Has this been posted ?

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Update to TFT coming. A new page will appear with full "Tom tom" maps!

This update will be available to the original TFT. Bit strange they've moved away from Garmin.
Bye bye Navs,

This update will be available to the original TFT. Bit strange they've moved away from Garmin.
Bye bye Navs,

While TomTom vs Garmin remains to be seen, it does make sense in many ways.
TomTom is a Dutch company, Garmin is US. A quick look at the map will give an answer.

But even if physical distance is of less importance than before, there is one more and perhaps vital difference.

TomTom is based on the Open Source idea. I'm not thinking money, but rather that the TomTom software probably will integrate a lot easier with other software, as will be needed in a virtual display.

That said, Garmin are not amateurs, and I don't expect them to just "let go" of a potential marked.
Only the future will show what it brings….

While TomTom vs Garmin remains to be seen, it does make sense in many ways.
TomTom is a Dutch company, Garmin is US. A quick look at the map will give an answer.

But even if physical distance is of less importance than before, there is one more and perhaps vital difference.

TomTom is based on the Open Source idea. I'm not thinking money, but rather that the TomTom software probably will integrate a lot easier with other software, as will be needed in a virtual display.

That said, Garmin are not amateurs, and I don't expect them to just "let go" of a potential marked.
Only the future will show what it brings….

Could also be that they hedging their bets on this new galileo satellite system, so not depending on US stuff

Nope but probably confirms the removable tablet for later, so first prototype with navigation, sounds cool, then goodbye Nav6

Lots of cheap Nav units in the for sale section soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why's that Andy?
I take it you havnt got TFT?
Wondered how it would take for the haters to appear lol

The nav is very useful for displaying bike data in addition to the TFT.

Yep that is why I like the Nav 6 otherwise Tomtom is actually better, but cannot at the moment do this, but if they start making maps for the TFT screens, it will be logical that they do the same.

If it does come to the existing TFT I reckon it will just be a better display of directions rather than full navigation.
I don’t know if the TFT has a GPS chip in it but I doubt it (maybe it does if you have the SOS function for location?)
But I don’t see it sending map imagery over Bluetooth, it’s a lot of data for those protocols. NAV units themselves can be a bit slow rendering data they have locally let alone transmitted over Bluetooth.
I could be all wrong but I would have thought they would have made a big point of it a while ago even if it was a “coming soon” feature to up sell TFT for all new bikes.
I reckon what we will get is enhanced directions and some other functions rather than a full NAV- but I have been wrong before

If it does come to the existing TFT I reckon it will just be a better display of directions rather than full navigation.
I don’t know if the TFT has a GPS chip in it but I doubt it (maybe it does if you have the SOS function for location?)
But I don’t see it sending map imagery over Bluetooth, it’s a lot of data for those protocols. NAV units themselves can be a bit slow rendering data they have locally let alone transmitted over Bluetooth.
I could be all wrong but I would have thought they would have made a big point of it a while ago even if it was a “coming soon” feature to up sell TFT for all new bikes.
I reckon what we will get is enhanced directions and some other functions rather than a full NAV- but I have been wrong before

The TFT does not have (as far as I know) or need a GPS chip, because it gets its navigation capabilities from the smartphone (with installed BMW app) that you pair it with. My only reservation would be whether the TFT has enough space to display a full map without compromising the other essential information like speed and rpm, but this is going in the same direction as cars which use Android Auto or Apple Carplay to mirror your smartphone display on a secondary TFT display (though normally not the main instrument panel).

The nav is very useful for displaying bike data in addition to the TFT.

The additional software installed in the NAV 5 and 6 were developped prior to the TFT display, and at the time it was a natural choice for an additional display.
Now that the TFT is here, i guess the NAV6 (and may be later 7) will be kept as long as the TFT is optional.
But sooner or later the TFT will be the only choice, and then, whatever information displayed on the GPS may be displayed on the TFT.

Having seen the virtual instruments on Audi and VW, all I can say is that is very addictive :friday

The Nav 5 /6 doesn't show any additional information than the TFT.
Navs life span has been cut short.....

Andy. Im just getting a solicitor to write up a document exposing my source for you.

The TFT does not have (as far as I know) or need a GPS chip, because it gets its navigation capabilities from the smartphone (with installed BMW app) that you pair it with. My only reservation would be whether the TFT has enough space to display a full map without compromising the other essential information like speed and rpm, but this is going in the same direction as cars which use Android Auto or Apple Carplay to mirror your smartphone display on a secondary TFT display (though normally not the main instrument panel).

From what I can tell when paired with the phone the phone does not share the GPS data with the TFT rather it just sends the information to say “take next left” and the appropriate audio instructions.
Apple car play used to require a usb connection to work for the amount of data it needed to send. CarPlay 2 will work with Wi-Fi (and some Bluetooth) but is quite new.
So you are correct in that the TFT doesn’t need a GPS receiver as the phone does the heavy lifting.

I just think this is going to be a big ask for the phone to send enough data over Bluetooth to display a live map on the TFT that is constantly changing. It’s a lot of info to be updated live. It will kill the phone batteries pretty darned quick. No way you could get a days riding out of it. Maybe the TFT will be able to cache map sections and all the phone needs to do is feed your location.
There is going to be a load of complaints I reckon with all the various phones that are out there with various speed and battery life.
Look I could be wrong but I think what we will get is much better instructions and display but still not full NAV replacement (unless that TFT has much more capabilities that have not been switched on yet and BMW has kept quiet on).

Back
Top Bottom