R nine T urban GS in Chestermotorrad - what should I look for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny

Trustworthy Scouser AND
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Toxteth scouser, made good ..now hiding on the W
OK.....never owned a 1200 but Chestermotorrad are getting in an Urban GS so I hope to have a quick look when it arrives.

Just briefly ( as it is a very low mileage example ) what, ( if any ), problems should I look out for? Bit like how
long is a piece of string...but I've never bought from a BMW dealer before and any advice would be welcome :thumb2

:beerjug:

OK.....never owned a 1200 but Chestermotorrad are getting in an Urban GS so I hope to have a quick look when it arrives.

Just briefly ( as it is a very low mileage example ) what, ( if any ), problems should I look out for? Bit like how
long is a piece of string...but I've never bought from a BMW dealer before and any advice would be welcome :thumb2

:beerjug:

To be honest very little to look out for. Assume it will be sold as an approved used bike and so will still come with a full 2 years warranty.

Lot's of used examples out there now so make sure you know what is a good price and I would factor in the cost of a Wilbers rear shock as the standard is not that great.

How low mileage is it i.e. does it still need it's running in service which will cost around £180.

Then is it a normal model (cast wheels) or the X model with wire wheels and heated grips as standard?

No pics on Ebay yet......only 389 miles

advert:-

ABS, Heated grips.
Premium Approved Used BMW R nineT Urban GS X with standard fitment ABS, LED Indicators, Cross Spoke Wheels, Chrome Exhaust and Heated Grips.

Supplied as a Premium Approved Used BMW with 24 months Warranty & European Roadside Assistance, 12 months Tax, HPI Check, Approved Used BMW Check and Valet.

Thanks for the reply, appreciated :)

Can’t remember how tall you are but if you are over 5’10” you may need an extended ride to make sure you don’t find it hideously uncomfortable, which may be why yet another 9T is up for sale with such low miles......

Just been perusing the R nine T's etc. and I do love the Akropovic twin silencers on the BMW R NINE T Scrambler X ABS ( same colour as my new MT09 Sport Tracker, which is a pity ) . Does the Urban come with this silencer or is it an added expense? New Urban can be had for £10,500.

Just been perusing the R nine T's etc. and I do love the Akropovic twin silencers on the BMW R NINE T Scrambler X ABS ( same colour as my new MT09 Sport Tracker, which is a pity ) . Does the Urban come with this silencer or is it an added expense? New Urban can be had for £10,500.

No- Urban comes with a single low exhaust.

The Scrambler exhaust can be retro fitted to the Urban and they do come up second hand but you would also need the Scrambler pillion frame as well as the mounting point is different.

Looks like the bike at Chester doesn't have ASC (traction control) which may not be an issue for you but it does reduce the value, especially when it comes to reselling it.

Williams had a '17 plate with ASC a couple of weeks ago at £9k which I thought was good value, it sold quite quickly I guess as it's no longer on their website.

You can see all used ones here:

https://approvedused.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/UK/ergebnisse.cshtml

Would look like this with Scrambler exhaust and pillion frame (ignore the huge tail light - that's an American market thing):

Alternatively if you do not want to carry a passenger you can remove the pillion frame completely and use this bracket from BMW:

which I have done on my Scrambler:

For what it is worth the standard can on the Urban is actually made by Remus and is a little louder than the twin pipe Akra that comes standard on the Scrambler.

I've never bought from a BMW dealer before

Never mind the BMW dealer.
As a thieving, bagsnatching Scouser, the whole concept of buying anything will be alien to you. :D

That's the version I would prefer, thanks Paul. I wonder if many do this, look's far better IMHO?
BTW, can you still have a twin seat on a bike without pillion footrests ?

Attachments

• Urban_SCR_EX_2.jpg
    Urban_SCR_EX_2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 422
That's the version I would prefer, thanks Paul. I wonder if many do this, look's far better IMHO?

Yes you can still have the twin seat as per the above photo - it just limits the weight you can carry on it.

Yes, but you can’t carry a pillion...

I was told recently by an MOT tester that a dual seat with no pillion foot pegs was an MOT FAIL

That is what I was told as well. If it has a dual seat fitted it must have ( chain guard :D ) and footrests. TBH honest, swaying back to a Z900rs Cafe :eek: as I don't think the model I like actually exists unless I throw money at it !

P.S. Mr Fat, sell me back my Z1300 :)

I was told recently by an MOT tester that a dual seat with no pillion foot pegs was an MOT FAIL

This is true. If it has one part of the pillion provision then It must have the other - so it works the other way around too - if you have a rear seat hump fitted in place of the pillion seat then you should remove the pillion foot pegs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not heard of that one before - just as well it's only a 15 minute job to refit the pillion frame/footpegs then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom