ANYONE TRIED USING A TABLET AS A SAT NAV ON THEIR BIKE?

Well, the tablet and mount are on the bike so I'm going to play around with different navigational and mapping apps and see how I get on.

Attachments

• IMG_4728.jpg
    IMG_4728.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 424
Well, the tablet and mount are on the bike so I'm going to play around with different navigational and mapping apps and see how I get on.

Strewth! it must have the front profile of an HGV! -

Internal or external GPS? btw

Lee. I have gadget envy !

Strewth! it must have the front profile of an HGV! -

Internal or external GPS? btw

Internal GPS, so it works great with off-line mapping like maps.me - free global mapping. I'm also playing around with the Tom Tom app. It's £14.99 per year for unlimited miles but more sophisticated. There are loads of other options out there and the tablet takes Micro SD cards up to 64Gb so you can loads maps/routes. The tablet (waterproof, shockproof) cost me £92 2nd hand on Ebay and the powered mount £75 new from Amazon, so for under £170 I've got an 8in touch screen Sat Nav mounted on the bike that can also be used just like an Ipad - take it off the bike at the end of the day, long on to wifi, surf the net, check emails etc. It can also be used as a phone if you load a sim card!

Internal GPS, so it works great with off-line mapping like maps.me - free global mapping. I'm also playing around with the Tom Tom app. It's £14.99 per year for unlimited miles but more sophisticated. There are loads of other options out there and the tablet takes Micro SD cards up to 64Gb so you can loads maps/routes. The tablet (waterproof, shockproof) cost me £92 2nd hand on Ebay and the powered mount £75 new from Amazon, so for under £170 I've got an 8in touch screen Sat Nav mounted on the bike that can also be used just like an Ipad - take it off the bike at the end of the day, long on to wifi, surf the net, check emails etc. It can also be used as a phone if you load a sim card!

I tried the TT speedcam app - Totaly useless, on a holiday in Devon it kept giving overspeed warnings on most roads, despite doing well under the limit & totally failed to give any speed

camera warnings. even when I had parked opposite one and asked the app to find my location!

I use Sygic on my phone, for holidays, etc. It's a pretty stable platform with a wide range of options for use. The speed camera function works well. You can download individual countries so it's not using bandwidth.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just downloaded TomTom Go and that looks decent. Only £14.99 per year to upgrade to unlimited miles and they have maps for most of the world.

Just use Maps.me its free and has the world free, really works well on tablets and phones, and maps are offline also, so no internet needed.

https://maps.me/

At the risk of asking a daft question, can you download GPX routes to either TTGO or Maps.me? I'm heading to France on Sunday for a few days, lastminute.com decision, and am used to using my mobile as GPS. I'm happy to pay for software if I can use it on my mobile, shelling out for a dedicated unit is overkill for my daily uses.

Thanks.

At the risk of asking a daft question, can you download GPX routes to either TTGO or Maps.me? I'm heading to France on Sunday for a few days, lastminute.com decision, and am used to using my mobile as GPS. I'm happy to pay for software if I can use it on my mobile, shelling out for a dedicated unit is overkill for my daily uses.

Thanks.

In Tomtom you can import GPX using mydrive, however not sure if TTGO can or not, and apparently Maps.me is not possible yet, but that is only my knowledge, maybe someone knows a way, with maps.me, but if you are using an Iphone, there seems to be a way, read link below.

http://beyondtheroute.com/2016/09/15/how-to-use-gpx-kml-files/

In Tomtom you can import GPX using mydrive, however not sure if TTGO can or not, and apparently Maps.me is not possible yet, but that is only my knowledge, maybe someone knows a way, with maps.me, but if you are using an Iphone, there seems to be a way, read link below.

http://beyondtheroute.com/2016/09/15/how-to-use-gpx-kml-files/

If you want to import a gpx file into maps.me to use on your iphone you can, you would need to convert the gpx file to a track using garmin basecamp and then convert the track to a kml file using any online converter, or download one to your pc/mac, once converted to a klm file just email it to your iphone and open it with maps.me job done, hope this helps.

If you want to import a gpx file into maps.me to use on your iphone you can, you would need to convert the gpx file to a track using garmin basecamp and then convert the track to a kml file using any online converter, or download one to your pc/mac, once converted to a klm file just email it to your iphone and open it with maps.me job done, hope this helps.

Nice one :thumb2, wondering how to do it with Andoid now......;)

Back
Top Bottom