Travel insurance (Irish residents).

patzx12

Reaction score
Another thread on this subject.

I cannot use VHI due to motorcycle use restrictions.

DO NOT USE THESE GUYS.
https://www.annualtravelinsurance.com/ie/

I was with them, easy to contact when you are signing up. un-contactable after that.
I tried to contact them from San Francisco looking for an extension on the 1 month stay limit.
Emails never responded to and the only phone contact is a premium number.
I was back home before I got an email reply, the "very busy at this time excuse".
I dont know who to use now.

Trailfinders offer motorcycle cover on their holiday insurance, just make sure to specify it when talking to them.

travelinsurance.ie

I have used them a few times and 3 times on biking trips.......but never had to "use" them.

Sent from a U11

They're the lads I've used.

I have a couple of medical conditions and Trailfinders wouldn't quote me before getting clearance from the medical team...........which they wanted me to ring the underwriters in the UK to get.
00 44 number and I hung up after 20 mins on hold.

Sent from a U11

They are all just fecking brokers (middlemen) just touting insurance for the big insurance organisations.

It's a few years ago (2014), but I got insurance with AIG through One Direct. The first time I rang, they told me they wouldn't cover a motorcycle trip but someone else going on the trip had gotten it from them. I rang again and got it no problem. :rolleyes:

I've used HC travel in England.
They are reasonable and tick all the boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelinsurance.ie

I have used them a few times and 3 times on biking trips.......but never had to "use" them.

Sent from a U11

Ive used these guys before.
Can’t say how good the service is as (thankfully!!) I didn’t need to use it. I’m sure most people don’t realise that their standard travel insurance doesn’t cover them for motorcycle related accidents...

http://www.travelinsurance.ie/motorcycling/

So presumably you guys use this travel insurance in addition to the EU travel cover on your regular comp policy?

Why?

I'm heading off latter half September and had been expecting to use just having the EU cover from my Principal policy.

It's travel insurance for you.....like you would take out if you where going on a sun holiday.

Sent from a U11

Standard travel insurance does not cover you for motorcycle travel so in the unfortunate event that you have an accident they will not cover your medical expenses. I'd reckon most motorcyclists are't aware of this. It is necessary to take out separate insurance for motorcycling. I'm open to correction but I think most standard policies might cover you for up to 125cc but some only 50cc! Presumably this takes account of Johhny tourist around benalmedina on a rented scooter but they will expressly exclude higher cc machines.

So presumably you guys use this travel insurance in addition to the EU travel cover on your regular comp policy?

Why?

I'm heading off latter half September and had been expecting to use just having the EU cover from my Principal policy.

Your regular comp policy (with Principal in your case) won't cover things like flight cancellations/loss of luggage/hospital costs etc. Your Principal insurance covers the bike itself and not any issues in relation to your 'holiday'. When getting travel insurance for a trip on the bike, it's important to ensure the activity of motorcycling is covered (and check what the cc limit is), so if you come off and are hurt, it's your travel insurance that will pay for hospital bills, repatriation etc (depending on level of cover of course).

For the most part, your motorcycle insurance doesn't cover this stuff, though there are exceptions, hence the need for additional holiday insurance. :thumb2

I was just trying to differentiate between the European riding cover on your bike insurance and actual travel insurance for yourself.

Sent from a U11

I was just trying to differentiate between the European riding cover on your bike insurance and actual travel insurance for yourself.

Sent from a U11

Exactly! I think there’s some confusion here!

Regular motorcycle road insurance covers liability and damage to vehicles / 3rd parties in the event of road traffic accidents which you may be held responsible for.

Travel insurance covers you personally for medical expenses incurred as a result of an accident when abroad but will usually exclude larger cc motorcycles and other “hazardous” activities such as skiing. It is therefore advisable to take out a specific policy to cover such risk.

A buddy of mine had a small enough off road accident on a biking trip in South Africa a couple of Xmas's ago.
He broke some ribs, his collar bone and punctured his lung.

A medivac (jet) was required to get him from Botswana to Jo/berg for proper treatment and then a 5 week hospital/hotel stay was needed before he was passed fit for the flight home (first class )
We reckon the bill was well into 6 figures.................he would have been in big trouble without travel insurance.

Sent from a U11

travelinsurance.ie : good website, easy to use.
However, i had some questions, rang the phone number (in small text at the bottom of the page) and waited.....
after a time a recording told me to leave my number and they would get back to me. So i did.
Got fed up waiting - rang again. Same thing.
Eventually got a call back the next day.

Meantime i got onto 123.ie - where i had got travel insurance for the past 3 years.
Had to go through the usual "but we dont provide cover for motorcycles" conversation / gave the usual reply of "i'm not looking for motor cover - just travel insurance" :rolleyes: . Quoted last years policy number and the penny finally dropped with them.
End result is a premium of €75ish for myself and Mrs Og / travelinsurance.ie was €88. little difference in cover but much better to deal with on phone.
Spoke to a real person straightaway.
If it's any use heres the contact details of the very helpful call centre chap, who i presume is on commission.
(gods help him if he is - coz he certainly earnt it dealing with me! :D )

123.ie
Ph: 01 841 8549 ask for Joe King

at least he will be familiar with the "issues" of travelling by Motorcycle by now. :D

Insurance is only ever tested when you make a claim. I was reassured by the service (so far :augie ) from 123. I was not, by the service from travelinsurance.ie - who are by the way a team of ten people :eek: as i found out when the chap finally did phone me back. From London. :blast

as they say "your mileage may vary"
Good Luck

Good info, especially as my house insurance is with them and they were good to deal with on a claim a few years ago. Thanks for climbing the burning rope Marc :)

Back
Top Bottom