2010 GS1200 Adventure ignition barrel removal.

sparky 2010

Reaction score
Hi, Lets try this again, I had my bike stolen but was lucky I got it back same day. No real damage it was towed away by a quad, only thing they did was force the bottom of the ignition barrel the part with the small micro switch in then they jammed a blade in the ignition and damaged this part. I have drilled the two anti tamper bolts and removed them, now I'm stuck because the key won't turn so i can't get the barrel out to repair it. Is there any fix for this? Also i have seen on Ebay a used lock set with key and a control box, is this my only option and is the key paired with the control box?
Thanks
Ian.

I took the ign switch out of 04 to 06, I dont remember the details but it was not a problem and easy to code one you tap off the end plate and take out the long retainer pin.
Can you put up some pictures to jog my memory.

They are easy to get out if you can turn the key, there is a small hole at the bottom and if you turn the key press the clip at the bottom the barrel will come out, unfortunately
I can't turn the key.

Are you trying to get the tumbler / key assembly out of the ignition body?
Or is the body of the switch damaged?

Im thinking its the steering lock mechanism in #1 in the above drawing. I am going to try with a dremmel to cut the body away and save the lock tumbler assembly I can then rebuild the tumbler, I have spare wafers off when I coded the locks on my panniers. The above assembly is available on Ebay for £99.
Thanks.

Being an obsessive engineer my toes are twitching to have a go at that.
Soldier on and you will succeed.

Have you tried a screw remover to get those bolts out?

Alternatively drill off the heads and pull it apart. Then you can use whatever you like to turn the remaining bolt shank.

Help Required !!!!!!!

Did you manage to replace the key tumbler in the new ignition housing - as i have the same kind of issue on a r1200GS 2007my !!

My ignition key/tumbler just comes out the housing when i turn the key - I have been looking for information on how to strip and put in my existing tumbler in a replacement ignition and swap the electrics over.

Question is ?? Can i just buy an ignition (without a key) and remove the existing lock tumbler and replace it with my own tumbler/key??

Is there a way of getting the tumbler out without the key ??? and replacing it !!

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom