up and down after that is very quite and very positive. Handling is very neutral clocks are easy to read and in general it's just a lovely bike to ride.

I'm not sure that I'd ever have looked at a Breva, but I look after one for Guy that lives in NZ and was always impressed by the way it rode.

All in all, I like it a lot...Can't wait for my new Tiger 1200 to come though

I enjoyed my 1100 Breva. The wife liked the pillion also. They are stupidly cheap compared to a Norge, and great on long runs with a decent screen. Stein Dinse are good for parts.

I enjoyed my 1100 Breva. The wife liked the pillion also. They are stupidly cheap compared to a Norge, and great on long runs with a decent screen. Stein Dinse are good for parts.

I like the look of the norge, but as you say, nearly 50% cheaper lol

I also enjoy riding my Black 05 Breva 1100 which was purchased a few months ago with 17,000 miles covered. It goes around corners very well. Had a wee problem with the oil pressure sensor which is now renewed and all is well again.
Might possibly see Wrinkleyowlie sometime near Beverley on his Breva as I live in Anlaby.

I looked at a 1200 a few weeks ago,

Nice bike, although the dealer markup was significant ;)

They couldnt tell if it had been rollerised? (there a main dealer too lol)

So interest wasnt high.

The only thing that put me off, was it was a real struggle to get it onto the centre stand compared to my GS.

There was litterally nothing to pull on at the rear.

I heard they have an 1100 version in the workshop being prepped for sale,

it'll be interesting to see how long that one stays there for

I looked at a 1200 a few weeks ago,

Nice bike, although the dealer markup was significant ;)

They couldnt tell if it had been rollerised? (there a main dealer too lol)

So interest wasnt high.

The only thing that put me off, was it was a real struggle to get it onto the centre stand compared to my GS.

There was litterally nothing to pull on at the rear.

I heard they have an 1100 version in the workshop being prepped for sale,

it'll be interesting to see how long that one stays there for

Which 1200 was it, Sport, Griso, Stelvio ? What year ? Later ones were done at the factory. Very easy to tell if it's been rollerised. Ask them to remove one of the valve covers (literally a 2 minute job) the roller cams are very easy to spot. If you're unsure what to look for there are plenty of pics on the web of what they look like compared to the flat one's.

Which 1200 was it, Sport, Griso, Stelvio ? What year ? Later ones were done at the factory. Very easy to tell if it's been rollerised. Ask them to remove one of the valve covers (literally a 2 minute job) the roller cams are very easy to spot. If you're unsure what to look for there are plenty of pics on the web of what they look like compared to the flat one's.

Norge 1200 8v on a 60 plate -

I know it hasnt been rollerised ;) - (friend in the workshop) 12k onthe clock u

I also enjoy riding my Black 05 Breva 1100 which was purchased a few months ago with 17,000 miles covered. It goes around corners very well. Had a wee problem with the oil pressure sensor which is now renewed and all is well again.
Might possibly see Wrinkleyowlie sometime near Beverley on his Breva as I live in Anlaby.

We need pictures Roy

Back
Top Bottom