Thruxton R gearing

leadfarmer

He / Him / That Fucker
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
Quick question for Thruxton R owners

How do you find the gear ratios ? Too low ? Too high ? Just right ?

The reason I ask is because I find my T120 too high geared, the first 4 are all you need ! The standard Thruxton has the same ratios and sprockets as the T120 (17/37)

The box is identical in all 3 bikes so I’m thinking of swapping to Thruxton R sprockets (16/42) to lower the gearing

Cheers :thumb2

I'd be inclined to just drop one tooth on the front first to see how you like it but bare in mind that this may put your speedo out

Isn’t the speed measured at the wheel on the New Triumphs?

I believe it’s measured using the abs ring so the speedo should not be effected

I'd be inclined to just drop one tooth on the front first to see how you like it

I’ve seen Thruxton R owners on another forum going the other way and fitting T120 sprockets :nenau

Might just get the 42 tooth rear and see how it is

That might be too much but let us know how you get on :thumb

They are very long legged these new water cooled Triumph twins ;)

OK that’s done

Took the trumpet for its annual service this afternoon and got a 42 tooth sprocket fitted at the same time, left the standard 17 tooth on the front

Bear in mind that my dealer is 110 km of the Ardeche’s maddest twisties from my home, if you’ve been there you’ll know what I mean :drool

Anyway, I is well chuffed :chickendance

It’s now a lot more flexible, before you often felt you were in either too low a gear or too high, it’s a great improvement with the gears much better placed, especially in the twisties

It now has 6 useful gears too, where before you only used the first 4, the last 2 were like overdrives

It’s only running about 600 rpm or so more than standard at about 110kmh which is fine as this is not a bike that I’m going to cruise up the autobahn on

It’s a quick and cheap mod that makes quite a noticeable difference, I’d definitely recommend it to anyone with a T120 :thumb

The standard chain is plenty long enough, strangely it’s almost at the end of the adjuster travel from new with the 37 tooth, so you’ll also get some extra adjustment range as a bonus :rob

Quick question for Thruxton R owners

How do you find the gear ratios ? Too low ? Too high ? Just right ?

The reason I ask is because I find my T120 too high geared, the first 4 are all you need ! The standard Thruxton has the same ratios and sprockets as the T120 (17/37)

The box is identical in all 3 bikes so I’m thinking of swapping to Thruxton R sprockets (16/42) to lower the gearing

Cheers :thumb2

The gearing on my Thruxton feels about right. It may have the same ratios as the T120 but it's a higher output engine so can pull the gearing more easily

Back
Top Bottom