What do you love or hate about the R Nine T ?

Boxerlust

Reaction score
Let me start what I love about the BMW R Nine T as I ride one of the last original ones made in 4/2016. Euro-3 and 5mm less trail than the bikes made from 2017 on...
First I love the looks and sound and how the bikes feels.It is something truly special.It has enough power,great brakes and sportbike handling.I feel it is even comfortable for trips up to 500 miles a day for my 6 3' frame.
I would have preferred Telelever because TL is better than even the Ohlin$$$ fork I put on mine.
I really hate nothing about the bike but BMW could do some easy improvements before the EU kills the R Nine T line come spring 2021 with their stupid EU-5 regulations that will give us even quieter and leaner running engines and spelling the kiss of death for air-cooled engines...:(
-20 mm more suspension travel on the rear because you really have to run a stiff rear shock (also Ohlins) so that the bike does not bottom out.
-ESA would be nice !
-Also a practical center-stand,too !
-A real gas gauge instead of a light and mileage indicator counting backwards !
-A outside temperature gauge !
-Factory luggage like on the R1200R with bags and top case but at least you can get good stuff from Hepco-Becker now with the only penalty of an extra key and flimsy locks.
-And of course very easy to do for BMW lighter tubeless cast wheels right from the factory on the R Nine T as they put on the Pure !
Only hipsters stupid enough to run heavy tubed wheels would pay extra for the spokes...:D Others like myself have to shell out an extra couple of grand for decent wheels...:(
Anyways that is how I see it.The R Nine T is currently my favorite bike period...:beer:
Looks,sound,feel,character,fun to ride;what's not to love ?
I feel the same about the Pure !
The Racers seating position is too extreme for me and the R Nine T/"Urban" GS is very good looking but with the 19 inch front wheel unfortunately not as fun and frisky when the road get's twisty...Maybe BMW should offer a 17 inch front for this one as well as it really is no dirt bike with little ground clearance and short suspension travel.Otherwise it is ace,too.
Much smaller and easier to handle than a 2004-13 GS !

No R 9 T riders to commend with their hits and misses or do you all agree...:D ?!
I would buy the R Nine T a second time but I hope next time I don't have to spend another 2 grand to exchange the heavy tubed spoke wheels for lighter tubeless cast ones like they come stock on the Pure !
Of course the Pure makes more $en$e but the original looks better...:thumby:

I had the original RnineT which i bought back in May 2015 after i'd had enough of the HD and the 'scene' that goes with it.. Once i'd fitted clip on bars, removed the rear subframe, converted to single seat, fitted rear hump, changed the mirrors, indicators, rear light etc i absolutely loved the bike. Great fun to ride, all day long comfort for me, great handling etc and nothing too complicated about riding it. The exhaust note was sublime and was perfect in it's standard form and the bike never failed to put a grin on my face.

Fast forward to July 2017 and i got to throw a leg over an Urban GS and that was it for me. Whilst they are essentially the same bike, the Urban GS is just so perfect. Simplicity to ride, no electronic gimmicks, single clock, no fuel gauge to worry about just a light to let you know your running low, an even better exhaust note which pops so perfectly on overrun. Great looking and, again puts a massive smile on my face every time i ride it. Haven't done loads to it other than remove the mirrors and replace with a single bar end jobbie, replace the rear end for the Wunderlich conversion, add a set of crash bars and hand guards and thats about it.. On a sunny day it'll always be my go to bike if it's just me riding, the GSA is there if the missus wants to join in but i'll go for the Urban every time...

If i had to criticise one thing it would be the TKCs, love the look and feel of them but they wear down too bloody quickly. I've got less than 1600 miles on the bike and the rear tyre is looking like it's probably not gonna last another 500 miles..

For the way the bike makes me feel when riding it, i can live with that...

Agree with u both, my Urban is simple, more smiles per mile than my Rallye, although the big Gs is more usable in the real world, ie long trips 2 up in crap weather & loaded with kitchen sink, but other than that I really enjoy the Turban

Only thing for me at 6 foot 6 it was just a bit too small. Loved the look, the way it went but even with bar risers footpeg lowered etc it still felt cramped . So traded back to GSA which I love, had 8 of them and 2017 model is the best bike I’ve owned. Still love the look of my scrambler but I couldn’t use it everyday as I need a top box . I fitted one to the scrambler and it looked shite .

