G650 XChallenge for Sale on eBay

Seems cheap...

Thanks for heads up John, just contacted seller.

Must be sold now....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180806-140945.jpg
    Screenshot_20180806-140945.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 168
Hi there!

I picked this up yesterday and rode it back to Exeter, Devon.

This is my first 'off road' bike and first BMW for that matter - my other weapon being a R1 4xv, (I only use this a handful of times a year) and wanted a dual purpose bike to cope with back lanes and light off road riding.

On inspection there are pros and cons..

Good bits:
Tourtech large tank, bag rack and pannier racking, up rated Hyper Pro rear shock, new subframe in 2012, Remus very loud can, Givi screen, new chain and sprockets, new battery, swivel foot pegs.

Not so good:
Front mudguard and headlight are held on with an ugly bracket - will replace this asap with either better m/guard and decent bracket.
Screen is helpd on with cacble ties and making the indicators wonky which drives me mad lol.

On the way home I stopped for fuel, and then it wouldn't start! I left it for 20 mins to cool down... After a quick google I think this must be the decompression lever which I plan to replace as well.

Overall its a tidy bike just needs some TLC to get it up to scratch, I'll do that over winter plus give it a service, & check the neutral switch. Need to ride it to see if there are any other niggles which need addressing.

I'll post some pics up - if there's anything else I should check feel free to let me know.

Many thanks
Alan

Hi and congrats on your purchase.

Some desirable additions on your bike; TT tank (rare) amd hyperpro rear shock (good)

Plenty advice on here or advrider should you need it.

Enjoy

Hi, what is the difference between the models apart from wheels / mudguard as you have one.
Cheers

Engine, gearbox, main frame, fueltank the same

Fairing, panels, wheels, forks, suspension, seat, rideheight etc vary between the models.

A quick google search will reveal pics of all 3 bikes, and the blurb/reviews when launched.

Welcome to the world of X bikes....

Thanks all for the warm welcome

John - unfortunately no I didn't get the original side panels with the bike. And thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction re hot starting issues, sounds like your an expert given you bike count lol :) I think it'll be worth while paying for a subscription just for the spare parts as things seem to be thin on the ground...

I'll keep the thread updated with any work / findings I come across.

Really looking forward to getting out on it and exploring some lanes!

Thanks all for the warm welcome

John - unfortunately no I didn't get the original side panels with the bike. And thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction re hot starting issues, sounds like your an expert given you bike count lol :) I think it'll be worth while paying for a subscription just for the spare parts as things seem to be thin on the ground...

I'll keep the thread updated with any work / findings I come across.

Really looking forward to getting out on it and exploring some lanes!

A subscription is worth it for the camaraderie and humour alone! Far better value than a TV license.....it is only the cost of an air filter a year, or 3 fancy coffees!

Great bikes that got slated by journo road testers when they were launched...what do they know of real world biking eh? :cool:

Only now, 10 years down the line, do people realise just how good they were. I find the gearbox sprocket upped to 17 teeth is fine for my road riding and gives longer legs. Off road it would mean a lot of 1 and 2 work, but the 15-tooth standard on yours I would imagine would allow it to pull itself up a brick wall if you could get the tyres to stick....maybe the standard X country 16 tooth is a good compromise for the Challenge? I suppose it depends on how tricky the off road bits are. I don't know anything about that kind of riding, but on road I can do 500 mile days with no problem on the X country and a days work at the other end.

I had my maiden voyage today, which saw 40 miles of Devon's finest back lanes whilst eyeing up some potential BOAT's - I came back with a big grin on my face. :D

One thing I'm surprised about is how easily it eats up hills, blip the throttle and no hesitation there's full power, perfect for this neck of the woods. The second good thing was how smooth the ride is - yesterday I was on the R1 on A roads and being bumped around all over the place but not on the GXC.

When I came back I left the bike for 5 mins and tried to start it from hot, a couple of sluggish turns later it coughed into life, good to see its not completely a no go when re starting. I purposefully didn't stop while out just encase I couldn't get it going again.

Re' riding off road I think I'd feel more confident doing that in a group as I'm always wary of meeting an angry farmer or local... plus if the worst happened and I came off - an extra pair of hands would help.

One odd thing I did notice was when I went to start the bike first thing this morning, I turned the key to on position, waited a few seconds for the dash to go through its usual cycle and then everything went dead, no dash no lights or buttons working. I turned it off then on again and the same thing happened. A bit unnerving but the next try seemed to be as expected... and the rest of the journey was fine.... anyone ever seen that before? I do wonder if someones wired in a 12v outlet and messed something up?

Right.... cup of tea time and off to the 'bay to buy some goodies...

That'll be the wiring in the lower barrel of the ignition. If you're going to use the bike off road, pull it down and wire in a suitable switch hidden on the bike somewhere. Been through three of them over the years and now given up, especially as I've been left stranded in the middle of nowhere on more than one occasion.

If you want to test it, you can just about get your fingers around the wiring. Put the ignition on and see if it happens while moving the wiring.

Then pay the subscription for the site for more advice!!! :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom