Problem registering due to V5 error

Franm

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
I brought my recently purchased UK airhead to the NCT centre today to pay the VRT and do the whole registration thing and unfortunately the man rejected the application due to discrepancies as regards the year of manufacture.
According to a VIN lookup the bike was manufactured in Dec 1996 however the V5 cert special notes section states that it was registered overseas (German import to the UK) and says Manufactured in 1998. Another document says first registered in 1997.
I asked the guy to register it for what ever year he prefers as it made little difference to me, although 1998 would be my least desired as that is too new for the model. Anyway he says because there are discrepancies I cannot complete the process and he can do no more. He says that I need to get the V5 corrected.

Does anyone on here know if that's a hard or easy thing to get done? Can I request this from the DVLA myself given that I'm not a UK citizen? Should I see if the previous owner can get it changed for me?

Any suggestions as to how to sort this issue are appreciated?

Cheers
Fran

It is just my thoughts but if you bought it from a dealer, would it not be their problem to sort out for you as you have been sold something that is not correct.

I've contacted the man I bought it from (private sale) but he's away on holiday at the moment.
I'm trying to see what all my options are at the moment and see if it's an easy or difficult thing to rectify.

You can contact the D.V.L.A. , which will be like a breath of fresh air to you , as your probably used to dealing with the
Irish not so civil service , The DVLA will help you at every Juncture .
Failing that , your local Customs office will be the next port of Call .
Be aware , you have now presented the vehicle for importation , and have 30 days to complete .

Failing all the Above , I will take it off your hands .

Thanks.
I did ask about the 30day time limit and he said that it won't be a problem.....let's see.

Thanks.
I did ask about the 30day time limit and he said that it won't be a problem.....let's see.

I know a Maun in Derry , that could give you a note to say that the Vehicle has been out of the Jurisdiction should you enter into a complication with them . Do Try your local Customs Office , they are usually helpful and can make an immediate call.
The 30 day is for real . Its now your responsibility , even though you have genuinely tried .
Seizure and or a fine , €50 is the norm ... Dont ask how i know ! .............. W**K*Rs , but in fairness i have an awful attitude.

I know a Maun in Derry , that could give you a note to say that the Vehicle has been out of the Jurisdiction should you enter into a complication with them . Do Try your local Customs Office , they are usually helpful and can make an immediate call.
The 30 day is for real . Its now your responsibility , even though you have genuinely tried .
Seizure and or a fine , €50 is the norm ... Dont ask how i know ! .............. W**K*Rs , but in fairness i have an awful attitude.

I may need the services of ur maun in Derry. I have a couple of classics to do before brexit.

I was in touch with the DVLA this afternoon via their online chat. They tell that i just need to request a permanent export certificate. Does anyone here know if this cert states the year of manufacture. Cheers.

I was in touch with the DVLA this afternoon via their online chat. They tell that i just need to request a permanent export certificate. Does anyone here know if this cert states the year of manufacture. Cheers.

Customs . They have the Answer . Theres a branch near you . Ye can be fucking sure theres one in limerick ! wey all the Gangsters in it .......

Ok, do not worry about the 30 day rule once you have started the process. When I presented my recent import to the VRT monkey . . . . . . she was from Eastern Europe. As part of the ID process she would not take a letter from the Revenue to me as a valid document. Her boss backed her up. I didn't bother going back as I was heading off to Spain on holidays. A few weeks later I re presented the same bike and the same documentation to an Irish girl in the same office and guess what ? She took it all. No penalty or mention of it. After she gave me my reg number and the few bits of paper I asked to speak to her boss . . . . . . . . . :augie. He was silent as I pointed out that the same paperwork was now acceptable. SSo don't be put off by talk of a big fine.

Contact bmw UK by email, and ask for a headed letter stating the date of manufacture, I had to get the registration changed on mine, it was registered with a dating letter from the BMW club on a C plate, but was manufactured much earlier, the letter from BMW was the thing that got the change, they did it for free, but it was a couple of years ago, it’s now on a W plate

Ok, do not worry about the 30 day rule once you have started the process. When I presented my recent import to the VRT monkey . . . . . . she was from Eastern Europe. As part of the ID process she would not take a letter from the Revenue to me as a valid document. Her boss backed her up. I didn't bother going back as I was heading off to Spain on holidays. A few weeks later I re presented the same bike and the same documentation to an Irish girl in the same office and guess what ? She took it all. No penalty or mention of it. After she gave me my reg number and the few bits of paper I asked to speak to her boss . . . . . . . . . :augie. He was silent as I pointed out that the same paperwork was now acceptable. SSo don't be put off by talk of a big fine.

No one mentioned a BIG Fine , there is a Fine and or seizure . The 30 Day Rule is for real , make no mistake .
The Fine is Eur50 . Its for real . They can call and Seize , Its for Real . Again on both fronts I know .

1977 will give you free tax and mot in the Uk , is it the same in S. ireland? 1998 and you have to wait until April 19 for eligibility
Steve

Update.
I was progressing this along nicely with the DVLA having sent them what I hoped were all their required documents including a stamped letter from my local BM dealer and a printout from the BMW worldwide database showing the date of manufacture. They are now saying that they want a letter from the manufacturer as the one from the dealer is not sufficient :blast. Does anyone know if it's an easy or difficult task to get this from the BMW head office as in the manufacturer?

would have thought the dealer was your best bet to acquire that on your behalf.
Would DVLA settle for an affadavit/sworn statment or whatever done with a solicitor or justice of the Peace or the like?

Just an update......
I finally got my bike registered yesterday evening.
The DVLA wheels turn slowly but they do turn. They eventually issued an export certificate to me with the correct year of manufacture date however I had to supply an official dating certificate from BMW HQ before they were happy. A letter from my local dealer on official BMW headed paper and a printout from their worldwide database was not sufficient. The previous owner purchased this cert for me at a cost of €45.00 with the assistance of the vehicle dating officer in the BMW Club. Once all this was in order the VRT people were happy. Speaking of the vrt process, I was surprised how thorough the official was. On a wet and wintry night he checked and double checked all numbers on the bike and also asked me to start it up even though it was on the trailer. He also insisted on verifying that all the lights worked.
Thankfully this is all behind me now.

Just an update......
Once all this was in order the VRT people were happy. Speaking of the vrt process, I was surprised how thorough the official was. On a wet and wintry night he checked and double checked all numbers on the bike and also asked me to start it up even though it was on the trailer. He also insisted on verifying that all the lights worked.

Great News , Health to enjoy your new Machine.
Ahh , The VRT , and any Irish civil or not so civil servant , a strange breed. I just dont understand their mentality . Thankfully for me i quite enjoy bringing the hassle to them , and would simply
never allow them to bring it to me . All i can say is thank god for printed legislation , otherwise we would live in a Police State , Republic , My Arse !......
On Balance , there is a Few out there in Civil service land that are OK , but Jaysus ,they are in the Minority.

Just wait till Brexit... that’ll keep you busy....

Back
Top Bottom