@snaponphil;how would you compare the handling between your GS-Rally and Urban/GS ?
I like the idea of getting a Urban putting Hepco-Becker aluminum bags/topcase on it and replace the GS-ADV !
Just think going faster than 70 the GS steers quicker...am I wrong ?

@snaponphil;how would you compare the handling between your GS-Rally and Urban/GS ?
I like the idea of getting a Urban putting Hepco-Becker aluminum bags/topcase on it and replace the GS-ADV !
Just think going faster than 70 the GS steers quicker...am I wrong ?

Yes the Gs Rallye steers slightly quicker, but for me not noticeably, although the riding position has a lot to do with it, I’m sat ‘in’ on the Rallye as opposed to ‘on’ the Turban.

Thanks Phil ! I would love to buy a T Urban because of looks and tubeless spokes and put Hepco-Becker aluminum panniers on it.But the 17 inch front wheel Nine T's are more fun to ride...Maybe the 10mm height adjustable Ohlins shock can overcome this ?

Thanks Phil ! I would love to buy a T Urban because of looks and tubeless spokes and put Hepco-Becker aluminum panniers on it.But the 17 inch front wheel Nine T's are more fun to ride...Maybe the 10mm height adjustable Ohlins shock can overcome this ?

My rear shock is screwed up pretty high, must have been set up at the dealers as the salesman was a tall guy, mine was a demo with 125 miles on the clock, I think he was running it in carefully

Do you talk about the stock shock ?
I was talking about the Ohlins shock for the Urban/Scrambler that has + 10 mm height adjustment not the preload adjuster to give the front less trail...

I did not like the cramped riding position of my 2017 R Nine T ( and I am only 5’ 4” tall) but I altered that by fitting bar risers and footpeg extenders.
Now I love everything about it.

Moddy I'm 6'3" have lower S1000R handlebar and higher Gilles Tooling rearsets fitted and find mine 2016 R9T 500 mile a day comfortable...:thumb2
I think after a few thousand miles the R9T except for the Racer is comfortable enough to make long trips on.Especially if you fit the good looking Wunderlich half fairing which keeps the wind off you...IMHO
I would go with mine one long trips like I do on my GS without hesitation.Even about thinking selling the GS because the 9T is more fun...:bounce1

Only thing for me at 6 foot 6 it was just a bit too small. Loved the look, the way it went but even with bar risers footpeg lowered etc it still felt cramped . So traded back to GSA which I love, had 8 of them and 2017 model is the best bike I’ve owned. Still love the look of my scrambler but I couldn’t use it everyday as I need a top box . I fitted one to the scrambler and it looked shite .

Exactly I’m 6 foot 4 and took one for a test ride it was just too small or low.
I was fairly gutted cos they are beautiful bikes and I wanted one.

However on the other hand I really love my 2006 GSA and don’t really have space for another bike.

I thought the same after a 15 mile test-ride.After 7000 miles and one long vacation trip I think the R9T is GS comfortable and more fun to ride...

Moddy I'm 6'3" have lower S1000R handlebar and higher Gilles Tooling rearsets fitted and find mine 2016 R9T 500 mile a day comfortable...:thumb2
I think after a few thousand miles the R9T except for the Racer is comfortable enough to make long trips on.Especially if you fit the good looking Wunderlich half fairing which keeps the wind off you...IMHO
I would go with mine one long trips like I do on my GS without hesitation.Even about thinking selling the GS because the 9T is more fun...:bounce1
Dodgy hips and replacement knees made it uncomfortable for me, but a few minor adjustments and a small Dart screen means I have travelled a few thousand miles in relative comfort.
It is more comfy than my 700GS now.

All this R 9 T talk has had me re considering swapping my Gs for one, one long test ride and i have shook hands on a new heritage R 9T with 1 mile on pre reg,
I was pleasantly surprised how it handled bumpy twisty roads, and comfort/ riding position ok for me, i have the small air hawk off the gs in case,

Congratulations...:beerjug:
If you put some lighter tubeless wheels on it you'll like it even more...:thumb2

All this R 9 T talk has had me re considering swapping my Gs for one, one long test ride and i have shook hands on a new heritage R 9T with 1 mile on pre reg,
I was pleasantly surprised how it handled bumpy twisty roads, and comfort/ riding position ok for me, i have the small air hawk off the gs in case,

Number 21 by any chance,? Great bike, looked at it myself more than once

What does # 21 stand for or who used it ?
Good looking bike for sure !

Back
Top Bottom