Thread: Bazman's France trip July 18.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Bazman's France trip July 18.

Cut to the chase, one week off and loads of miles to do , set off Thursday morning cracked on and managed to get to my in law's abode near Limoges by Friday afternoon. Had a quick spin out on the Saturday to do some of La Route Richard Court de Lion. Stopped at Montbrun chateau, where rumour has it, Angelina and Brad Pitt viewed it a couple of years back to purchase as a holiday home, but no swimming pool led to them declining!!
    Sunday had me up early and after some great back roads had me nearing the Millau viaduct. Temps were starting to rise sharply now, and they'll gear dispensed for mesh jacket and armoured jeans. Suitably refreshed( for about 10 mins ), my bed and breakfast was looking further East on the D999 after Le Vigan, a chateau no less! And only 60 Euro, quiet night and meal and drinks in the courtyard just what I needed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Fantastic mate...

Great pics.

Sent from my London Taxi

Monday morning and head to Nimes to view the Roman amphitheatre and take morning coffee. Heats stsrting to get high at 10am 28 degrees ! Verdon gorge and routes des cretes next. Amazing views at every turn, but quite busy as it is the height of the holiday season, note to myself!
    Afternoon coffee and cake in castellane before heading south on the Route Napoleon and my digs at le relais de l'Artuby, highly recommended, good food, garage for the bike and clean rooms.
    Tuesday arrives and take the rest of the Routes Napoleon to Grasse, then Nice, where it all went tits up, too much traffic , too much heat and nowhere on the front to park up and take a photo.
    Take a left and hit the motorway turn off at Menton and heard of the hills and col de Turin, morning coffee at Sospel is much needed and cooler up in the low mountains.
    Who decided to lay gravel on the hairpins on the col de Turin? Meant for very safe and reserved riding I can tell you
    Col de la Bonette next and wow absolutely stunning Vista's and not to busy apart from them pesky lycra clad folk clamberingfor a photo opportunity at the peak!! Leisurely ride down as few gendarmies lurking about! And to my digs at Jausiers which was full of bikers mainly French, German and Swiss etc, I was the token Brit, as an aside never encountered one UK biker the whole time I was down south.

Wednesday morning and I'm off towards Gap and Grenoble on the route Napoleon, was originally going to finish the Routes des Grande Alpes but in all honesty found the cols tiring with all the tight hairpins etc, and wanted more flowing twisty roads, which I have to say found on the Napoleon, keep the rest of the Alpes for another time.
    Ended up in an Ibis at Chalon-sur-Saone. After 34 degree heat for the last few hours an aircon room was what I required and few beers to unwind, and litres of water. You've got to be careful when riding any distance in that oppressive heat, so many water stops ensued, and not many per stops lol.
    Thursday morning and I'm up and away on the paeage at 6am to get to the tunnel, good idea of mine, as the temps stay relatively low till 10am then mid thirtys. I get to the tunnel for around midday and get on earlier train, bonus, but don't count your chickens....train broke down before we left, so off it and onto the next, which thankfully set off and into the UK. Its now 1.30pm and I've another 400 miles to do on top of the 400 I've just done in the morning, my plan was to break it up above London get digs then the rest on Friday.
    Nah bugger that just want home and feel quite relaxed as had over 2 hours off the bike at Calais.
    Feck the heat on the M20 is 37 on my gauge, and doesn't abait till Cambridge and only to 32. Never mind plenty of water and hightail it home arriving 8.30. Been a long day but , moto skivves, proskins base layer and that barrier cream they use on the pushbikes saved the day
    Loved the trip and my own company for the best part was fine, but can get lonely at nights in the bar when no one speaks English

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
    Fantastic mate...

Great pics.

Sent from my London Taxi
    Thanks mate

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Most enjoyable, fanks for sharing it with us...
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

Fairplay ... good solo ride and great pics ... thanks for sharing

Excellent photos .. apart from the couple with that bloke in them

Fabulous pictures, thanks for sharing , looks stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Most enjoyable, fanks for sharing it with us...
    No problem, glad you like them !

Quote Originally Posted by thebuyer View Post
    Fairplay ... good solo ride and great pics ... thanks for sharing
    Many thanks, enjoyed it .

Quote Originally Posted by mw3230 View Post
    Excellent photos .. apart from the couple with that bloke in them
    I wholeheartedly agree !!

Quote Originally Posted by Sils View Post
    Fabulous pictures, thanks for sharing , looks stunning.
    It was , really enjoyed it , cheers !!

Agreed.

Many thanks for posting that. Really interested in your opinion on solo trips too. I have booked two so far but both times someone 'invited' themselves along. I like the idea of my own company and not worrying about someone else.

I can accept the evenings might be quieter but a good book and a drink could cater for that.

Great photos and good hardcore days in the saddle.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyNeil View Post
    Agreed.

Many thanks for posting that. Really interested in your opinion on solo trips too. I have booked two so far but both times someone 'invited' themselves along. I like the idea of my own company and not worrying about someone else.

I can accept the evenings might be quieter but a good book and a drink could cater for that.

Great photos and good hardcore days in the saddle.

Neil
    Cheers Neil,
    you are correct, a book and wine/beer is a good combo, and suits me fine to be honest.
    How many times have you felt the need to "be sociable" and chat endless crap to your mates, when all you want is a bit of down time and chill out.
    Don't get me wrong i'm no mary hinge and like a good crack, but lately like the option to have a quiet one and to please myself wins, selfish, damn right!!
    Same on the road, fancy a stop or batter on, down to me and no one to upset.
    Very liberating to tour on your own, and people watch in the cafe's bars etc, especially when the language barrier is there, can be a right laugh.
    Cheers for the words,
    Baz.

Runny eggs and strangers, white lines and unmade beds.
    That's some serious high mileage days there!

(Was it insect bites or wind-burn that led to the grotesquely swollen face? )

Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    That's some serious high mileage days there!

(Was it insect bites or wind-burn that led to the grotesquely swollen face? )

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Nice one thanks for sharing your trip.